First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

First Day Jitters (edition 2000)

by Julie Danneberg, Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)

Title:First Day Jitters
Authors:Julie Danneberg
Other authors:Judith Dufour Love (Illustrator)
Info:Whispering Coyote Pr (2000), School & Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:first day of school, fiction, nerves, realistic fiction, feelings, school, twist plot, read aloud, anxiety, teacher, students

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg

34 months - Everyone gets nervous on their first day of school, you're not alone. We also absolutely loved the dog in the book because it looks and acts just like our wire fox terrier that passed away two months ago. Forever more this dog will be called "Moo" when we read this book. :) ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
c. I believe this is a great book because the pictures will deceive the students and any other reader of the book by thinking that it is a child’s first day of school. The pictures help show what the text does not. For example, when Sarah is dragging her feet because she is nervous for the first day of school the text just says that she pulled the covers over her head, but the pictures show that she is getting dressed not wanting to go. I really like how the language flows around the pictures, literally. For example, on pages 16 and 17 the text is in zig-zag form throughout the page. I think it really makes the book interesting because you really the sense of how the main character is feeling. The big message of this book is that everyone has a hard first day of school, especially in a new school, with new students, new friends, etc. Students would be able to relate to this book everywhere, and this would be a great icebreaker. ( )
  BrianaFries | Oct 20, 2015 |
Girl is scared and worried about going to her new class. We look at all the fears she may have and then find out that the girl is actually the teacher, not a child. Shows children that adults and teachers can be nervous about new things as well.
  miki.odonnell.1 | Feb 20, 2015 |
I found this story to be very interesting and realistic. The author uses very descriptive adjectives to describe how Sarah feels as she walks into her new school. I enjoyed reading this book because of the cute and realistic storyline. This story was told from the perspective of a new student and adds the feelings and actions of the principal and parents. This story does a great job of showing that everyone has the jittery, nervous feeling when we are in a new school or job. ( )
  jspare2 | Feb 18, 2015 |
Best book for a teacher to read on the first day of school. It always loosens up the room and helps students see their teacher as nervous just like them. Even for students who know how it ends, they still benefit from its message, especially on the first day of school. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
To Jack and Buddie -J.D.
For Matthew, who never gets "first day jitters" but willingly posed for me anyway, with love -J.L.

Good book for showing that teachers can be nervous too.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158089061X, Paperback)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Sarah is afraid to start at a new school, but both she and the reader are in for a surprise when she gets to her class.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

4 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 158089061X, 1580890547, 1580891268, 1580891470

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible