Ex-Mas by Kate Brian

Ex-Mas (2009)

by Kate Brian

It’s beginning to look a lot like… not Christmas because it’s August. But there’s Christmas in this book so it seemed like a good opening. My silliness aside time for the review.

Our main character Lila is a seventeen year old girl deep into the high school social ladder scene. Right off the bat she’s not really a likeable character at this point. But expect character growth. Lila is hoping to hold the biggest holiday party while her parents are gone on a short trip.

Her plans however are ruined by her little brother, Cooper, who tattles on her. In retaliation Lila does a play out of the “Things not to do to your younger sibling” book. She plants the idea in Cooper’s head that Santa Claus is in trouble due to global warming.

When Cooper and his best friend who happens to be the little brother of Lila’s ex-boyfriend, run away to head to the North Pole Lila and her ex-boyfriend Beau must go after them.

To be honest while Lila is certainly not entirely in the right I did find Beau to be slightly judgmental. While I’m nothing like the popular, girly type I didn’t find the need for Beau to be so judgmental of Lila’s friends. But this is only opinion. And despite the judging Beau is a good guy.

For the rest of the review and rating please check me out at Musekicker's reading place.
  Musekicker | Aug 13, 2013 |
It’s an unexpected love story. It was beautifully written. I instantly fell in love. I read this book because the title and the subtitle it made me chuckle in side.
  edspicer | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.comI must confess that I have a thing for this 'road-trip' type of stories, and given the fact that this book is all about romance and Christmas it's even better.The characters were nice and likable, even with their flaws, and I enjoyed all the trouble they got into, waiting patiently for Lila and Beau to find their brothers and also to find their way back to each other.Well, there were some moments when I liked so much Lila's little brother that I wanted to kiss him (because sometimes he was so innocent and sweet, and.. little) and there were some other moments when I thought that he (that little devil as I used to call him) needed a really good beating and I could've happily volunteered for it, but all in one it was really sweet to see how the things evolved and I enjoyed every page of this story. And of course I am a girl, so how could I not love a guy as nice as Beau and his sweet&silly song about allergies :)) LOL Ok, ok, ... yeah, I also have a thing for the guys that know how to play guitar - dark hair, blue eyes and playing guitar - you do the math, back in high school it would have been the perfect boyfriend :p Not sure if a full 4 stars, but a sweet, funny and a great (late) Christmas read :)PS: One day a year I do believe in Santa Clause, because I want to :D ( )
  ar1anna | Aug 10, 2011 |
I wanted to fit in one more holiday read before celebrating Christmas in the morning ((please.please.please let Santa bring me bookstore gift cards >. ( )
  SarleneS | Jun 28, 2011 |
Ex-mas by Kate Brian, is a greatly told story of two exes who are forced to go on a road trip together to catch their run away brothers. Some of the content was easily predictable for me. But I love the theme that Kate puts into the novel. The relationships that Lila has with the other characters in the novel are relatable to. With the twists and turns of this great adventure love story, I recommend that everyone should pick this book up at your local bookstore. This book gets 4.5 stars for me. ( )
  Malbebe | Apr 2, 2010 |

Seventeen-year-old Lila Beckwith's parents just left for vacation, and Lila's all set to throw the holiday party of the season. But when her Christmas-obsessed little brother, Cooper, discovers that global warming is melting the North Pole, he and his best friend, Tyler, take off on a runaway mission to save Santa.

Lila has to get Cooper safely home before her parents get back on Christmas Eve. But the only person who can help her is Tyler's older brother, Beau -- a.k.a. Lila's musician, anti-everything ex-boyfriend.

It'll take more than a Christmas miracle for Lila and Beau to overcome their differences and find their fugitive brothers. But could a journey destined for disaster help these polar opposites fall in love...all over again? [from Amazon product description]

With her parents gone on vacation, seventeen-year-old Lila Beckwith is ready to throw a killer Christmas party until her little brother Cooper and his best friend Tyler run away on a mission to save Santa from global warming. The only person who can help Lila find them before her parents get home is Tyler's older brother Beau, who also happens to be her ex-boyfriend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,107,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible