Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by…

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? (2009)

by Michael J. Sandel

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I would divide the audience for this book into two categories, those with experience with the political philosophy of justice and those who are being introduced to it for the first time.For those with experience, this is a pretty delightful tour around the great thinkers of justice. The thinkers are so broad that it is likely that there will be a thinker included in this book that even those with experience have never studied. For those being first exposed to the political philosophy of justice, this is a wonderful introduction to the Western traditions of freedom, liberal societies and some more fringe philosophies. Personally, I thought the summaries of various thinkers were fair (addressing the various well known objections without over-simplifying)and the applications to modern issues the most novel part of this book. I would recommend to those who like this book to read the original works of the various thinkers (Sandel does a good job but many of these systems of thought are complex and nuanced). Personally, I was not too convinced by Sandel's communitarian though he raises certain strong points and has given me some interest in reading more of his and Walzer's work. Overall very enjoyable. ( )
  vhl219 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Well-reasoned, compelling, and argued persuasively, this is a book I felt obliged to read slowly and deliberately from a perceived obligation to be able to internalize its lessons. If I were charged with teaching civics to students, I can't imagine not including it in my required reading. As a parent, I plan to reread it and make use of its examples and arguments when discussing politics with my kids. ( )
  cdogzilla | Jan 16, 2017 |
No suelo leer "no-ficción", pero el profesor Sandel es un genio. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
No suelo leer "no-ficción", pero el profesor Sandel es un genio. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I'd get much out of this book, since I've already listened to the series of Dr. Sandel's lectures on which it's based. But I loved that series, and figured the book would be worth a shot. I'm so glad I did. Not only was the refresher worthwhile, but the final chapter (which is almost entirely new from the course) is a really great finish.

Sandel uses more or less the same disquisitive approach to the question of justice here that he used in the aforementioned course, and it's a good technique. It allows him to address a pretty thorny topic from a position of relative neutrality, and to proceed through some of the most significant historical thinking about it in an accessible way.

I also appreciated the boldness of his final section, because a more typical means of wrapping up would have been to feign complete neutrality, and resist taking any kind of stand. I suppose it doesn't hurt, either, that I agree generally with the stand he does take. ( )
1 vote spoko | Nov 14, 2013 |
For Kiku, with love
In the summer of 2004, Hurricane Charley roared out of the Gulf of Mexico and swept across Florida to the Atlantic Ocean.

“For Michael Sandel, justice is not a spectator sport,” The Nation’s reviewer of Justice remarked. In his acclaimed book—based on his legendary Harvard course—Sandel offers a rare education in thinking through the complicated issues and controversies we face in public life today. It has emerged as a most lucid and engaging guide for those who yearn for a more robust and thoughtful public discourse. “In terms we can all understand,” wrote Jonathan Rauch in The New York Times, Justice “confronts us with the concepts that lurk . . . beneath our conflicts.”

Affirmative action, same-sex marriage, physician-assisted suicide, abortion, national service, the moral limits of markets—Sandel relates the big questions of political philosophy to the most vexing issues of the day, and shows how a surer grasp of philosophy can help us make sense of politics, morality, and our own convictions as well.

Justice is lively, thought-provoking, and wise—an essential new addition to the small shelf of books that speak convincingly to the hard questions of our civic life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Popular Harvard professor Michael Sandel offers a searching, lyrical exploration of the meaning of justice that considers familiar controversies such as affirmative action, same-sex marriage, physician-assisted suicide, abortion, national service, patriotism and dissent, and the moral limits of markets in fresh and illuminating ways.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,365,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible