Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins, Cris Dukehart (Narrator)

Series: Hex Hall (1)

Member:marinaz805
Title:Hex Hall
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Other authors:Cris Dukehart (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2012), Edition: Unabridged,MP3 - Unabridged CD, Audio CD

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Fallen by Lauren Kate (foggidawn)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (snazz)
    snazz: Paranormalcy is another YA paranormal series with a snarky and completely loveable main character as well as a swoon-worthy romance. Plus the plot is similar in that it deals with an organization controlling paranormals.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're training to be spies. Lots of fun.

English (170)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (173)
"The Craft" meets [b:Evernight|2722413|Evernight (Evernight, #1)|Claudia Gray|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306376600s/2722413.jpg|2748013]. Despite the fast pace and entertaining story that Evernight comparison is worrying me. I don't want future books to revolve around star-crossed lovers I don't give a hoot about.

Sophie is sent to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for faeries, shapeshifters and witches, after Sophie uses her magic to perform a love spell gone awry for a friend, risking exposure which could attract various dangerous hunters of the supernatural. Raised by a human mother, her only supernatural contact is her warlock father whom she's never met bar a few phone calls. She's completely in the dark about who she is, her abilities, her father and his family history. Bombshells are dropped on her at the worst possible moments, leaving her vulnerable to manipulation and bullying. She copes admirably with the help of her headteacher, roommate Jenna (the only student vampire) and Archer, the resident mean girl's boyfriend.

Said mean girl, Elodie, is the leader of her coven of three and they need a fourth, a position Sophie can't turn down fast enough after their dark display of power and general racist, elitist and bitchy behaviour. It screams The Craft with Elodie as Nancy.

From the very beginning I knew Archer would play a big role in this book but as a love interest he wasn't someone I saw Sophie with but I was glad her crush on him wasn't merely based on looks and insta-love and instead deepened, as they became friends after being forced to spend a lot of time together chatting and trading snarky jibes as part of their playful flirting.

However, when Archer mentions that every witch's parents arranges a betrothal to a good match for their child at age 12 and we meet Cal, his Freudian slip about becoming a groundskeeper at the school to protect "you" and then quickly rushes to clarify that "you" meant all students, had me assuming him as her prospective fiance. After that I was looking for Cal-time. The small amount we get wasn't nearly enough for my liking though I did perceive him to be more mature, stable and kind of adorable. His hunky lumberjack look doesn't hurt either. I'm hoping he gets the page time he deserves in future. Archer is good friend material whereas Cal, I see him as someone more important. I hope Sophie sees that one day soon.

We left Archer with tears in his eyes as he escaped without attacking Sophie. I'm assuming he's being manipulated somehow. His family is either being held hostage or he's being forced to play on the wrong side -something like that. And this is why I'm worried about the comparison to [b:Evernight|2722413|Evernight (Evernight, #1)|Claudia Gray|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306376600s/2722413.jpg|2748013]. I don't want Sophie endeavoring, risking her life, to save him. Neither do I want her pining and waiting for them to be together again. Sophie has thus far impressed me with her intelligence and snark, she's a practical girl trying to do the sensible thing, I don't want her to lose that because of some rebellious boy in a tricky situation.

I enjoyed the humour and fast pace. The plot was a good one. It was an easy read. My only other concern was the rushed ending. At least, it felt rushed to me. I needed more, to see it, the aftermath of the climax and the reactions of everyone around Sophie. I didn't like the showstopping last line either -a decision made in the heat of the moment without any detail about what that would entail. It's a hook to get you to read the next book, one that probably would've worked on me if not for my [b:Evernight|2722413|Evernight (Evernight, #1)|Claudia Gray|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306376600s/2722413.jpg|2748013] worries.

Favourite Quotes
Sophie to her mother:
"Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings.

'It's one thing to be different around people who you're really, well, different from. It's a whole other problem to be an outcast in a group of outcasts.'

Archer to Sophie:
"I'll get Elodie and her friends to lay off you, okay? And seriously, try to give her another chance. I swear she has hidden depths."
Without thinking, I shot back, "I said spare me the gory details."
For a second I'm not sure I even realized what I'd just said. And then it sank in and I damned my sarcastic mouth strain to hell. Face on fire, I glanced over at Archer.
He was staring at me in shock.
And then he burst out laughing.

'There was a sensible part of m somewhere that clutched its pearls and hissed that I better not give up my V-card in a cellar, but when Archer's hands slid under my shirt and onto the skin of my back, I started thinking a cellar was as good a place as any.' ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
So this book has been on my TBR pile for about half a year. (I was very out of the loop with reading before last year so I didn't know about it till summer maybe) and I had to read it for a few of the challenges (of which there are many) that I signed up to this year. And in all honesty I'm not that sure what I thought of it. I mean don't get me wrong, it was an easy read and I enjoyed parts of it but it was a bit all over the place.

The story is based around Sophie, a young witch who after a series of spells gone wrong, was sent to attend Hecate Hall aka Hex Hall with other Prodigium's (witches, fairies, shape shifters, vampires). After just one day Sophie finds herself up against the schools popular girl Elodie and friends, when she refused to join their coven of dark witches. Sophie also finds herself falling for a Warlock named Archer who also happens to be Elodie's boyfriend.

Sophie's only real friend at the school is her roommate Jenna, the only vampire student in the school, and someone who is being suspected of murdering a classmate which just happened to be her former roommate. Previously cleared under lack of evidence, the finger is being pointed at her again when 2 more girls nearly share the same fate, resulting in Jenna and the only other vampire in school (a teacher) being sent away until things are cleared up leaving Sophie all alone.

Sophie, who didn't know anything about her fathers side of the family (or anything about her father for that matter), learns more than she cares to know and after meeting the ghost of her great grandmother, Alice, she starts to hope that things will be better, and when given the opportunity, decides to take magic lessens for Alice. But while taking the lessons, Sophie finds out what she really is and the book ends with trying to come to terms with that.

What did I think? there is a lot more to the book then what I just summarized (probably very badly at that) but I'm trying not to give too much away.

When I read a book in a series, I tend to wait till I have all of the books before starting it as I become obsessive with it, but even if I wasn't sticking to a schedule, I can honestly say I don't think I would be picking the 2nd one up just yet. Like I've all ready said, it was good. But I found it to be predictable and also just really reminded me of Harry Potter, but not as good haha. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
And when I thought I had totally given up on the Vampire-Witch-Werewolf Fantasy genre, I find Hex Hall laying around a book store for a cheap price and, intrigued by the cover, I decide to give it a go.
I was plesantly surprised to find out there are still some pretty good fantasy books out there. Hecate Hall (Hex Hall for short) is the name of a school where supernatural people are sent. Their powers start showing up at age 12, and while some of them ingress as soon as they hit that age, others stay out in the outside world, until they do something that disrupts the ''normal'' way of living. If so, the Prodigium Council will come for you, and welcome you to your new home, Hex Hall, where you're only allowed to live after hiting 18. There, wolves, witches, wizards, werewolfs, fairies and so on live in what should be ~harmony~. After all supernatural creatures is a force called The Eye. And so we have our main character Sophie, which appears to be a pretty powerless witch when she gets there. But appearances can fool you. And your family can trick you.
Hex Hall is fun quick read, involving some mistery and suspense, which some might be able to predict but even so, it is exciting. If you let yourself be dissolved into the story, you might find it very entertaing. It does have its flaws, especially the writing style appears quite simplistic at times but managing to ignore all that, you're left with a story of a girl whose identity has been crushed to pieces, and the story of her attempt to getting it back. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
A good beginning to a series. I think it could get better with the next book. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Martina has opened my eyes to the world of YA. On the Literary Rambles blog, hosted by Casey McCormick, Hex Hall was recently recommended by Casey and several other followers. I was intrigued enough to investigate this book on Amazon, and make a subsequent trip to the bookstore to pick it up.
Hex Hall has far from disappointed. The main character Sophie Mercer is a half-breed witch thrust into a boarding school for magical types. She's tortured by the popular, beautiful witches, one of who happens to date the most gorgeous warlock (male witch) in school. Her roommate is the lone vampire admitted into Hectate (Hex) Hall, and just happens to be hated by the rest of the students. As for Sophie, the secrets about her family's past just keep revealing themselves. And did I mention there's a killer on the loose?
Author Rachel Hawkins has done a fantastic job of creating tension that builds and humor that keeps the reader laughing. The teenage angst Sophie experiences is relevant amidst an unusual setting. Even better, a second book is in the works!
This book is a twist on several books that I love. It's a touch of Harry Potter, though the protagonist is a female witch. There are just a few elements of Twilight, too. But it also manages to have a truly unique voice and plot that will hook you from the onset. ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
My mother says I must not pass

Too near the glass;

She is afraid that I will see

A little witch that looks like me;

With a red mouth to whisper low,

The very thing I should not know.

~Sarah Morgan Bryant Pitt
For Mama and Daddy

For John and Will

For everything...
Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

When Sophie Mercer turned thirteen, she discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-Gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fae, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard. Three powerful enemies who look like supermodels; a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock; a creepy, tag-along ghost; and a new roommate, who happens to be the most-hated person and only vampire on campus. Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her friend Jenna is the number one suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie has a more personal shock to grapple with. Not only is her father the head of the prodigium council, he's the most powerful warlock in the world, and Sophie is his heir. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she is exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,510,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible