dismiss

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (1997)

by Bill Bryson

Bryson shares his breath-taking adventures and the fascinating history of the 2,100-mile Appalachian Trail, as he travels slowly on foot.
Recently added byAldusManutius, Faustus61, private library, burneyfan, 0xreid, ian5150, paawcik, Jazzybabs, joanra21

English (411)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (420)
Kindle (LFPL)
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
How hard could it be
have a stroll, eat some noodles
bicker over cakes. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Read this because my parents kept asking me to. Not bad! The history of the National Parks Service and America in general was super interesting, the hiking story less so. Coincidentally I'm staying in Crater Lake Lodge this weekend (Oregon's only national park!) and it's the centennial of the National Park Service being formed. ( )
  matthewmcvickar | Jun 21, 2020 |
The author didn't hike very much of the AT. Why is THIS the most popular AT book? While it was an easy read, the author has a better-than-everybody attitude and spends much of his time talking down on each person he interacts.

He takes triumph in people who don't finish the trail- the same trail that he didn't make it too far on. He only did 11 miles in Pennsylvania! That section spends more time on places he drove to in PA that aren't on the AT.

If you want a book to hear about the full AT, look elsewhere. ( )
  mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |
Favorite part: the very first day when Katz had a hissy fit and threw all that stuff from his pack. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Bryson's breezy, self-mocking tone may turn off readers who hanker for another ''Into Thin Air'' or ''Seven Years in Tibet.'' Others, however, may find themselves turning the pages with increasing amusement and anticipation as they discover that they're in the hands of a satirist of the first rank, one who writes (and walks) with Chaucerian brio.

[Bryson] was often exhausted, his ''brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below.'' The reader, by contrast, is rarely anything but exhilarated. And you don't have to take a step.

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goddijn, ServaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Katz,
of course.
Not long after I moved with my family to a small town in New Hampshire I happened upon a path that vanished into a wood on the edge of town.
But always the wandering trail ran on.
“You all right?” I said. “Oh, peachy,” he replied. “Just peachy. I don’t know why they couldn’t have put some crocodiles in here and made a real adventure of it.”
The book to which I refer is Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by a Canadian academic named Stephen Herrero. If this is not the last word on the subject, the I really, really, really do not wish to hear the last word. [Chapter 2]
Black bears rarely attack. But here's the thing. Sometimes they do. All bears are agile, cunning, and immensely strong, and they are always hungry. If they want to kill you and eat you, they can, and pretty much whenever they want. That doesn't happen often, but -- and here is the absolutely salient point -- once would be enough. [Chapter 2]
I wanted very much to be calmed by these assurances but could never quite manage the necessary leap of faith. After noting that just 500 people were attacked and hurt by black bears between 1960 and 1980 -- twenty-five attacks from a resident population of at least half a million bears -- Herrero adds that most of these injuries were not severe. "The typical black bear-inflicted injury," he writes blandly, "is minor and usually involves only a few scratches or light bites." Pardon me, but what exactly is a light bite? Are we talking a playful wrestle and gummy nips? I think not. And is 500 certified attacks really such a modest number, considering how few people go into the North American woods? And how foolish must one be to be reassured by the information that no bear has killed a human being in Vermont or New Hampshire in 200 years? That's not because the bears have signed a treaty, you know. There's nothing to say they won't start a modest rampage tomorrow. [Chapter 2]
ISBNs 0552152153 and 0553455923 (or 9780553455922) refer to abridged versions. Please do not combine with unabridged works.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,706,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible