CatSpeak : how to learn it, speak it, and…

CatSpeak : how to learn it, speak it, and use it to have a happy, healthy,… (edition 2001)

by Bashkim Dibra, Elizabeth Randolph, José Dennis (Illustrator)

Member:drbubbles
Title:CatSpeak : how to learn it, speak it, and use it to have a happy, healthy, well-mannered cat
Authors:Bashkim Dibra
Other authors:Elizabeth Randolph, José Dennis (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Putnam's, c2001.
Rating:**
Tags:2012, Library, Nonfiction, How-to

Catspeak:: How to Communicate with Cats by Learning Their Secret Language by Bash Dibra

2012 (1) 21st century (1) animal behavior (2) animals (6) cat (2) cat language (1) cats (19) essay (1) feline (1) how-to (1) J (1) kids (1) library (1) Library Hold (1) loc:D (1) N:S:B (1) non-fiction (6) other (1) paperbackswap.ped (1) pets (4) read (1) reference (4) regalato (1) S1 (1) science (1) SL NF (1) swapaholics (1) training (1) vet (1) WH (1)

Read during Winter 2002/2003

I didn't learn all I expected to from this book on cat behaviour but I liked that the little chirping sounds my cat makes to me are the sounds a mother cat makes to her kittens and she is treating me as such. Hmmmm.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Cat Speak had all the worst qualities of a really bad self-help book, presenting advice that was either common sense dressed up in pseudo-science or which sounded good, but wasn't. The author begins by talking about how famous he is for his work with dogs, but he's really always loved cats too (honest!). The self-aggrandizement was pretty annoying and read more like an ad than a passage by a cat lover. Things only got worse from there, starting with some gimmicky lists such as "The Seven Instinctive Feline Behaviors" and the "Six Special Feline Abilities and Idiosyncrasies". The advice for understanding your cats mood was mostly of the obvious type - at least, no one in my family has ever had trouble telling when our cat is angry, sad, or hungry without someone to explain what different ear angles mean. If a cat wants you to understand how it's feeling, they're pretty good at letting you know. Where the book really went wrong was when it tried to give scientific explanations for cat behavior. One mistake they made is referring to cats as nocturnal, when they are actually crepuscular (awake at dawn and dusk). While this might seem nit-picky and unimportant, as someone about to adopt a cat it would be nice to know that they might (like my cat Maggie) be really wild as you're going to bed and want lots of attention in the morning - but not all night. In a lot of cases, I just felt like the author was trying to do too much in too little space. He went into just enough detail to get it wrong and not enough detail to explain cat behavior accurately. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Well, let's see. It . . . parts of it are about cats . . . and . . . um . . . there are useful tables on pages 133 and 138 . . . and . . . that's about it, really, for those who have ever crossed paths with a cat. Did I mention the tables on pages 133 and 138? Those were good. ( )
  drbubbles | Nov 29, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to cat owners who appreciate the unconditional love and joy a cat brings to their lives.
There is a fable I like: It tells us that the devil, who knew that God created the earth and all of the creatures upon it, decided to create mice in order to destroy the earth's crops and, as a result, destroy humankind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451207092, Paperback)

Cats are intelligent and reasonable animals, capable of enormous affection and loyalty and willing to cooperate with their owners-if asked to do so in a polite manner. With dogs, one commands; with cats, one suggests. Knowing which "suggestions" to make, and how to make them, is the key.

In CatSpeak, Bash Dibra shows cat owners how to do the previously unthinkable: train their cats! Understanding feline body language, facial expressions, vocal signals, and the instinctive behaviors that make up CatSpeak, the unique language of cats, is vital to the endeavor. So are the three P's: patience, persistence, and praise. The author takes the reader step-by-step in forming a new, mutually satisfying human-feline relationship.

With easy-to-follow instructions and complete, up-to-the-minute information, CatSpeak provides everything you need to know to have a happy, healthy, well-mannered cat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:43 -0400)

Discusses cat behavior and cat training, and provides information about such topics as breeds, socialization, bringing a cat home, verinarians, food, exercise, facial expressions, and cat tricks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,678,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible