I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin) by…

I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin)

by Rosa Parks

Other authors: Wil Clay (Illustrator), Jim Haskins (Author)

2001658,750 (3.95)None

I am Rosa Parks is an informative picture biography about the life of Rosa Parks. I knew that she played a significant role in desegregating buses, but I didn't realize she wrote stories based on the cruelties blacks faced. This book is an excellent choice for first and second graders as an introduction to a historical figure. ( )
  jwesley | Jan 29, 2015 |
This picture book biography tells the story of the brave Rosa Parks. It opens with her refusing to give up her seat and getting arrested. Then, it goes into her childhood and the segregation during that time. The book closes by depicting the efforts of African Americans and the success they experienced in fighting for their civil rights--success that is contributed to Rosa Parks and her will to be treated fairly regardless of the color of her skin. ( )
  slbenne1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
I really liked this book because Rosa Parks is a woman that I believe every child should know. She stood up for her rights because she knew that segregation okay. She believed that blacks and whites should be equal. Another reason why I like it is because this book was writing by her, so we know that it is a true biography. ( )
  Y-NhiVu | Nov 19, 2014 |
I liked this book. I think that the writing in this story was extremely engaging and paced well. I liked that her story was told in different sections, first about her arrest, then her childhood, then the bus boycott, and finally life after the boycott. This autobiography was told in first person from Rosa Parks herself. I thought this was very interesting to hear her story from her own personal point of view. Finally, I liked the illustrations in this story, I believe that they enhanced the story a lot and showed the intensity in Rosa’s eyes as she refused to get out of her bus seat. The main message of this book is to tell the story of Rosa Parks and encourage people to respect each other no matter what color they are. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 27, 2014 |
The main idea of this story is that we are all equal and we deserve the same rights. I think that this is a great children’s book because of the tough issues that it causes the reader to think about and the style of writing. This story shows the reader a world that they may not have known existed, a world where everything is segregated and blacks were treated unfairly. The story says , “ Many years ago in the south black people could not go to the same school as white people . We could not even eat at the white restaurants, and drink from the white water fountains.” Through this text the reader can picture everyday things that were separated, and further understand the term segregation. I also liked that the story was written as if it was being told by Rosa Parks, it adds to the realism of the story. “ I went to court. The judge said I was guilty of breaking the law. I was fined ten dollars plus four dollars in court cost. I never paid it.” ( )
  Bwatso12 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Rosa Parksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clay, WilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haskins, JimAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The black woman whose acts of civil disobedience led to the 1956 Supreme Court order to desegregate buses in Montgomery, Alabama, explains what she did and why.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,166,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible