The Architecture of Happiness by Alain De…

The Architecture of Happiness (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Alain De Botton (Author)

Member:fakelvis
Title:The Architecture of Happiness
Authors:Alain De Botton (Author)
Info:Vintage (2008), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, SpokaneB2P, tistje, Academic-Magic, bmwilson1988, Whitefang4, zanneK, lissener, katie

English (32)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (34)
A cool look at the evolution of architecture. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 27, 2016 |
At first I thought the nouns should be reversed, ie, the Happiness of Architecture. But I began to realise that the book isn't so much about architecture as it is about people and how they express themselves with architecture, as they do with other art forms. He is using architecture to explain humans. He anthropomorphises archictecture. Architecture becomes a frozen emotion. He says that “In essence, what works of design and architecture talk to us about is the kind of life that would most appropriately unfold within and around them” Design is used to show what we want to be, or what we want our values to be. It springs from “…the need for idealised forms to stand as a defence against all that remains corrupt and unimaginative within us.” The human psyche naturally seeks balance and ‘beautiful’ architecture provides that, a psychological balance and therefore mental well being and happiness. “In literature, too,” he says, “we admire prose in which a small and astutely arranged set of words has been constructed to carry a large consignment of ideas.” De Botton’s book is just that: a small and astutely arranged set of words that carries a large consignment of ideas. Which brought me to happiness.
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book but it wasn't what I was expecting when I picked it up (to be honest I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting). Still, the theories about why some architecture works or doesn't, the idea that we look for in art or architecture what we lack in ourselves or our society did get me thinking.
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Seemed incredibly devoted to a touchy-feely, almost pop psychology, view of architecture and architectural history. I got the feeling I'd really hate de Botton if I spent any time with him. Still, for a someone who doesn't know anything about architecture, this was an interesting and useful read. I'm sure there are better introductory books on architecture, but I'm not asking for my time back or anything. ( )
  Brendan.H | Jul 21, 2013 |
The author does not discuss anything new, he just puts it all very well together, chose excellent illustrations to make his points.
It is written in such fine and clear language and structure, that it just flows of the pages. Such a pleasure to read and to use as a little nudge to contemplate about a few truths in life. ( )
  Des2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
for Charlotte
A terraced house on a tree-lined street.

The Achitecture of Happiness is a dazzling and generously illustrated journey through the philosophy and psychology of architecture and the indelible connection between our identities and our locations.One of the great but often unmentioned causes of both happiness and misery is the quality of our environment: the kinds of walls, chairs, buildings, and streets that surround us. And yet a concern for architecture is too often described as frivolous, even self-indulgent. Alain de Botton starts from the idea that where we are heavily influences who we can be, and argues that it is architecture's task to stand as an eloquent reminder of our full potential.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

A journey through the philosophy and psychology of architecture and the connection between our identities and our location.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141015004, 0141806753

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible