Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red

by Jackson Pearce

Series: Sisters Red (1), Fairy Tale Retellings (1)

English (112)  German (1)  All (113)
The premise to this book was certainly interesting but the delivery - oh so uninspiring! With Scarlet as the strong ugly one and Rosie as the meek pretty one, even the themes pseudo-feminist construct was woefully poorly done, The plot, with its 'twists', was predictable and weak. The characters were flat caricatures. I usually enjoy YA, but this was not one that I will be recommending. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Jan 8, 2017 |
Really enjoyed this Urban Fantasy- you can feel the frustration and futility building to a head- I'll probably read this over again more than once! ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Scarlett and Rosie March are sisters. At a young age they are attacked by a fenris (werewolf) and have suffered because of it. Scarlett lives with the memory and scars from the attack, while Rosie lives with her overly obsessed sister who relies on her to "do the right thing." this means hunting the wolves and pretending to be bait.

This retelling of the classic little red riding hood is a modern take. Two girls live in the present time, however don't seem well off enough to carry phones which probably would have helped in some of their troubles. There's a boy who also hunts and is older than both the March sisters, who becomes a love interest, but is a little predictable. I found the story a bit dry for the first half, teenage girl sisters arguing about their lives. The second half was more angst-filled and the plot gets a little better when they go into the big city to hunt.
The climax is very late in this particular work and then rushes to an ending. It was decent but fairly predictable. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This isn't a horrible book, but it doesn't break any new ground. Pearce does a decent job of creating a conflict between the sisters without making one or the other of them obviously wrong. But I thought the Fenris were flat villains: violent and dangerous, yes, but not much developed beyond that (did they do anything besides hunt pretty girls to eat?). The plot twists were often predictable, the worldbuilding was thin in spots, and it strained my suspension of disbelief more than once. at points. I'm guessing I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I'd read it when I was younger, before I'd read so many similar books. ( )
  Silvernfire | Jun 19, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this. Awesome twist on Little Red Riding Hood. I am definitely doing to read more from this author. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Pearce is on the mark with this modern-day retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Told by the sisters in alternating chapters, this well-written, high-action adventure grabs readers and never lets go.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Donna Rosenblum

Jackson Pearceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Friedman, MichalNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
StrawberrylunaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Sister
Strangers never walk down this road, the sisters thought in unison as the man trudged toward them.

After a Fenris, or werewolf, killed their grandmother and almost killed them, sisters Scarlett and Rosie March devote themselves to hunting and killing the beasts that prey on teenaged girls, learning how to lure them with red cloaks and occasionally using the help of their old friend, Silas, the woodsman's son.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,215,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible