The Janus Stone: A Ruth Galloway…

The Janus Stone: A Ruth Galloway Investigation: A Case for Investigator… (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Elly Griffiths

Member:devenish
Title:The Janus Stone: A Ruth Galloway Investigation: A Case for Investigator Ruth Galloway, Forensic Archaeologist
Authors:Elly Griffiths
Info:Quercus (2010), Paperback, 329 Pages
Tags:Crime & Mystery Fiction, British Crime Fiction, Review

The Janus Stone by Elly Griffiths (2009)

Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (Menagerie)
    Menagerie: European history, murder mystery, lots of atmosphere, small town politics and relationships

English (50)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  All languages (55)
What a great sequal. This time Dr. Ruth Galloway is confronted by the Roman age. In a house which gets dismantled, bones of a little girl are found under the door sill. Soon it's clear that these bones aren't from the Roman period but the ritual shows strong similarities to Roman rites. In the course of investigations Ruth is a victim of several attacks. These are not her only problems. She hasn't told the child father about her pregnancy and when he learns about it. He does everything to protect Ruth and the unborne child.
The story is very gripping and let me a long time guessing who the evil one is. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 23, 2015 |
The second in Ruth Galloway series. A child’s headless skeleton is unearthed at the latest archeological dig in Norfolk England. Ruth, in her capacity as forensic archeologist is called and determines that the skeleton has a more recent origin. Enter Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson of the local constabulary to help with the investigation. Harry also happens to be the (married) father of Ruth’s unborn baby. Professional and personal lives collide as they work to discover the identity and story of the skeleton.

I enjoy these books because they are the perfect mix of a good mystery and the characters personal lives. Intrigued by Ms. Galloway’s first book, The Crossing Places, I picked up this one and am now waiting for The House at Sea’s End. I feel like a bit of a voyeur as I really want to see where the relationship between Harry and Ruth goes. I am anticipating fire works, and not in a good way.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I am glad to have found this series. The books are very good. In this one Ruth finds the skeleton of a young girl under the foundation of a building that is being destroyed. She knows that the bones are old but not too old, maybe the 1950's. The grave is fairly recent. She makes a new friend in this book, Max Grey. He too is an archaeologist, but not who he says he is. But who killed this young girl? Someone is after Ruth, leaving models of babies, stuffed cows with two heads. But who is it? Is it Max? It all unravels, and the truth comes out. ( )
  bwhitner | Nov 8, 2014 |
Elly Griffiths is quickly becoming one of my favorite mystery authors. I really like her first book, and this one, her second, is even better. Looking forward to future installments of this series. One thing I should mention...read these books in the order they were written, as characters and plot lines extend through the stories. ( )
  echasc | Oct 26, 2014 |
In the second book in the series, Griffiths overcomes my fear about Ruth Galloway's body-hatred turning me away by making her a fully realized person. I enjoy her hopeful, cranky, smart take on the world. I love how she is determined to have the life she wants. The mystery is engaging enough although noticeably implausible unlike the [[Louise Penny]] series where the mystery is implausible, but you don't actually notice. The setting is great although not as fully realized as the setting in the [[Peter Robinson]] Alan Banks series. But, as with most series mysteries, the key is in having great characters where we care about them and their relationships to the other great characters. Griffiths is building something here that I certainly intend to continue reading. If you like Penny and/or Robinson or other non-cozy series try this. Try KC Constantine first, but as soon as your done with that, give this a go. ( )
  nancyewhite | Jun 6, 2014 |
For my nieces and nephews:
Francesca, William, Robert, Charlotte and Eleanor
A light breeze runs through the long grass at the top of the hill.

Forensics expert Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate when builders, demolishing a large old house in Norwich, uncover the skeleton of a child — minus the skull — beneath a doorway. Is it some ritual sacrifice or just plain straightforward murder?

The house was once a children's home. DCI Harry Nelson meets the Catholic priest who used to run it. He tells him that two children did go missing forty years before a boy and a girl. They were never found.

When carbon dating proves that the child's bones predate the children's home, Ruth is drawn more deeply into the case. But as spring turns to summer it becomes clear that someone is trying very hard to put her off the scent by frightening her half to death...

Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate when builders, demolishing a large old house in Norwich to make way for a housing development, uncover the bones of a child beneath a doorway -- minus the skull. Is it some ritual sacrifice or just plain straightforward murder? DCI Harry Nelson would like to find out -- and fast. It turns out the house was once a children's home. Nelson traces the Catholic priest who used to run the home. Father Hennessey tells him that two children did go missing from the home forty years before -- a boy and a girl. They were never found. When carbon dating proves that the child's bones predate the home and relate to a time when the house was privately owned, Ruth is drawn ever more deeply into the case. But as spring turns into summer it becomes clear that someone is trying very hard to put her off the scent by frightening her half to death...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,131,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible