We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

We (original 1924; edition 1993)

by Yevgeny Zamyatin, Clarence Brown (Introduction)

Member:lemasney
Title:We
Authors:Yevgeny Zamyatin
Other authors:Clarence Brown (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Twentieth Century Classics (1993), Paperback, 225 pages
Tags:dystopia, russian, politics

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (1924)

Recently added byprivate library, Morgae, AK23, hannah0772, jockoflocko, cupocofe, jacquelinia, kennc, Saku71
Legacy LibrariesWilliam Gaddis, Danilo Kiš
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, 2810michael)
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (tehran)
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    Red Star: The First Bolshevik Utopia by Alexander Bogdanov (leigonj)
    leigonj: As We (1920) is anti-communist Russian science fiction, Red Star (1908) is pro-communist Russian science fiction. They are equally superb.
    Aelita by Alexei Tolstoy (DuneSherban)
    DuneSherban: While thematically distinct from We, Aelita shares its problematic view of early Soviet society, and can also be read as a discourse on totalitarian society, revolution and Bolshevism (published originally in 1923).
    Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: an even earlier dystopia novel from 1908
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (myshelves, VictoriaPL)
    myshelves: Dystopian novel.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Oct326)
    Day of the Oprichnik by Vladimir Sorokin (2810michael)
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (myshelves)
    myshelves: Dystopian novel. Wikipedia says: "Ayn Rand's Anthem (1938) has several major similarities to We, although it is stylistically and thematically different."

English (119)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (124)
The book that was the progenitor for A Brave New World, 1984 and their ilk. A police state doesn't need to spy on citizens who are observable in their glass apartments. They are mere minions socialized to produce efficiently. A bleak look at the future. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
As the first non school book I've read...in, well, too long, and I was really excited to have it be a dystopia novel! I found the unique futuristic world where everything is reduced to it's mathematical base, I think that this novel may have had something lost in translation (from the original Russian).

I wanted a little more explanation of the world that the narrator, finds himself in. On the whole, I find the novel to be a little too similar to one of my favorite novels: 1984. Same sort of authoritarian government, same male narrator who is introduced to the underworld by a woman...and similar way that the novel ends.

Overall also a very quick read--so that now it's back to my text books! (I was hoping it would take a cut longer!) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
There is no final one; revolutions are infinite.

Zamyatin's We (along with [b:The Iron Heel|929783|The Iron Heel|Jack London|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1334104139s/929783.jpg|951056]) is the progenitor of dystopian literature for in We does the reader find the building blocks of [b:1984|5470|1984|George Orwell|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348990566s/5470.jpg|153313], [b:Brave New World|5129|Brave New World|Aldous Huxley|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327865608s/5129.jpg|3204877] and other stories in which totalitarian governments exercise complete control. The One State of Zamyatin's novel exercises total control over every aspect of the narrator's life from his rising in the morning to how long he sleeps at night, the Benefactor is elected in a unanimous public election and those who dare dissent are under the threat of death.

We charts the story of Δ-503, one number among many in the One State, and his gradually exposure to the ideas of a free society. He meets members of a rebellion but ultimately like the narrator in 1984, returns to the fold of the state's control even as the authority of the One State is threatened. The novel is impressive in that its portrayal of futuristic technology and for being the origin of many of the tropes central to good dystopian literature.

We is a central novel in the dystopian canon, and its stark message that the fight for freedom is never truly over - there is no final revolution - is still as topical today as when it was first banned by the Soviets in the 1920s. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
A great dystopian science fiction which condemns a mechanistic totalitarian society. D-503 is an ordinary cipher in the One State, until he meets the strangely attractive and rebellious I-330. His entire perception changes over the course of the book. Zamyatin uses mathematical language and symbology throughout, as well as curious ellipses and unfinished thoughts -- to show D-503's deteriorating(?) mindset as well as his relationships with other characters. The language is sparse ,but compelling. It's a very good effort from translator Natasha Randall. ( )
  questbird | May 9, 2014 |

Siegel, HaroldCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sillitoe, AlanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zilboorg, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wir (1981IMDb)
I am merely copying out here, word for word, what was printed today in the State Gazette: In 120 days from now the building of the INTEGRAL will be finished.
The effect of that woman on me was as unpleasant as a displaced irrational number that has accidentally crept into an equation.
There is no final revolution.  Revolutions are infinite.
I do not want anyone to want for me--I want to want for myself.
I shall attempt nothing more than to note down what I see, what I think - or, to be more exact, what we think (that's right: we, and let this WE be the title of these records). But this, surely, will be a derivative of our life, of the mathematically perfect life of OneState, and if that is so, then won't this be, of its own accord, whatever I may wish, an epic?
A human being is like a novel: until the last page you don't know how it will end. Or it wouldn't be worth reading...."

The first dystopia ever, it started asking uncomfortable questions about individuals, collectives, revolutions, progress — and the collectives’ rights to individuals’ souls in the name of revolutions and progress.

A seminal work of dystopian fiction that foreshadowed the worst excesses of Soviet Russia, Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We" is a powerfully inventive vision that has influenced writers from George Orwell to Ayn Rand. This "Penguin Classics" edition is translated from the Russian with an introduction by Clarence Brown. In a glass-enclosed city of absolute straight lines, ruled over by the all-powerful 'Benefactor', the citizens of the totalitarian society of OneState live out lives devoid of passion and creativity - until D-503, a mathematician who dreams in numbers, makes a discovery: he has an individual soul. Set in the twenty-sixth century AD, "We" is the classic dystopian novel and was the forerunner of works such as George Orwell's "1984" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". It was suppressed for many years in Russia and remains a resounding cry for individual freedom, yet is also a powerful, exciting and vivid work of science fiction. Clarence Brown's brilliant translation is based on the corrected text of the novel, first published in Russia in 1988 after more than sixty years' suppression. Yevgeny Zamyatin (1884-1937) was a naval engineer by profession and writer by vocation, who made himself an enemy of the Tsarist government by being a Bolshevik, and an enemy of the Soviet government by insisting that human beings have absolute creative freedom. He wrote short stories, plays and essays, but his masterpiece is "We", written in 1920-21 and soon thereafter translated into most of the languages of the world. It first appeared in Russia only in 1988. If you enjoyed "We", you might like George Orwell's "1984", also available in "Penguin Classics". "The best single work of science fiction yet written". (Ursula K. LeGuin, author of "The Left Hand of Darkness"). "It is in effect a study of the Machine, the genie that man has thoughtlessly let out of its bottle and cannot put back again". (George Orwell, author of "1984").

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:38 -0400)

"Written in 1921, We is set in the One State, where all live for the collective good and individual freedom does not exist. The novel takes the form of the diary of mathematician D-503, who, to his shock, experiences the most disruptive emotion imaginable: love. At once satirical and sobering - and now available in a powerful new translation - We is both a rediscovered classic and a work of tremendous relevance to our own times."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible