dismiss

According To Jane by Marilyn Brant

According To Jane

by Marilyn Brant

Entirely unbidden, Jane Austen's ghost has taken up residence in Ellie Barnett's mind, and seems determined to stay there. Jane's wise and witty advice guides Ellie through the hell of adolescence and beyond, serving as the voice she trusts, usually far more than her own. On the subject of Sam Blaine, Jane's quite insistent--stay away ; he's your Mr. Wickham! Still, everyone has something to learn about love--perhaps even Jane herself.… (more)

A clever premise, beautifully executed. This book flew by, and I was sorry when it had to end; this was a book I did not want to put down. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Jane Austen or who just enjoys a well-written novel.

Edit: I agree with the other reviewers who have noted that this book is much more explicit than you'd expect. I definitely would not categorize this as a young adult novel. ( )
  FooBoo732 | Jun 5, 2020 |
Hate to admit this, but I've never read Jane Austin... and yet I truly enjoyed this book. We follow a young woman as she becaomes an adult, all with Jane's advice and opinion speaking to her in her head. This is not my typical book choice, but the Kindle price was great (free when I got it), and was glad I'd read it. ( )
  ker95tx | May 27, 2020 |
A modern Pride and Prejudice. With a young girl- women who is haunted by jane Austin. She finds her "friend" is full of advice, but sometimes you have to go your own way. It was a cute romance, with a predictable ending, definitely chick lit. I could see this as a movie. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This was good but slow in parts.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Really enjoyed this book and thought it would be a great movie.I would recommend to any friend but particularly my Austenite friends.. ( )
  alwaysbooktime | Mar 31, 2013 |
“It begins one day in sophomore English class, just as Ellie Barnett’s teacher is assigning Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice. From nowhere comes a quiet ‘tsk’ of displeasure. The target? Sam Blaine, the cute bad boy who’s teasing Ellie mercilessly, just as he has since kindergarten. Entirely unbidden, as Jane might say, the author’s ghost has taken up residence in Ellie’s mind and seems determined to stay there.”

Thus commences the back blurb on Marilyn Brant’s According to Jane, a book that lies somewhat uneasily, for this reader at least, between a tween/teen coming-of-age novel, a more adult coming-of-age novel (sometimes disparagingly referred to as “chick-lit”), and a novel that Janeites would find interesting.

Some readers will find According to Jane an entertaining read as Ellie struggles to decide which of her lovers is The One. She also wrestles with her position in the family as a middle child with substantial sibling issues with her older sister. The story flashes back and forth to Ellie’s experiences with various boyfriends and lovers at various times in her life and her continuing encounters with Sam. Could Jane Austen be wrong after all? Could Sam really be Mr. Darcy? According to Jane is likely to appeal most to young women readers of 21+ with a mild interest in Jane Austen; but I think it fails both its younger and its Jane-Adamant readers.

Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then.
---Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (1813)
For Jeff, Joe and Andrew
~Incredibly Good Guys~
&
In memory of
Margaret Weigel (1921-2007) and Kim Hintz (1967-2004)
~Inspirations~
I always thought Homer painted his character Odysseus as a real slow learner with that whole twenty-year-journey thing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marilyn Brant's book According to Jane was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,720,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible