I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin) by…

I Am Rosa Parks (Easy-to-Read, Puffin)

by Rosa Parks

Other authors: Wil Clay (Illustrator), Jim Haskins (Author)

2221752,362 (4)None

After reading about Rosa Parks, it brought back memories when I was in about third grade and we were learning about people who made a difference in the world and we talked about Rosa Parks. It's so crazy to me that we once lived in a world of segregation; that because of someone's skin colored determined how they were treated. Author, Jim Haskins, draws in the readers by explaining different situations that was going on such as: colored people could not eat in white restaurants, couldn't go to the same school, and couldn't even drink from the same water fountain. Rosa Parks one day decided she had enough of the way blacks were treated, and when a bus driver told her to give her bus seat to a white man, she refused and was arrested. Rosa believed that the law should treat black people the same as white people. When other black people found out she was arrested, the all decided to boycott riding the buses which eventually led to the buses no longer running because people weren't riding the buses and they weren't making money. Because Rosa Parks decided to take a stand, it led Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.to fight against segregation in many other ways which led to the civil rights movement. This was such an inspirational book and I hope to one day read this to my future students and show them how different things use to be and how people had to fight for their freedom. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 19, 2016 |
I am Rosa Parks is an informative picture biography about the life of Rosa Parks. I knew that she played a significant role in desegregating buses, but I didn't realize she wrote stories based on the cruelties blacks faced. This book is an excellent choice for first and second graders as an introduction to a historical figure. ( )
  jwesley | Jan 29, 2015 |
This picture book biography tells the story of the brave Rosa Parks. It opens with her refusing to give up her seat and getting arrested. Then, it goes into her childhood and the segregation during that time. The book closes by depicting the efforts of African Americans and the success they experienced in fighting for their civil rights--success that is contributed to Rosa Parks and her will to be treated fairly regardless of the color of her skin. ( )
  slbenne1 | Nov 29, 2014 |
I really liked this book because Rosa Parks is a woman that I believe every child should know. She stood up for her rights because she knew that segregation okay. She believed that blacks and whites should be equal. Another reason why I like it is because this book was writing by her, so we know that it is a true biography. ( )
  Y-NhiVu | Nov 19, 2014 |
I liked this book. I think that the writing in this story was extremely engaging and paced well. I liked that her story was told in different sections, first about her arrest, then her childhood, then the bus boycott, and finally life after the boycott. This autobiography was told in first person from Rosa Parks herself. I thought this was very interesting to hear her story from her own personal point of view. Finally, I liked the illustrations in this story, I believe that they enhanced the story a lot and showed the intensity in Rosa’s eyes as she refused to get out of her bus seat. The main message of this book is to tell the story of Rosa Parks and encourage people to respect each other no matter what color they are. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 27, 2014 |

Rosa Parksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clay, WilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Haskins, JimAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The black woman whose acts of civil disobedience led to the 1956 Supreme Court order to desegregate buses in Montgomery, Alabama, explains what she did and why.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,182,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible