I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin) by…

I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin)

by Rosa Parks

Other authors: Wil Clay (Illustrator), Jim Haskins (Author)

I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is that the writing is organized well. The content of the book is broken up by chapters and follows a chronological sequence of Rosa Park's life. By breaking it up into chapters, the author effectively chunks the information and important events, making it easier for the reader to follow. For example, the chapters go in the following order, "I get Arrested, How I Grew Up, We Stay Off the Buses, Since the Boycott" (p. 1). Because the chapters follow a sequential pattern, the writing is organized and flows well from one chapter to the next. Another reason I liked this book is because of the illustrations. The illustration style fits the written text. The illustrations are a mix of oil and paint. During times of Rosa's struggles, the illustrations are more dull and use brown colors. However, during times of Rosa's triumphs, the illustrations are brighter and feature more colors. With this in mind, the illustrations follow the style of the written text. Because the illustrations feature drastic color differences, the audience can rely on the illustrations to help them follow along with the text and comprehend. The biography shares both triumphs and struggles that Rosa Parks faced. Overall, the purpose of this book is to share Rosa Park's life story and her contributions to a time of segregation. ( )
  kaylafrey | Apr 11, 2016 |
After reading about Rosa Parks, it brought back memories when I was in about third grade and we were learning about people who made a difference in the world and we talked about Rosa Parks. It's so crazy to me that we once lived in a world of segregation; that because of someone's skin colored determined how they were treated. Author, Jim Haskins, draws in the readers by explaining different situations that was going on such as: colored people could not eat in white restaurants, couldn't go to the same school, and couldn't even drink from the same water fountain. Rosa Parks one day decided she had enough of the way blacks were treated, and when a bus driver told her to give her bus seat to a white man, she refused and was arrested. Rosa believed that the law should treat black people the same as white people. When other black people found out she was arrested, the all decided to boycott riding the buses which eventually led to the buses no longer running because people weren't riding the buses and they weren't making money. Because Rosa Parks decided to take a stand, it led Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.to fight against segregation in many other ways which led to the civil rights movement. This was such an inspirational book and I hope to one day read this to my future students and show them how different things use to be and how people had to fight for their freedom. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 19, 2016 |
I am Rosa Parks is an informative picture biography about the life of Rosa Parks. I knew that she played a significant role in desegregating buses, but I didn't realize she wrote stories based on the cruelties blacks faced. This book is an excellent choice for first and second graders as an introduction to a historical figure. ( )
  jwesley | Jan 29, 2015 |
This picture book biography tells the story of the brave Rosa Parks. It opens with her refusing to give up her seat and getting arrested. Then, it goes into her childhood and the segregation during that time. The book closes by depicting the efforts of African Americans and the success they experienced in fighting for their civil rights--success that is contributed to Rosa Parks and her will to be treated fairly regardless of the color of her skin. ( )
  slbenne1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
I really liked this book because Rosa Parks is a woman that I believe every child should know. She stood up for her rights because she knew that segregation okay. She believed that blacks and whites should be equal. Another reason why I like it is because this book was writing by her, so we know that it is a true biography. ( )
  Y-NhiVu | Nov 19, 2014 |

Rosa Parksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clay, WilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haskins, JimAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Floyd, Patricia R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The black woman whose acts of civil disobedience led to the 1956 Supreme Court order to desegregate buses in Montgomery, Alabama, explains what she did and why.

Legacy Library: Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rosa Parks's legacy profile.

See Rosa Parks's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,729,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible