We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

We (original 1924; edition 1993)

by Yevgeny Zamyatin, Clarence Brown (Introduction)

5,231137849 (3.88)1 / 355
Member:lemasney
Title:We
Authors:Yevgeny Zamyatin
Other authors:Clarence Brown (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Twentieth Century Classics (1993), Paperback, 225 pages
Tags:dystopia, russian, politics

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (1924)

1984 by George Orwell (soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, 2810michael)
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (tehran)
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    Red Star: The First Bolshevik Utopia by Alexander Bogdanov (leigonj)
    leigonj: As We (1920) is anti-communist Russian science fiction, Red Star (1908) is pro-communist Russian science fiction. They are equally superb.
    Aelita by Alexei Tolstoy (DuneSherban)
    DuneSherban: While thematically distinct from We, Aelita shares its problematic view of early Soviet society, and can also be read as a discourse on totalitarian society, revolution and Bolshevism (published originally in 1923).
    Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson (hippietrail)
    hippietrail: an even earlier dystopia novel from 1908
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (myshelves, VictoriaPL)
    myshelves: Dystopian novel.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Oct326, catherinedarley)
    Day of the Oprichnik by Vladimir Sorokin (2810michael)
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (myshelves)
    myshelves: Dystopian novel. Wikipedia says: "Ayn Rand's Anthem (1938) has several major similarities to We, although it is stylistically and thematically different."

English (132)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (137)
I bought the audiobook earlier this year and Grover Gardner gave his typically excellent narration. However, I find science fiction sometimes difficult to process in audiobook form and after starting this I decided I did need to have a copy of the text, so I borrowed the Kindle book from the library. The Kindle edition turned out to be a different translation but it was close enough for my purposes. Of the two translations, I had a slight preference for Brown's but they were both good. I did also appreciate the foreword in the audiobook by Brown about the history of this book & how he came to doing this translation, more so after I had finished the book. This is the sort of thing I typically skip when reading but since it wasn't labelled as an introduction or foreword, I got 'tricked' into listening to itand am glad I did (though I do think it should have been labelled rather than being called 'chapter one'!).

As for the book itself, I could see why the U.S.S.R. refused to publish it back in 1921 even though in the end the government, OneState, wins out over the 'counterrevolutionaries' in a somewhat heartbreaking ending. It is tempting to compare the fictional OneState to the old Soviet Union but in fact I feel that its attempt at creating perfect happiness (at the expense of freedom and imagination) could have arisen anywhere. And I found the question of which is preferable - happiness or imagination - extremely difficult to answer personally even when I felt the answer for society as a whole was clearly imagination. Of course, what I would like is to have both!! But that wasn't one of the options... ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 15, 2016 |
'signs pointing to an elusive organization whose goal is liberation from the beneficient yoke of the State', 6 Jan. 2014

This review is from: We (Paperback)
1920 precursor to the better-known (and to my mind far superior) '1984' and 'Brave New world'. This tale is narrated by D503, mathematician and builder of a rocket, to be sent out to subjugate the universe with the dystopian ideals of OneState :
'If they will not understand that we are bringing them a mathematically infallible happiness, we shall be obliged to force them to be happy.'
D503 begins the novel convinced of the wisdom of the lifestyle he enjoys; almost every hour marshalled by the state, sex on appointed days, children brought up away from their parents; the people's every move patrolled by 'guardians' - and over it all the 'Benefactor'.
'I've read and heard a lot of unbelievable stuff about those times when people lived in freedom - that is, in disorganized wildness. But of all things the very hardest for me to believe was how the governmental power of that time, even if it was still embryonic, could have permitted people to live without even a semblance of our Table, without obligatory walks, without precisely established mealtimes, getting up and going to bed whenever it pleased them.'
Then he meets the mysterious and exciting I-330 and discovers feelings he never knew existed...
I enjoyed this book to begin with. Further on I found myself confused (did that happen or was it a dream?) and unconvinced by the way certain events develop. I fully appreciate its importance as one of the first works of this genre, but would say 1984 is vastly better!! ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
A wildly disorganized run amok description of life in a dystopian world. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Set about a thousand years from the present, We shows readers a bleak vision of the future. Society is now controlled by a single entity, One State, and people, now referred to as "ciphers", live in mind-numbing conformity for the sake of efficiency.Everyone has the same hair color, wears the same drab "unif", and chews his or her food exactly fifty times before swallowing, in accordance with One State's mastication rules. Individuality is a thing of the past. Even personal names have been replaced by state-issued letter-and-number combinations.

The narrative is in the form of a secret diary written by a mathematician named D-503, the designer of One State's first spaceship. He falls in love with a mysterious woman called I-330, and through her he discovers the possibilities of life beyond One State's protective glass dome and suffocating Table of Hours. Can D-503 help I-330's rebel group destroy One State, or will he end up crushed by the state's fearsome security apparatus?

I know it's a classic of science fiction and the forerunner of dystopian novels such as 1984 and Brave New World, but I have to admit I had a hard time getting through We as translated by Natasha Randall. The plot is hard to follow, and there are a lot of ellipses, half-finished sentences, and startling geometric and color-based imagery. It took a lot longer to read than I expected given its mere 200-page length. At times D-503 came across as a contemporary man in the midst of a protracted nervous breakdown rather than as a man of the future living under a totalitarian regime. I can recommend this book as a slice of literary history, but not as a particularly compelling read. ( )
  akblanchard | Feb 13, 2016 |
I really wish I'd had the opportunity to read this book back at the age of 12 or 13 or so, when I discovered 1984 and Brave New World. I enjoyed reading this book now - but I would have been passionate about it then.

Either way, this ranks up there with the best of the classic dystopian novels. It's an incisive indictment of totalitarian states, filled with black humor and disturbing tragedy. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Sillitoe, AlanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zilboorg, GregoryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Inspired

Wir (1981IMDb)
I am merely copying out here, word for word, what was printed today in the State Gazette: In 120 days from now the building of the INTEGRAL will be finished.
The effect of that woman on me was as unpleasant as a displaced irrational number that has accidentally crept into an equation.
There is no final revolution.  Revolutions are infinite.
I do not want anyone to want for me--I want to want for myself.
I shall attempt nothing more than to note down what I see, what I think - or, to be more exact, what we think (that's right: we, and let this WE be the title of these records). But this, surely, will be a derivative of our life, of the mathematically perfect life of OneState, and if that is so, then won't this be, of its own accord, whatever I may wish, an epic?
A human being is like a novel: until the last page you don't know how it will end. Or it wouldn't be worth reading...."

The first dystopia ever, it started asking uncomfortable questions about individuals, collectives, revolutions, progress — and the collectives’ rights to individuals’ souls in the name of revolutions and progress.

A seminal work of dystopian fiction that foreshadowed the worst excesses of Soviet Russia, Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We" is a powerfully inventive vision that has influenced writers from George Orwell to Ayn Rand. This "Penguin Classics" edition is translated from the Russian with an introduction by Clarence Brown. In a glass-enclosed city of absolute straight lines, ruled over by the all-powerful 'Benefactor', the citizens of the totalitarian society of OneState live out lives devoid of passion and creativity - until D-503, a mathematician who dreams in numbers, makes a discovery: he has an individual soul. Set in the twenty-sixth century AD, "We" is the classic dystopian novel and was the forerunner of works such as George Orwell's "1984" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". It was suppressed for many years in Russia and remains a resounding cry for individual freedom, yet is also a powerful, exciting and vivid work of science fiction. Clarence Brown's brilliant translation is based on the corrected text of the novel, first published in Russia in 1988 after more than sixty years' suppression. Yevgeny Zamyatin (1884-1937) was a naval engineer by profession and writer by vocation, who made himself an enemy of the Tsarist government by being a Bolshevik, and an enemy of the Soviet government by insisting that human beings have absolute creative freedom. He wrote short stories, plays and essays, but his masterpiece is "We", written in 1920-21 and soon thereafter translated into most of the languages of the world. It first appeared in Russia only in 1988. If you enjoyed "We", you might like George Orwell's "1984", also available in "Penguin Classics". "The best single work of science fiction yet written". (Ursula K. LeGuin, author of "The Left Hand of Darkness"). "It is in effect a study of the Machine, the genie that man has thoughtlessly let out of its bottle and cannot put back again". (George Orwell, author of "1984").

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:28 -0400)

"Written in 1921, We is set in the One State, where all live for the collective good and individual freedom does not exist. The novel takes the form of the diary of mathematician D-503, who, to his shock, experiences the most disruptive emotion imaginable: love. At once satirical and sobering - and now available in a powerful new translation - We is both a rediscovered classic and a work of tremendous relevance to our own times."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible