Crow Call by Lois Lowry

Crow Call

by Lois Lowry

Other authors: Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

This is another currently relevant book that would be a great resource in a classroom today. It’s about the readjustment of a child to her father who has been away to long at war. The book leads the child from feeling uneasy about a father she really didn’t know to feeling the bond of love that was still lying underneath. I liked how the father stopped for breakfast with her and asked her what her favorite thing to eat was. Her reply was cheery pie, so he let her have cherry pie for breakfast. I liked the symbolism of cheery pie being an all American thing and that he was more interested in building a relationship than proper nutrition. The theme of the book was about the love between a father and his child and developing that special bond. I liked this book because I've been in this exact situation so the book really speaks to me. ( )
  Madams21 | Feb 12, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for the way it was written and the relationship between the father and daughter. This book used a lot of descriptive language and I felt like I was in the story. When they were walking through the woods the author describes the air, the feeling of the ground, and the silence around her. The reader can paint a picture in their mind of what is going on without looking at the pictures. The book also compared the characters to crows. Just like the crows cannot recognize their babies when they have grown up, the father does not fully know his daughter because he was away at war. Another aspect I liked was the father-daughter relationship. The main character and her father have a difficult and rather forced relationship at first. Eventually the father comes to understand his daughter and they have a great day bonding together. This story had an unexpected ending that develops a good message about family relationships. Instead of the father shooting the crows on the hunt, he understands his daughter’s feelings about killing animals and let’s them go. I think this is a great message for all family members to be more understanding of each other. On the last page, Lois Lowry states that this book was based on true events from her life. ( )
  EmilySadler | Feb 9, 2014 |
This is the story of young girl named Lizzie, her father, and their strained relationship. Dad has been away at WWII for longer than she can remember, and they begin their journey of reconnection through a hunting shirt, cherry pie, tender conversation, and the crow call. They go to the woods where Lizzie uses the call. First no birds come, then, suddenly tons of birds keep coming and coming. He father decides not to shoot any of them so they would stay. Lizzie is very happy. I would use this book in my classroom as it is realistic for some kids with their family members gone away for some time for wars. This book is appropriate for ages 8-12.
  hartung_r | Nov 30, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this 1st person narrative by Lois Lowry. "Crow Call," which is a true story describing events from her childhood shows that children and their parents are always searching for a sense of understanding about one another. Lowry uses detailed descriptions and graphic imagery expertly throughout to really make the reader feel like they're there next to her. Her longing for a relationship with her father, who has been off at war, is one that many can relate to. "I sit shyly in the front seat of the car next to the stranger who is my father," this sentence in the beginning really drew me in as I just wanted to know more. Another aspect of this story that I really liked was the quality of the illustrations. They were all very life like and accurately portrayed a father and daughter spending quality time together, bonding and getting to know one another. ( )
  gsmith3 | Nov 25, 2013 |
Young Liz doesn't know her father very well, who has been away fighting in WWII, until she goes on a crow hunting trip with him. After getting appropriate attire, a large rainbow plaid shirt and two pieces of cherry pie in her belly,the father-daughter duo set out to hunt some crows, but more importantly get to know each other. I love this book for its father-daughter bonding and for its excellent vocabulary: condescending, poised, tentatively, dubiously. Because of its challenging vocabulary and historic background, this book would be suitable for upper elementary grades 4 or 5.
  DanielleJorgenson | Nov 11, 2013 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
The story opens with a young girl heading out on a hunting trip with a father she has not seen for some time. He has been off fighting a war and now he is home. Previously when in town, Lizzie had spied a hunting shirt in a store window. It was a beautiful rainbow plaid, but way to big for such a young girl. No matter, her father made the purchase noting that she would never outgrow the shirt. They stop at a diner and have cherry pie for breakfast--Lizzie’s favorite thing to eat. They discuss the war and his fears--as well as her fears, in particular going hunting. They discuss the cycle of life and how crows eat the crops to survive. In spite of that Lizzie just doesn’t have it in her heart to hunt them. She uses her crow call and they flock to her and surround her. Lizzie says “They think I’m their friend!” Her father refrains from shooting the crows and leaves that for another day or another hunter. Today, he and his daughter walk hand--in-hand and head back home. The illustration by Ibatoulline are evocative of a frosty autumn morning--soft browns with a sky that is just beginning to light up. The trees bare of leaves and mist rising from the hills add a sense of mystery and fear as the two wait to see if the crows will respond to Lizzie’s call. They are a perfect match for the story. Lowry’s story will resonate today as it did back in 1945 when she went through the experience of reacquainting herself with a father who had recently returned from World War II. Today’s children are separated not only from fathers but mothers who head off to places like Afghanistan and Iraq, risking their lives and then having to come home and try to re-establish relationships with family and life in general. As Lois Lowry says on the closing page “And so this story is not really just my story, but everyone’s.” 2009, Scholastic, $16.99. Ages 7 up.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Ilene Cooper (Booklist, Oct. 15, 2009 (Vol. 106, No. 4))
Starred Review* Drawing on a childhood memory, Lowry offers a story where the specific becomes universal. Lizzie’s father is back from the war, and to her, he is almost a stranger. He doesn’t even know how much she loves cherry pie. But he does understand when she picks out an unconventional adult-size hunting shirt, which at least she won’t outgrow. One cold morning, Lizzie dons her shirt and goes out with Daddy to hunt crows. Crows eat crops; of that there’s no doubt. Daddy has his shotgun. He’s given Lizzie a crow call so she can gather the birds together in the trees. In a subtle dialogue, Lizzie says things without saying the big thing on her mind: “I wish the crows didn’t eat the crops. . . . They might have babies to take care of.” Not wanting to disappoint her father, Lizzie calls the birds until they fill the sky, and then, after a breathless moment, her father, not wanting to disappoint Lizzie, takes her home. Each frame of the story is captured like an old-time movie in Ibatoulline’s tender watercolor and acrylic gouache artwork. Particularly effective is the double-page spread in which father and daughter walk among the leafless trees on that chilly autumn day, when their “words seemed etched and breakable on the brittle stillness.” In the end, words aren’t needed after all. Grades K-3
added by kthomp25 | editIlene Cooper, Booklist

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Two-time Newbery medalist Lois Lowry has crafted a beautiful picture book about the power of longing and the importance of reconnection between a girl and her father in post-WWII America.

This is the story of young Liz, her father, and their strained relationship. Dad has been away at WWII for longer than she can remember, and they begin their journey of reconnection through a hunting shirt, cherry pie, tender conversation, and the crow call. This allegorical story shows how, like the birds gathering above, the relationship between the girl and her father is graced with the chance to fly.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:13 -0400)

Nine-year-old Liz accompanies the stranger who is her father, just returned from the war, when he goes hunting for crows in Pennsylvania farmland.

30 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible