Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir…

Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

by Kathy Griffin

6203315,695 (3.86)18

I would actually give this book about 4.5 stars. It was pretty darn good. The parts I had issues with were personal to me, so it's not something that other people might not be bothered by. While the book as a whole was, of course, funny (I mean we're talking about a book by Kathy Griffin people!) I was surprised to see some more deep thoughts and sadness sprinkled in. Perhaps that was silly to imagine that someone's life would be without sadness simply because they are a funny person and always seem happy on the outside. I'm glad that Kathy included these things in her book and the way she told them wasn't funny. It would have made her seem ingenuine. All in all, this being the first "memoir" I've read, I was impressed. It's made me rethink my stance on non-fiction reading. Thanks Ms. Griffin! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Not so much laugh-out-loud funny, but very humorous and very revealing. In some ways, this was a lot like reading a good biography of someone who has worked really hard to forge a niche for herself in the entertainment industry.

Reasons to read: Loads of stuff I didn't know about her personal life, her childhood, and of course, random celebrities. Pictures of her plastic surgery, including insane bruising. Photographs with celebs like Janeane Garafalo, Lisa Kudrow, and even Paris Hilton, often with funny stories alongside. Actual emails between her and Steve Wozniak, the *other* Apple founder.

All in all, good times. An enjoyable read, and I'd seek out her next book. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It was a funny autobiography that provided insight into the Hollywood industry and her personal struggles and accomplishments. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I could NOT put this memoir down. I liked Kathy Griffin's standup when I was a kid. I had no idea her life was like that at all. Her brother the pedo and drug addict, and her family stuck up for him. GOD. Her husband stole money her money. A very good memoir but I did skip the Steve Wozniak emails. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
“Book Club” is funny, honest and refreshingly unsentimental.
added by Shortride | editNew York Post, Fern Siegel (Sep 13, 2009)

With a foreword begging Oprah to be on her show and a chapter called ''Brooke Shields, Don't Read This,'' Kathy Griffin's autobiography, Official Book Club Selection, is everything you'd expect. What makes it a terrific read, though, is all the stuff you wouldn't expect.

Have you ever looked at the online photos of Britney's peesh?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345518519, Hardcover)

Book Description
Official Book Club Selection is Kathy Griffin unplugged, uncensored, and unafraid to dish about what really happens on the road, away from the cameras, and at the star party after the show. (It’s also her big chance to score that coveted book club endorsement she’s always wanted. Are you there, Oprah? It’s me, Kathy.)

Kathy Griffin has won Emmys for her reality show Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, been nominated for a Grammy, worked and walked every red carpet known to man, and rung in the New Year with Anderson Cooper. But the legions of fans who pack Kathy’s sold-out comedy shows have heard only part of her remarkable story. Writing with her trademark wit, the feisty comic settles a few old scores, celebrates the friends and mentors who helped her claw her way to the top, and shares insider gossip about celebrity behavior—the good, the bad, and the very ugly. She recounts the crazy ups and downs of her own career and introduces us to some of the supertalented people she encountered before they got famous (or, in some cases, after fame went to their heads). Word to the wise: If you’ve ever crossed Kathy Griffin at some point in your life, check the index for your name.

Along the way, Kathy reveals intimate details about her life before and after she made the big time. She opens up about everything from growing up with a dysfunctional family in suburban Illinois to bombing as a young comedian in L.A., from her well-publicized plastic surgery disasters to her highly publicized divorce, and more. Only in this book will you learn how the dinner table is the best training ground for a career in stand-up, how speaking your mind can bite you on the ass and buy you a house, and which people in Kathy’s life have taught her the most valuable lessons—both inside and outside the entertainment industry.

Refreshingly candid, unflinchingly honest, and full of hilarious “Did she really say that?” moments, Official Book Club Selection will make you laugh until you cry, or just puke up a little bit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

The feisty comic recounts the highs and lows of her career while celebrating the friends and mentors who helped her along the way, and offers details on her childhood in Illinois, her plastic surgery disasters, and her failed marriage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible