Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins, Cris Dukehart (Narrator)

Series: Hex Hall (1)

1,6831964,247 (3.94)81
Title:Hex Hall
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Other authors:Cris Dukehart (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2012), Edition: Unabridged,MP3 - Unabridged CD, Audio CD

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Fallen by Lauren Kate (foggidawn)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (snazz)
    snazz: Paranormalcy is another YA paranormal series with a snarky and completely loveable main character as well as a swoon-worthy romance. Plus the plot is similar in that it deals with an organization controlling paranormals.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're training to be spies. Lots of fun.

English (193)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (196)
This series is really good, especiall if you like The Secret Circle, this series is something you want to read. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
This was a great read. It was fun, light-hearted and hilarious.

I absolutely loved the characters, Jenna especially. She was just someone I would love to be friends with. Sophie was funny and sarcastic, Archer was irresistibly hot and, dare I say sexy. Although I found Cal kind of creepy. Dunno why though.

The story had a lot of depth and kept me guessing throughout the entire book. It was difficult to gauge who the bad guy was going to be. When it was revealed that Archer was working for The Eye, I was completely thrown off. It was something I did not expect. Although I must say, it was a nice twist.

This is the kind of book that it perfect to get you out of a reading slum or after you have read a long series you have been emotionally involved with (a.k.a The Mortal Instruments).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot wait to finish the rest of the trilogy.
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
Thank you to all those that participated in the "What's Next" meme and voted for Hex Hall. I loved this book. Sophie is awesomely snarky.

Hex Hall, or Hecate Hall to be formal, is a reform school for witches, shifters, fairies, and a sole vampire. It's where you go when you screw up.

Sophie doesn't know much about her father, other than he's a warlock and her mother has kept her from him. When she has a major spell catastrophe she is forced to head to Hecate Hall. She learns the influence her father holds when she begins her classes. Her chance at making friends is pretty much over as soon as everyone finds out who she is.

Sophie is a pretty strong lead character. She stands up for herself and her friend, Jenna. She does act without thinking which puts her dangerous situations. Of course you also have your mean girls. They are mad when Sophie rejects their offer to join the coven and proceed to making her life hell. I'm not sure how I feel about Archer. He's an arrogant boy, but I think there may be more to him than what we see.

The plot is easily paced. It's not rushed, and doesn't take forever to get to the point. All events lead to the somewhat shocking end. I did not see the threat coming. I had assumptions as to who the culprit of the attacks was, but boy was I wrong.

I'd suggest this book if you are wanting something full of sarcasm. It's a fairly quick read, and worth every word. I will be reading Demonglass soon so I can see what unfolds next. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Harry Potter, I mean, Sophie Mercer is a new student at Hogwarts, I mean, Hecate Hall, an academy for paranormal juvenile delinquents teens who can't control their magic. So they learn a bunch of lame stuff rather than powerful stuff, because as everyone knows, if your kid's out of control, you should make them feel STIFLED AND BORED. Sophie, a natural witch on her dad's side, is not impressed, but she soon makes friends with the awkward Ron, er, vampire Jenna, who is cute and pink and I wanted to snuggle her. I'm just saying. She also immediately crushes on the school bad boy (groan) Archer, who is of course dating the school bitch queen Draco-dang it, I mean Elodie.
Sophie also has to contend with an odd girl who seems to be stalking her, a teacher (Snape, I mean, "The Vandy") who hates her because of her father, and the enigmatic Dumbledore-no, that's not right: headmistress Casnoff. I'm not even going to make Voldemort jokes: too easy.
The plot revolves around a series of attacks on a coven of witches who want Sophie to join them. That's the MYSTERY, see. I'll leave the rest for you to discover.

My Review:

Okay, first of all, I should just say that this novel KNEW what it was trying to be, dammit, and it did exactly what it set out to do, as far as I could tell. Which is definitely a plus, since the debuts I've been reading lately either seem a little insecure of themselves at first (Birthmarked, review coming soon, I actually did like it) or just totally fail at what they try to do (The Line).
What it was, was not exactly my cup of tea. I felt like this book was a perfect hybrid of Harry Potter and Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series. Or, Harry Potter: the American Juvie Edition. I'm not criticizing, exactly, but I'm not a huge fan of either of those series so I guess that's why I didn't love this.
I DID love Sophie's snark. I'm always up for a good bucketful of snark, and Sophie was a pro, probably because her mom left her dad after she found out he was a warlock, so Sophie's had barely any contact with him, and had to struggle alone with her (super-powerful) magic. I also, as I said, loved Jenna. She was an interesting character, although a little predictable.
The rest...I dunno. It was just all sort of formulaic. I wasn't very surprised by anything (Lesson #1: DON'T TAKE CANDY FROM STRANGERS) or very heartbroken over certain turns of events, although I might have been if I was more surprised or cared more about the characters in question. I DID laugh a lot in this book, and by that I mean more than once per chapter. There's plenty of humor and cleverness in this book. :)
I did NOT like the deus ex machina in the climatic scene. I can't even talk about how much that deused everyone's machina. I really can't, because it would be too spoilery and I want to see if YOU'RE surprised and deus ex machined.
I also, if you couldn't tell, didn't care much about the romance. Bad boys are a dime a dozen and honestly, this one had nothing in particular to recommend him over others. BUT if you like bad boys, I suppose this is a good formula.
Overall, it was an enjoyable, fast-paced read, and I will probably read the next one, but I have plenty to read while waiting for it.
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
My mother says I must not pass

Too near the glass;

She is afraid that I will see

A little witch that looks like me;

With a red mouth to whisper low,

The very thing I should not know.

~Sarah Morgan Bryant Pitt
For Mama and Daddy

For John and Will

For everything...
Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

When Sophie Mercer turned thirteen, she discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-Gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fae, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard. Three powerful enemies who look like supermodels; a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock; a creepy, tag-along ghost; and a new roommate, who happens to be the most-hated person and only vampire on campus. Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her friend Jenna is the number one suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie has a more personal shock to grapple with. Not only is her father the head of the prodigium council, he's the most powerful warlock in the world, and Sophie is his heir. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she is exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,832,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible