Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins, Cris Dukehart (Narrator)

Series: Hex Hall (1)

Member:marinaz805
Title:Hex Hall
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Other authors:Cris Dukehart (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2012), Edition: Unabridged,MP3 - Unabridged CD, Audio CD

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Fallen by Lauren Kate (foggidawn)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (snazz)
    snazz: Paranormalcy is another YA paranormal series with a snarky and completely loveable main character as well as a swoon-worthy romance. Plus the plot is similar in that it deals with an organization controlling paranormals.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're training to be spies. Lots of fun.

English (170)  Italian (2)  All languages (172)
So this book has been on my TBR pile for about half a year. (I was very out of the loop with reading before last year so I didn't know about it till summer maybe) and I had to read it for a few of the challenges (of which there are many) that I signed up to this year. And in all honesty I'm not that sure what I thought of it. I mean don't get me wrong, it was an easy read and I enjoyed parts of it but it was a bit all over the place.

The story is based around Sophie, a young witch who after a series of spells gone wrong, was sent to attend Hecate Hall aka Hex Hall with other Prodigium's (witches, fairies, shape shifters, vampires). After just one day Sophie finds herself up against the schools popular girl Elodie and friends, when she refused to join their coven of dark witches. Sophie also finds herself falling for a Warlock named Archer who also happens to be Elodie's boyfriend.

Sophie's only real friend at the school is her roommate Jenna, the only vampire student in the school, and someone who is being suspected of murdering a classmate which just happened to be her former roommate. Previously cleared under lack of evidence, the finger is being pointed at her again when 2 more girls nearly share the same fate, resulting in Jenna and the only other vampire in school (a teacher) being sent away until things are cleared up leaving Sophie all alone.

Sophie, who didn't know anything about her fathers side of the family (or anything about her father for that matter), learns more than she cares to know and after meeting the ghost of her great grandmother, Alice, she starts to hope that things will be better, and when given the opportunity, decides to take magic lessens for Alice. But while taking the lessons, Sophie finds out what she really is and the book ends with trying to come to terms with that.

What did I think? there is a lot more to the book then what I just summarized (probably very badly at that) but I'm trying not to give too much away.

When I read a book in a series, I tend to wait till I have all of the books before starting it as I become obsessive with it, but even if I wasn't sticking to a schedule, I can honestly say I don't think I would be picking the 2nd one up just yet. Like I've all ready said, it was good. But I found it to be predictable and also just really reminded me of Harry Potter, but not as good haha. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
And when I thought I had totally given up on the Vampire-Witch-Werewolf Fantasy genre, I find Hex Hall laying around a book store for a cheap price and, intrigued by the cover, I decide to give it a go.
I was plesantly surprised to find out there are still some pretty good fantasy books out there. Hecate Hall (Hex Hall for short) is the name of a school where supernatural people are sent. Their powers start showing up at age 12, and while some of them ingress as soon as they hit that age, others stay out in the outside world, until they do something that disrupts the ''normal'' way of living. If so, the Prodigium Council will come for you, and welcome you to your new home, Hex Hall, where you're only allowed to live after hiting 18. There, wolves, witches, wizards, werewolfs, fairies and so on live in what should be ~harmony~. After all supernatural creatures is a force called The Eye. And so we have our main character Sophie, which appears to be a pretty powerless witch when she gets there. But appearances can fool you. And your family can trick you.
Hex Hall is fun quick read, involving some mistery and suspense, which some might be able to predict but even so, it is exciting. If you let yourself be dissolved into the story, you might find it very entertaing. It does have its flaws, especially the writing style appears quite simplistic at times but managing to ignore all that, you're left with a story of a girl whose identity has been crushed to pieces, and the story of her attempt to getting it back. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
A good beginning to a series. I think it could get better with the next book. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Martina has opened my eyes to the world of YA. On the Literary Rambles blog, hosted by Casey McCormick, Hex Hall was recently recommended by Casey and several other followers. I was intrigued enough to investigate this book on Amazon, and make a subsequent trip to the bookstore to pick it up.
Hex Hall has far from disappointed. The main character Sophie Mercer is a half-breed witch thrust into a boarding school for magical types. She's tortured by the popular, beautiful witches, one of who happens to date the most gorgeous warlock (male witch) in school. Her roommate is the lone vampire admitted into Hectate (Hex) Hall, and just happens to be hated by the rest of the students. As for Sophie, the secrets about her family's past just keep revealing themselves. And did I mention there's a killer on the loose?
Author Rachel Hawkins has done a fantastic job of creating tension that builds and humor that keeps the reader laughing. The teenage angst Sophie experiences is relevant amidst an unusual setting. Even better, a second book is in the works!
This book is a twist on several books that I love. It's a touch of Harry Potter, though the protagonist is a female witch. There are just a few elements of Twilight, too. But it also manages to have a truly unique voice and plot that will hook you from the onset. ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
My mother says I must not pass

Too near the glass;

She is afraid that I will see

A little witch that looks like me;

With a red mouth to whisper low,

The very thing I should not know.

~Sarah Morgan Bryant Pitt
For Mama and Daddy

For John and Will

For everything...
Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

When Sophie Mercer turned thirteen, she discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-Gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fae, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard. Three powerful enemies who look like supermodels; a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock; a creepy, tag-along ghost; and a new roommate, who happens to be the most-hated person and only vampire on campus. Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her friend Jenna is the number one suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie has a more personal shock to grapple with. Not only is her father the head of the prodigium council, he's the most powerful warlock in the world, and Sophie is his heir. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she is exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible