Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Am Rosa Parks by Rosa Parks

I Am Rosa Parks

by Rosa Parks

Other authors: Wil Clay (Illustrator), James Haskins

Rosa Parks was born February 4,1913. She grew up in Pine Level, Alabama. She liked to go fishing with her Grandma and Grandpa. In 1932 she married a man named Raymond Parks. Rosa Parks moved up North to Detroit, Michigan after the incident on the bus.

The subject of this biography is so significant because it addresses how Rosa Parks was apart of the civil rights movement. She helped influence the change of segregation in the bus system. She did not start the civil rights movement, but she was noticed when she was arrested. Rosa Parks is apart of history that influenced ending segregation.

This book is accurate given the fact Rosa Parks is the author. However, a lot of information is left out of the book. The organization of the book is fine, but I believe it would have been better if the book began with how Rosa Parks grew up and then her getting arrested. ( )
  A.Bode | Jan 29, 2019 |
I personally loved this biography. I like how it was straight to the point and gave only the information that was extremely important. I also enjoyed how the book had the first chapter talked about what she's most famous for, which was refusing to give up her seat on the bus. It was interesting to learn that her husband was an advocate for racial equality, and she was inspired by his work. He helped get lawyers for black people who had been arrested. I was unaware that the bus boycott lasted a whole year. It is amazing that to learn that hard work really pays off. Also, the fact that she still makes speeches and fights for full equality is inspiring to many. ( )
  mthomassie | Jan 30, 2018 |
Well written and subdivided to illustrate the story of Rosa Parks perfectly. Her story starts with her arrest, reflects on her upbringing, touches on the effect of her actions and the result. My six year old was able to follow the timeline as well as comprehend the literature. This book sheds light on the civil rights movement, and the injustice that African Americans faced after slavery in America. While also portraying there is power in numbers as expressed by the boycott. This will be a great book to illustrate change within our country and diversity. ( )
  STerrell | Jan 25, 2018 |
This book is very well organized and it is actually broken up into chapters that is a chronological order of since Rosa didn't give up her seat until after the boycott. It made the book very easy to read and enjoyable too. Rosa Parks is known for not giving up her seat on a bus for a white person. To many people, she is considered starting a civil rights movement that ended segregation. Without her not giving up her seat, who knows what today could be like. If the blacks didn't boycott riding the bus to have respect and not having to give up their seats would anything that happened after that happened? The book was very inspiring and I learned a great deal about Rosa Parks and how she changed the world. I learned she played a major role of stopping segregation. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Jan 19, 2017 |
I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is that the writing is organized well. The content of the book is broken up by chapters and follows a chronological sequence of Rosa Park's life. By breaking it up into chapters, the author effectively chunks the information and important events, making it easier for the reader to follow. For example, the chapters go in the following order, "I get Arrested, How I Grew Up, We Stay Off the Buses, Since the Boycott" (p. 1). Because the chapters follow a sequential pattern, the writing is organized and flows well from one chapter to the next. Another reason I liked this book is because of the illustrations. The illustration style fits the written text. The illustrations are a mix of oil and paint. During times of Rosa's struggles, the illustrations are more dull and use brown colors. However, during times of Rosa's triumphs, the illustrations are brighter and feature more colors. With this in mind, the illustrations follow the style of the written text. Because the illustrations feature drastic color differences, the audience can rely on the illustrations to help them follow along with the text and comprehend. The biography shares both triumphs and struggles that Rosa Parks faced. Overall, the purpose of this book is to share Rosa Park's life story and her contributions to a time of segregation. ( )
  kaylafrey | Apr 11, 2016 |

Rosa Parksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clay, WilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haskins, Jamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Floyd, Patricia R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The black woman whose acts of civil disobedience led to the 1956 Supreme Court order to desegregate buses in Montgomery, Alabama, explains what she did and why.

Legacy Library: Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rosa Parks's legacy profile.

See Rosa Parks's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible