First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

First Day Jitters (edition 2000)

by Julie Danneberg, Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)

Member:MelissaSiobhan
Title:First Day Jitters
Authors:Julie Danneberg
Other authors:Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)
Info:Whispering Coyote Pr (2000), School & Library Binding, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:first day of school, fiction, nerves, realistic fiction, feelings, school, twist plot, read aloud, anxiety, teacher, students

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

Recently added bySarah_P, lar041, private library, jac050, elfschild, Lxm024, khendr4, winfield1

In my opinion, the book "First Day Jitters" is a great book for young readers and would be a great first day of school read. The first thing I really liked about this book was that you had to read all the way to the end to see the surprise. The book misleads you to believe that the main character, Sarah, is a student who is nervous to start at her new school, but when you get to the last page, it is revealed that Sarah is actually a teacher coming to a new school for the first day. Another thing I liked about this book was the use of vocabulary. While this book would definitely be a K-2 level, I liked the inclusion of descriptive vocabulary that made the text come alive. The author uses words like "tunneled," "snapped,"stumbled," and "fumbled" to add to the feeling of nervousness Sarah must be feeling. I also liked that the illustrations were detailed and included white space on some of the pages so the reader could focus on the text. The illustrations seem to be done with watercolor and strong black outlines to make each character and object clear. The big idea of the story was to not be nervous about the first day of school and to feel comfortable in a new environment. ( )
  khendr4 | Oct 30, 2014 |
I love this book! I heard it for the first time during the first week of school at my student teaching placement. Like the rest of the class, I thought that it was a student that had the first day jitters! As you read toward the ending of the books, it's actually the teacher that has first day jitters! This book shows that it's not just students that have first day jitters, but teachers also get nervous! ( )
  aredoble | Sep 24, 2014 |
This is the story of Sarah Hartwell's first day of school. Cute story with a surprise ending. ( )
  skm88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
good for students to see that teachers are nervous on first day too
  hdn5009 | Dec 4, 2013 |
Teacher is nervous about her first day of school.
  mikiodonnell | Nov 2, 2013 |
To Jack and Buddie -J.D.
For Matthew, who never gets "first day jitters" but willingly posed for me anyway, with love -J.L.

Good book for showing that teachers can be nervous too.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158089061X, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Sarah is afraid to start at a new school, but both she and the reader are in for a surprise when she gets to her class.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:42 -0400)

Charlesbridge

Four editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 158089061X, 1580890547, 1580891268, 1580891470

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible