Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins, Cris Dukehart (Narrator)

Series: Hex Hall (1)

1,6971974,203 (3.94)81
Member:marinaz805
Title:Hex Hall
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Other authors:Cris Dukehart (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2012), Edition: Unabridged,MP3 - Unabridged CD, Audio CD

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Fallen by Lauren Kate (foggidawn)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (snazz)
    snazz: Paranormalcy is another YA paranormal series with a snarky and completely loveable main character as well as a swoon-worthy romance. Plus the plot is similar in that it deals with an organization controlling paranormals.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're training to be spies. Lots of fun.

English (194)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  English (197)
I liked this book. I really enjoy the way Rachel Hawkins writes and this book was no exception. The twist at the end, well I didn't see that coming. Sophie the great and terrible is right. Fingers crossed for Archer to reappear in the next book (still think he's a good guy) and a love triangle with him and Cal. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
This series is really good, especiall if you like The Secret Circle, this series is something you want to read. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
This was a great read. It was fun, light-hearted and hilarious.

I absolutely loved the characters, Jenna especially. She was just someone I would love to be friends with. Sophie was funny and sarcastic, Archer was irresistibly hot and, dare I say sexy. Although I found Cal kind of creepy. Dunno why though.

The story had a lot of depth and kept me guessing throughout the entire book. It was difficult to gauge who the bad guy was going to be. When it was revealed that Archer was working for The Eye, I was completely thrown off. It was something I did not expect. Although I must say, it was a nice twist.

This is the kind of book that it perfect to get you out of a reading slum or after you have read a long series you have been emotionally involved with (a.k.a The Mortal Instruments).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and cannot wait to finish the rest of the trilogy.
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
Thank you to all those that participated in the "What's Next" meme and voted for Hex Hall. I loved this book. Sophie is awesomely snarky.

Hex Hall, or Hecate Hall to be formal, is a reform school for witches, shifters, fairies, and a sole vampire. It's where you go when you screw up.

Sophie doesn't know much about her father, other than he's a warlock and her mother has kept her from him. When she has a major spell catastrophe she is forced to head to Hecate Hall. She learns the influence her father holds when she begins her classes. Her chance at making friends is pretty much over as soon as everyone finds out who she is.

Sophie is a pretty strong lead character. She stands up for herself and her friend, Jenna. She does act without thinking which puts her dangerous situations. Of course you also have your mean girls. They are mad when Sophie rejects their offer to join the coven and proceed to making her life hell. I'm not sure how I feel about Archer. He's an arrogant boy, but I think there may be more to him than what we see.

The plot is easily paced. It's not rushed, and doesn't take forever to get to the point. All events lead to the somewhat shocking end. I did not see the threat coming. I had assumptions as to who the culprit of the attacks was, but boy was I wrong.

I'd suggest this book if you are wanting something full of sarcasm. It's a fairly quick read, and worth every word. I will be reading Demonglass soon so I can see what unfolds next. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
My mother says I must not pass

Too near the glass;

She is afraid that I will see

A little witch that looks like me;

With a red mouth to whisper low,

The very thing I should not know.

~Sarah Morgan Bryant Pitt
For Mama and Daddy

For John and Will

For everything...
Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

When Sophie Mercer turned thirteen, she discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-Gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fae, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard. Three powerful enemies who look like supermodels; a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock; a creepy, tag-along ghost; and a new roommate, who happens to be the most-hated person and only vampire on campus. Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her friend Jenna is the number one suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie has a more personal shock to grapple with. Not only is her father the head of the prodigium council, he's the most powerful warlock in the world, and Sophie is his heir. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she is exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,703,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible