Crow Call by Lois Lowry

Crow Call

by Lois Lowry

Other authors: Bagram Ibatoulline (Illustrator)

Crow Call by Lois Lowry was about a father and his daughter taking a trip to the woods. Liz and her daddy take the trip to the woods so that she can use the crow call. Her father doesn’t know many things like liz’s favorite food because he was always gone to fight in the war. At first Liz hesitated to do the bird calls but when she did, she couldn’t stop. I think that trip was a way for Liz and her dad to connect in way that they haven’t since he has always been gone. A father is the first man that a daughter loves and it is good to always have your dad in your life. I love my dad with all my heart. ( )
  lasmith7 | Oct 13, 2016 |
I was drawn to this book because of the author. I have read many of her books, and I loved every one of them. This one was no different. This book tells a story that tends to go untold. I think that it is important to know that life after war is not generally easy for the vets or their families.
  BrittanySchupman | Jul 29, 2016 |
The book tells a story of the father-daughter bond, presents a look into the way that war did have effects on families. It takes place in 1945 and provides a look outside the usual frame in which war stories are presented. Because the story actually happened to the author, it adds authenticity. I would use this text with a variety of different ages to look at the way that war changed things outside of the battle. Especially through the lens of families.
  MsSpartas | Feb 28, 2016 |
This is book is excellent!! would need to be a read aloud for k-2 and a perfect book in your library for older kids.
  jlynn913 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Summary: This story is about a young girl named lizzie who's father has been away at war. When he returns it is awkward between the two. He wants to make her happy so he gives her the crow call. She uses it and is happy when he father doesn't try and shoot any.
personal reaction: I liked this book because I was a military child and always felt weird when my dad when could home, but he always did his best to make me happy.
Classroom extensions: I would have the students write a journal entry about a time their parents did something really nice for them and they were happy.
  meaganamadon | Oct 27, 2015 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
The story opens with a young girl heading out on a hunting trip with a father she has not seen for some time. He has been off fighting a war and now he is home. Previously when in town, Lizzie had spied a hunting shirt in a store window. It was a beautiful rainbow plaid, but way to big for such a young girl. No matter, her father made the purchase noting that she would never outgrow the shirt. They stop at a diner and have cherry pie for breakfast--Lizzie’s favorite thing to eat. They discuss the war and his fears--as well as her fears, in particular going hunting. They discuss the cycle of life and how crows eat the crops to survive. In spite of that Lizzie just doesn’t have it in her heart to hunt them. She uses her crow call and they flock to her and surround her. Lizzie says “They think I’m their friend!” Her father refrains from shooting the crows and leaves that for another day or another hunter. Today, he and his daughter walk hand--in-hand and head back home. The illustration by Ibatoulline are evocative of a frosty autumn morning--soft browns with a sky that is just beginning to light up. The trees bare of leaves and mist rising from the hills add a sense of mystery and fear as the two wait to see if the crows will respond to Lizzie’s call. They are a perfect match for the story. Lowry’s story will resonate today as it did back in 1945 when she went through the experience of reacquainting herself with a father who had recently returned from World War II. Today’s children are separated not only from fathers but mothers who head off to places like Afghanistan and Iraq, risking their lives and then having to come home and try to re-establish relationships with family and life in general. As Lois Lowry says on the closing page “And so this story is not really just my story, but everyone’s.” 2009, Scholastic, $16.99. Ages 7 up.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Ilene Cooper (Booklist, Oct. 15, 2009 (Vol. 106, No. 4))
Starred Review* Drawing on a childhood memory, Lowry offers a story where the specific becomes universal. Lizzie’s father is back from the war, and to her, he is almost a stranger. He doesn’t even know how much she loves cherry pie. But he does understand when she picks out an unconventional adult-size hunting shirt, which at least she won’t outgrow. One cold morning, Lizzie dons her shirt and goes out with Daddy to hunt crows. Crows eat crops; of that there’s no doubt. Daddy has his shotgun. He’s given Lizzie a crow call so she can gather the birds together in the trees. In a subtle dialogue, Lizzie says things without saying the big thing on her mind: “I wish the crows didn’t eat the crops. . . . They might have babies to take care of.” Not wanting to disappoint her father, Lizzie calls the birds until they fill the sky, and then, after a breathless moment, her father, not wanting to disappoint Lizzie, takes her home. Each frame of the story is captured like an old-time movie in Ibatoulline’s tender watercolor and acrylic gouache artwork. Particularly effective is the double-page spread in which father and daughter walk among the leafless trees on that chilly autumn day, when their “words seemed etched and breakable on the brittle stillness.” In the end, words aren’t needed after all. Grades K-3
added by kthomp25 | editIlene Cooper, Booklist

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Two-time Newbery medalist Lois Lowry has crafted a beautiful picture book about the power of longing and the importance of reconnection between a girl and her father in post-WWII America.

This is the story of young Liz, her father, and their strained relationship. Dad has been away at WWII for longer than she can remember, and they begin their journey of reconnection through a hunting shirt, cherry pie, tender conversation, and the crow call. This allegorical story shows how, like the birds gathering above, the relationship between the girl and her father is graced with the chance to fly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

Nine-year-old Liz accompanies the stranger who is her father, just returned from the war, when he goes hunting for crows in Pennsylvania farmland.

14 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,671,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible