Dæmonens Hævn: Hex Hall (1) by Rachel…

Dæmonens Hævn: Hex Hall (1) (edition 2011)

by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall (1)

Member:mariaretz
Title:Dæmonens Hævn: Hex Hall (1)
Authors:Rachel Hawkins
Info:Ruds-Vedby : Tellerup, 2011-.
Collections:Your library, Other favourites
Rating:*****
Tags:danske bøger, bøger jeg har læst, author: Rachel Hawkins, series: Hex Hall, fiction, magi, romantik, fantasy, bogserier - første eller eneste bog i serie, YA, Printed Books

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Fallen by Lauren Kate (foggidawn)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (snazz)
    snazz: Paranormalcy is another YA paranormal series with a snarky and completely loveable main character as well as a swoon-worthy romance. Plus the plot is similar in that it deals with an organization controlling paranormals.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Another boarding school whose students are secretly different--but in this case, they're training to be spies. Lots of fun.

English (168)  Italian (2)  All languages (170)
A good beginning to a series. I think it could get better with the next book. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Martina has opened my eyes to the world of YA. On the Literary Rambles blog, hosted by Casey McCormick, Hex Hall was recently recommended by Casey and several other followers. I was intrigued enough to investigate this book on Amazon, and make a subsequent trip to the bookstore to pick it up.
Hex Hall has far from disappointed. The main character Sophie Mercer is a half-breed witch thrust into a boarding school for magical types. She's tortured by the popular, beautiful witches, one of who happens to date the most gorgeous warlock (male witch) in school. Her roommate is the lone vampire admitted into Hectate (Hex) Hall, and just happens to be hated by the rest of the students. As for Sophie, the secrets about her family's past just keep revealing themselves. And did I mention there's a killer on the loose?
Author Rachel Hawkins has done a fantastic job of creating tension that builds and humor that keeps the reader laughing. The teenage angst Sophie experiences is relevant amidst an unusual setting. Even better, a second book is in the works!
This book is a twist on several books that I love. It's a touch of Harry Potter, though the protagonist is a female witch. There are just a few elements of Twilight, too. But it also manages to have a truly unique voice and plot that will hook you from the onset. ( )
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
  MABoone | Jul 10, 2014 |
Well, I am glad I picked this book up. I am generally not into witches/wizards/magic and that's part of the reason I didn't want to read it. And books that are over talked about, I really don't get to as quickly because a lot of times, I don't like them, at all. But this was a pleasant surprise. Although it was better than expected, it wasn't scream off the highest mountain great.

I love Sophie & Jenna. Sophie wasn't as whiny as many main characters could be. She had her doubts about her abilities as a 'witch'..But in this case, I can't say I blame her because she wasn't raised around other people with her abilities.

And I had my suspicions about who was doing what in the book. Well, I wasn't totally wrong about some things but wasn't completely right either. I started off loving the grandmother but by the end of the book, well, not so much.

Archer, well, I have a love/strongly dislike for him! I can't totally dislike him because I saw where he actually did have a heart.

I may go on to Demonglass once I get through some more of my books on my Kindle. Because right now, I have too many on there for me to excuse getting any more books! lol...Plus, I wasn't so into the book that I must go on right now!

The main reason I did get this book was because I saw it on my library's ebook/audio book website, so I decided to try it because, well, it was free. I picked it up in August and read a chapter or two but at that time I wasn't in much of a mood to read, plus, I wanted to go on to other books. So no, it didn't actually take my a month to read it per say...because once I did pick it up, it only took me a few days to read it. ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is a good example of a perfect YA book. Sophie is a likeable protagonist. She's has her flaws, but she's not overly angsty. She's trying to figure out who she is, but not in a way that's exhastingly irritating. She's caught in a little mystery at school, and while it's not shockingly complex, it's awfully hard not to enjoy getting to know her and her compatriates.

It's not gripping adult reading, but it's quick and light and easy. Kind of like a great little cupcake after the huge meal of a book I just finished. Totally downloading the next two. 3.5 stars. Good, clean fun. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
My mother says I must not pass

Too near the glass;

She is afraid that I will see

A little witch that looks like me;

With a red mouth to whisper low,

The very thing I should not know.

~Sarah Morgan Bryant Pitt
For Mama and Daddy

For John and Will

For everything...
Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again.

When Sophie Mercer turned thirteen, she discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-Gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward prodigium, a.k.a. witches, fae, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard. Three powerful enemies who look like supermodels; a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock; a creepy, tag-along ghost; and a new roommate, who happens to be the most-hated person and only vampire on campus. Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her friend Jenna is the number one suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie has a more personal shock to grapple with. Not only is her father the head of the prodigium council, he's the most powerful warlock in the world, and Sophie is his heir. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, she is exiled to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,101,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible