Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Inside Out

by Maria V. Snyder

Series: Insider (1)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (flemmily)
    flemmily: Very similar heroines in similarly closed-off, oppressive worlds. Similar emphasis on an unknown "outside." Similar environmental emphasis, although Westerfeld focuses more on nature, whereas Snyder deals more with issues of population control.
    Skye Object 3270a by Linda Nagata (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen science fiction reminiscent of classics like Monica Hughes' Devil on My Back or The Keeper of the Isis Light.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (hscherry)
    Darklandia by T. S. Welti (terriko)
    Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan (cleoppa)

English (66)  Dutch (1)  All languages (67)
Exciting yet predictable, Snyder created a very dystopian world, but smoothed away some of the hard edges. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Meh. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
Whilst I loved "The Study" trilogy by Maria v. Snyder, I struggled to read this book. I never really engaged with Trella, the main protagonist, who lacks the humour and feistiness that Yelena had. Trella is a scrub, a nobody whose life is occupied by work. She is resourceful and clever but she is also defensive and lacking passion, spending too much time crawling through the pipes that she keeps clean. There is the slightest touch of romance throughout the book, but Riley is not a strong character and doesn't seem the right match for Trella.

In "The Study" series the author created a wonderful world but in this book I found it difficult to create a clear, mental picture of Inside - the dystopian society where the uppers and scrubs live. I also laboured trying to follow how they measured time in this society. However, I thought it clever when Snyder revealed the location of Outside very late in the book. When compared to books in the same genre such as "City of Ember" and "The Declaration", this book is lacking. I will not be reading "Outside In", the next installment in this series. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
similarities with Wool and other dystopian novels. I did enjoy the character development and the plot twist was well delivered. ( )
  yonitdm | Dec 10, 2015 |
  yonitdm | Dec 10, 2015 |
To my niece, Amy Snyder, for your willingness to read my first manuscript. Your enthusiasm
for my stories sparked the idea that I could write for a younger generation.
In loving memory of my grandmother, Mary Salvatori, and my best friend Hazel.
A vibration rippled through my body.

Keep Your Head Down. Don't Get Noticed. Or Else.

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. One of thousands who work in the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. The Trava family who rules our world from their spacious Upper levels wants us to be docile and obedient, like sheep. To insure we behave, they send the Pop Cops to police us.

So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? Not like it's all that dangerous--the only neck at risk is my own.

Until a lower level prophet claims a Gateway to Outside exists. And guess who he wants to steal into the Upper levels to get the proof? You’re right. Me. I alone know every single duct, pipe, corridor, shortcut, hole and ladder of Inside. It’s suicide plain and simple. But guess who can’t let a challenge like that go unanswered? Right again. Me.

I should have just said no...

"...I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job, and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels. The only neck at risk is my own...until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to-girl to lead a revolution"--Cover, P.[4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,369,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible