Northlanders, Volume 02: The Cross + The…

Northlanders, Volume 02: The Cross + The Hammer (2009)

by Brian Wood, Ryan Kelly (Illustrator)

This book, the second in the series, is set in Ireland during the time of Brian Boru. This volume is rather jumbled and vague, with a lot of pretty landscape scenes, lots of gore and battle scenes, but very little storytelling. I'm guessing that our one-man revolutionary force, Magnus, is just hallucinating his daughter Brigid, and has not been in her company in quite some time by the end of the book, but this is really just a guess, because the images and text become more vague and unhelpful, with image sequences that are harder to follow and that leave the story feeling rough and unfinished. The Brigid's War chapter is especially unsatisfying. Is this 'war' Magnus going berserk and killing indiscriminately? Is it an actual war I vaguely recall that there may have been a 'Brigid's War', at least in folk legend, after all, and I know enough about Brian Boru to know some of this book's story is based in historical fact.
But just from this graphic novel, I would be just as ignorant of Irish history after reading this book as I was before. The history gets too muddled and confusing and never coalesces into anything satisfying. But, the landscape illustrations are pretty. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
In this volume of Northlanders we follow two new characters and move to Ireland. Magnus is a local who is killing his way through the the Vikings one higher up at a time. Lord Ragnor is the viking lord that has been sent to catch Magnus. Ragnor is trained in forensics (which felt more like extensive tracking skills) and he is able to get a bead on where Morgan is going. The story goes back and forth between Magnus and Ragnor with a couple of stops at the larger war that the Vikings are fighting as the Irish try to fight back as a group as well.

I was unable to get a real grasp of what was going on between Magnus and his daughter and was very confused about the sudden jump Brigid made in age. I can't figure out if Magnus was hallucinating or if there was a substantial jump in time that I missed. I also just felt like I didn't get enough of the characters inner workings to really feel invested in the story this time. I did like the first one enough that I am going to give the next volume a try anyway. ( )

Wood, BrianAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelly, RyanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140122296X, Paperback)

See why Entertainment Weekly calls DMZ writer Brian Wood's fresh take on Viking lore, NORTHLANDERS, "a well researched, richly realized world that illuminates politics and culture without getting bogged down in history-book stuff."

This volume focuses on Lindisfarne, England; an ancient center of religion and learning that was the infamous site of the first Viking raid on a monastery. Witness the vicious attack from the perspective of a native - a young Saxon boy who dreams of the larger world, of better things, of heroes and myths and foreign gods. Are the Vikings what he's been waiting for?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

"Clontarf, Ireland. A.D. 1014. The Norse occupation rules the Emerald Isle with an iron fist. But one loyal son of the land refuses to kneel before the Viking conquerors"--Cover p.[4]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,434,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible