Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Bite Me: A Love Story (edition 2011)

by Christopher Moore

Member:bluedream
Title:Bite Me: A Love Story
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, magical realism, satire, a love story

Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

Recently added byprivate library, hearthebells, dm13, philn, LemieuxS, darcy36, princemuchao, hoodakaushal
2010 (21) adult (5) ARC (6) audiobook (6) California (6) cats (15) Christopher Moore (9) comedy (22) ebook (17) fantasy (55) fiction (125) First Edition (10) horror (15) humor (130) humorous (6) Kindle (7) love story (15) novel (10) paranormal (19) read (18) read in 2010 (17) romance (17) San Francisco (42) satire (8) series (15) signed (18) supernatural (12) to-read (35) urban fantasy (21) vampires (152)

Vampire cats? San Francisco? Inept cops? A Honda full of rats? What more could you want? Oh, yeah, there were also a few parrots a sword swinging artist, the Emperor of SF, and, like, a teenage wannabe vampire.

This was my "Blind Date With a Book" from my local library and a fine date it was. ( )
  seeword | Feb 23, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
As usual, Christopher Moore is equal parts funny and dramatic. The scene in which Jody breaks Tommy from the statue is pretty edge-of-your-seat, and the subsequent scenes that follow Tommy and Jody while they are apart brought a few sniffles. Just like book 3, I couldn't warm up to Abby, even though the scenes in which she became a vampire (and after) were pretty hilarious. I'm lukewarm about the ending. It was sad, but at the same time I thought that Jody and Tommy following their separate paths was a fitting finish, even if it was hinted that Tommy and Abby ended up together (blech.)

One more thing -- every scene in which Jared was with the two cops was pure gold. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
For Halloween this year, I went as a bad standup-comedian vampire. I wrote some jokes that followed typical standup subject matter but entirely without punch lines. My style was Steven Wright minus the payoff. I dressed as a vampire, wore realistic fangs, too, and performed the routine at two parties with a plant in the audience each time directed to shout, after four jokes, “You suck!!!”

I killed.

Hahahah. Well, I kill me, anyway.

So a while back a friend loaned me the novel, You Suck because he said it was hilarious. When I realized it was part two of a trilogy, the OCD completist in me couldn’t read it without buying part one Bloodsucking Fiends and part three Bite Me. This review will cover all three installments.

All three books have a delightfully whimsical, campy quality. Occasionally, there are moments of pseudo-profound introspection, but these are some of the least satisfying elements in the books. The Vampire Trilogy, as Moore calls it, at its finest puts a few hilarious characters in embarrassing situations. And he’s got some brilliant lines sprinkled throughout to season the meal.

Bloodsucking Fiends is by far the least funny and least satisfying of the three. I would describe it as fun without being all that funny. There were several plot twists, especially toward the end, that were quite unconvincing. I also found one of the two main characters, the 19-year old writer wannabe, to be rather annoying and far too naïve-country-boy-comes-to-big-city while the other main character was a bit too bland. Nonetheless, Moore sustained my interest through a barreling plot and amusing characters. I was definitely a bit disappointed and almost didn’t continue, but the OCD side took control, and I’m glad it did.

You Suck upped the hilarity quotient exceedingly through the introduction of two characters of comedic brilliance, the sick-and-twisted, uber-snarky goth girl Abby Normal (I wonder if Moore stole that name from Young Frankenstein. Or more accurately, did the character steal it because her “real” name is Allison Green while Abigail von Normal is her goth name) and her gay goth bff Jared. Apparently, Abby has a small role in one of Moore’s other novels, but she becomes much more significant in You Suck, and Bite Me is really more of her novel than the two hero vampires, Tommy and Jody. Good call, I say. because she is way damn funnier and smarter than either of them. She really steals the show with her wit and attitude. I could read Abby Normal all day.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see these novels as movies some day. The late-shift supermarket stockers/vampire-hunting stoners featured practically beg for a screenplay to be written for them. And surely some starlet needs to be Abby Normal in order to break from her goody-two-shoes casting. And plus … vampires. Nobody’s done a good vampire comedy since Love at First … okay, since ever. This could work.

Occasionally, the plot seems to get away from Moore and it requires more exposition than it should, but when he focuses on character, the story kills. Overall, worth reading … good comedy is bloody hard to do.
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
I tend to have difficulty warming to characters in Moore's books, but he is so very creative and entertaining that I just keep trying. In general, I never get the sense that Moore himself is particularly empathetic or sympathetic to his characters, and that most of the books' energies are devoted to comedy and zany plots. Moore is one of the best at such comedy: his books are always outrageous, creative, and bizarre, and definitely worth a read. However, despite the hilarious title, I don't think Bite Me is the best example of his work. My major issue with it is that it breaks one of my personal writing guidelines. I tend to love pastiche and parody, but I believe there is one cardinal rule: the authorial conceit should not interfere with the narrative flow. In this particular case, the narrative is written in Valley Girl voice and I found it vastly irritating to read, so much so that it overwhelmed my ability to enjoy the plot.

If you, like, are totally rad with the, like, idea of, like, reading the OBSESSIONS of, like, a teenage valley-girl who, like, writes kind of like this, OMG, and like CAPITALIZES random WORDS, give this book a try.

Otherwise, if you're interested in Moore, then maybe take a look at some of his other books such as A Dirty Job or Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The City of San Francisco is being stalked by a huge, shaved vampyre cat named Chet, and only I, Abby Normal, emergency backup mistress of the Greater Bay Area night, and my manga-haired love monkey, Foo Dog, stand between the ravenous monster and a bloody massacre of the general public. Which isn't as bad as it sounds, because the general public kind of sucks ass.

San Franciscan goth girl Abby Normal and her brainiac boyfriend, Stephen "Foo Dog" Wong, pursue a vampire cat and his minions, but things become even more complicated with the arrival of three ancient vampires intent on getting some payback.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible