Seabird by Holling C. Holling

Authors:Holling C. Holling
Info:Sandpiper (1978), Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:@home, fiction, Mater Amabilis

Seabird by Holling C. Holling

Loved reading through this story about a history through a family's eyes. So much information about whaling and more in surprisingly few pages that perfectly captures the lives of the characters within. Really a treasure. ( )
  mirrani | Dec 27, 2016 |
A seabird carved by Ezra Borwn while a child on a whaling ship, gets passed down generation to generation, son to son.
The story of the family business changing from whaling, to clippers, to steam engines, to oil-burning is fascinating. ( )
  aimless22 | Jul 19, 2013 |
I didn't think I was going to like this as much as Pagoo and Paddle but we got to the end of the book and were all a little choked up. I just love Holling C Holling. The illustrations are always wonderful and the story is always poignant. The kids loved it too. ( )
1 vote momma2 | Jul 14, 2011 |
Wouldn't this be a good book to give alongside Moby Dick? Holling does quite a bit of explaining the whaling industry as he recounts the generations of sailors who own a small carved bird. Not a book to read all at once, but my children enjoyed it well enough. If you ask them, they'd tell you they liked it a lot.
1 vote mebrock | Jan 7, 2011 |

The history of America at sea is presented through the travels of Seabird, a carved ivory gull.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:58 -0400)

Contains short stories about the experiences of several generations of a seafaring family and their good luck charm

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,388,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible