The Wild Things by Dave Eggers

The Wild Things (2009)

by Dave Eggers (Author)

English (37)  Dutch (2)  All languages (39)
The handling of affairs in the aftermath of Katrina is/was truly appalling. Zeitoun's story illustrates well the total lack of co-ordination in implementing a disaster management plan. While the facts of the case were presented clearly and needed to be revealed, I was not as fully engaged in this book as I was in the What is the What. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
A gripping, important, true story about one family's experiences during Hurricane Katrina. I found the writing almost transparent, which was just what was called for in this case as the story itself is the thing. A frightening and inspiring view of what can/did happen in this country and what should happen as we move forward. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Having not seen the movie, I was not sure what to expect of Eggers' novelization of a screenplay based on Maurice Sendak's classic children's book. Having read it, I'm not sure exactly what it is that I read. On one hand, it seemed like an unnecessary stretching out of Sendak's original. On the other hand, it was held together by a psychological integrity and a dreamlike mythical quality. I don't know if I could recommend it. I'm glad I read it. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I liked this book. An amazing story. Makes me think there is no such thing as big vs. small government just good vs. bad. I didn't realize it was non-fiction before I started reading it. At times I second-guessed whether it was fiction, but unfortunately such is/was not the case. Scary stuff that makes you wonder about where we are headed as a country. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is a powerful book that will really open your eyes to the injustices that goes on in this country - OUR Country, that we never hear about or get swept under the rug. I am glad that Zeitoun got to share his story, it's unconscionable that such things are allowed to go on here in the US. It's maddening. ( )
  KatDes | Nov 20, 2015 |
Het grote probleem van dit boek is tweeslachtigheid. Dat manifesteert zich al in de titel: zo'n half–Nederlandse, half–Engelse en half tussen haakjes gestelde titel doet vreemd aan. Ook de inhoud heeft de air van besluiteloosheid: is dit een roman of een kinderboek? Niemand die het weet. De metaforiek – monsters die allerlei minder prettige menselijke eigenschappen in zich herbergen – is die van een volwassen roman, de ongeloofwaardige opbouw van het verhaal doet aan een belegen kinderboek denken.

In feite is Max (en de Wild Things) een moderne versie van Godfried Bomans' klassieker Erik of het klein insectenboek, vol dieren met menselijke trekjes, een intelligent jongetje dat hen iets bij tracht te brengen en een onduidelijke mengvorm tussen kinderboek en roman voor volwassenen. Maar waar Bomans' boek een afgerond verhaal is, vol van humor, daar is Max (en de Wild Things) vooral leuk voor zover het zich afspeelt in de gewone mensenwereld.
De hype rond Eggers mag dan verdiend zijn, niet alles wat hij aanraakt verandert in goud. Zelfs niet in januari.
added by PGCM | edit8weekly site, Frank Heinen (Feb 10, 2010)

There are seven Wild Things all told, and getting to know them all within a 2-hour film is made easy by the fact that they are so broadly drawn. They have the lively, well-traveled banter of a family, making fun of each other’s quirks and accommodating them at the same time. It helps a lot that they’re cute. But they crowd the story in Eggers’ novel. Their family bickering, which is quick and witty in the film, makes for pages of dialogue in the novel, during which I frequently lost track and who was who. Max’s personal journey starts out as a basic hero’s quest from home to unknown, at which point it breaks down into seven different quests as Max works out his personal issues with each of the Wild Things. If this sounds like pop-psych jargon, it’s because that’s what the weakest parts of the novel remind you of.

My resistance began from the very first sentence. Max is chasing his little white dog down the stairs. In Where The Wild Things Are, the dog is a nameless, terrier-shaped blob rushing anxiously out of frame. In The Wild Things, he's called "Stumpy". Worse than just the name – it's obviously wrong, isn't it? – is that something ethereal and elusive has become so distressingly concrete.
added by PGCM | editThe Guardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 24, 2009)

Eggers, DaveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sumpter, RachelDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maurice Sendak, an unspeakably brave and beautiful man
Matching Stumpy pant for pant, Max chased his cloud-white dog through the upstairs hallway, down the wooden stairs, and into the cold open foyer.
'I made a surprise for you. Your first royal meal.'

Max could smell something put under his nose. His body shook involuntarily. It was the most potent and wretched smell he had ever encountered. It was like a thousand long-dead fish soaked in gasoline and eggs.

During a fight at home, young Max flees and runs away into the woods. He finds a boat there, jumps in, and ends up on the open sea, destination unknown. He lands on the island of the Wild Things, and soon he becomes their king. But things get complicated when Max realizes that the Wild Things want as much from him as he wants from them. Based loosely on the storybook by Maurice Sendak and the screenplay co-written with Spike Jonze.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,077,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible