Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

Not My Daughter

by Barbara Delinsky

I just finished “Not My Daughter” by Barbara Delinsky. She used to be a patient of mine, when I worked in Needham, and I had read many of her books. This is one I had not gotten to read yet. As a mother of teenage girls, this hit home, as we all try to teach our children responsibility and good decision making. Four best friends make a “pregnancy pact” similar to Gloucester…the mothers are also good friends. One is socially connected, one is financially stretched, and the third one is the school principal (also a single mom that had her daughter at 17). Only three of the girls are successful in getting pregnant. The book touches on the social and career ramifications of the pregnancies for both the girls and their mothers, in a small tight-knit community.
The daughters obviously were not mature enough to realize all of the lives that would be affected by their decision. It has a nice ending, but something that hopefully none of us will have to ever deal with! -Andrfea, Staff-
  PeskyLibrary | Nov 5, 2013 |
I sure wish we could give half-stars. I'd give this a 4-1/2. I really enjoyed the book.....a quick read, and kept my interest the whole time. The basic story involves a group of girls at the local HS acting on a pact to become pregnant at the same time and raise their babies together. A complication is that these are the 'good girls' of the school that no one would expect this of. The daughter of the principal, the daughter of a CEO, etc. The girls are very naive at the beginning, centering only on their desire to have a child and not grasping how this affects other; their families who now have another child to raise, the kids around them, and the unsuspecting fathers, who apparently aren't to be included in their child's life. And then, there is the controversy created when some blame the principal for 'allowing' this and want her fired! More evidence of naivety.....all babies aren't born healthy?....you can't be sure you will all have daughters? It is an interesting story to watch as these girls grow up quick and watch as their parents and the town itself evolves and learns. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Did you know that three quarters of a million teens between 15 and 19 get pregnant each year? That's what the book "Not My Daughter" by Barbara Delinsky covers.This is a book that covers the very difficult relationship between a mother and her pregnant teenage daughter who makes a pregnancy pact with her two best friends.
Lily and her friends, Mary Kate and Jess, have summer jobs babysitting for rich children at the beach. They decide that they're ready to have babies of their own. So they vow to help eachother out and not tell the fathers. Just one problem they're only 16. Now they are the talk of the town. Rumors start flying and the mothers of the three are left to question their parenting. Thus, this a touching tale that will leave asking "could this happen to me?"
This is a great novel that made me want to read more. I loved it from start to finish.I think that teens and mothers alike would find this book to be one of their favorites. ( )
  AshleyJune | Jan 13, 2013 |
So-so read. Not was I was expecting when I started so I guess I didn't read the promo correctly? I didn't realize it was basically a ripped-from-the-headlines storyline. I almost stopped but for whatever reason finished it. I guess I liked the characters themselves but I still didn't like the pregnancy pact but I understand teens don't think although they think they do.
  drausche | Apr 17, 2012 |
I read this book in a day. Awesome story.

What happens when 4 girls make a pact to each have a baby? What do their parents have to say when they find out and it's too late in the pregnancy to do anything about it? What happens when one of the girl's moms is the principal of the local high school? What makes a good or bad mother? So many questions asked and awareness raised on teen pregnancies. A great story line ripped from headlines. There aren't always clear cut answers on the issues. Sometimes you just "have to deal" as one of the mothers points out. ( )
  KristiB41 | Jan 30, 2012 |
For my readers, for their big hearts and their undying loyalty
Susan Tate never saw it coming.

When Susan Tate's 17-year-old daughter, Lily, announces she is pregnant, Susan is stunned. A single mother, she has struggled to do everything right. She sees the pregnancy as an unimaginable tragedy for both Lily and herself.

Then comes word of two more pregnancies among high school juniors who happen to be Lily's best friends --- and the town turns to talk of a pact. As fingers start pointing, the most ardent criticism is directed at Susan. As principal of the high school, she has always been held up as a role model of hard work and core values. Now her detractors accuse her of being a lax mother, perhaps not worthy of the job of shepherding impressionable students. As Susan struggles with the implications of her daughter's pregnancy, her job, financial independence and long-fought-for dreams are all at risk.

A pregnancy pact between three teenaged girls puts their mothers' love to the ultimate test in this emotionally wrenching story of love and forgiveness.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible