First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

First Day Jitters (edition 2000)

by Julie Danneberg, Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)

Member:SSorrels
Title:First Day Jitters
Authors:Julie Danneberg
Other authors:Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)
Info:Whispering Coyote Pr (2000), Paperback, 32 pages

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

Recently added byprivate library, YvetteLopez, akbookworm33445, Dre603, lovable_bak33, amberthornton, meb246

Sarah Jane Hartwell is scared and doesn't want to start over at a new school. She doesn't know anybody, and nobody knows her. It will be awful. She just knows it. With much prodding from Mr. Hartwell, Sarah Jane reluctantly pulls herself together and goes to school. She is quickly befriended by Mrs. Burton, who helps smooth her jittery transition. I could also relate to this book because I am always slightly nervous on the first day of school. At the beginning of third grade I switched to a new school. I have never been so nervous for the first day of school. I definitely had the first day jitters that day more than I have ever before in my life. If I would have read this book as a kid I would have definitely related and it probably would have helped immensely. ( )
  cconsolian | Nov 5, 2018 |
Sarah doesn't want to go to school but Mr. Hartwell is persistent in waking her up and getting her to go on her first day of school. At the end of the book, the reader finds out that Sarah is the new teacher at the school. The author does a great job with showing students that teachers get nervous as much as students do for the first day of school. The illustrations are very colorful and pull the reader into the story. This is a great book to read on the first day of school. ( )
  etranchant | Oct 6, 2018 |
I loved this book! It starts out with Sarah Jane Hartwell not wanting to get out of bed. It is her first day at a new school and she is overwhelmed thinking about the new building and the new kids. The illustrations in this book compliment the subject perfectly. The images are colorful, busy, and honestly overwhelming. They really capture the craziness of a new school year! Throughout the book, Mr. Hartwell convinces Sarah to get dressed, grab her lunch, and he drives her to school. The principal meets her and leads her through the winding and populated school. On the last page, the principal is introducing Sarah to the class and it turns out...she's the teacher! I just loved this surprise ending and I think it would be a great ice breaker for the students to know their teacher is just as nervous for a new school year! This twist ending made me flip back through the book and re-read it knowing it was the teacher getting ready the whole time, and that more than likely, Mr. Hartwell was her husband, not her father! ( )
  owaguespack | Oct 4, 2018 |
I loved this book because it speaks to the ultimate feeling of anxiety that I feel every time I start new classes. The ending made this book even more relatable because I'm sure I'll be more nervous on my first day of teaching than I ever was as a student on my first day. This book can make children feel like they have adult issues, and that investing fear into such a common event is wasteful.
  CaputoJohn | Sep 17, 2018 |
In my opinion, this is a fantastic book. To begin, I love how realistic the illustrations in this book are and how well they go along with with the story. Next, even though I am not teaching on my own yet, one day I will and may have the same first day jitters. Another thing I really love about this book is the plot, it is very suspenseful. Throughout the entire story, you think the young girl is a student, when in fact, she is the teacher. This story is great for children because it lets students know that it is alright to be nervous. It is all about facing fears and overcoming them! ( )
  mdiven1 | Sep 9, 2018 |
To Jack and Buddie -J.D.
For Matthew, who never gets "first day jitters" but willingly posed for me anyway, with love -J.L.

Good book for showing that teachers can be nervous too.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158089061X, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Sarah is afraid to start at a new school, but both she and the reader are in for a surprise when she gets to her class.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Charlesbridge

4 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 158089061X, 1580890547, 1580891268, 1580891470

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible