Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems by…

Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems

by Kristine O'Connell George

1319137,830 (3.68)None

I've been on plenty of car->tent camping trips. ?I have some fond memories. ?áBut never was I as fully appreciative of the experience as this girl is. ?áMaybe if I'd read this first I'd be better primed. ?áAnd so, since I believe everyone needs time in the wilderness, away from digital devices etc., I recommend this lovely book to everyone. ?áThe pictures are nice, and support the text well. ?áThe poems are as accessible as prose, with the bonus of being a bit more structured than narration, with the vividness of poetry that is written with the TotTs.

I particularly enjoyed the picture of birds in a leafy tree, illumined by sunset after an afternoon rainstorm, illustrating this poem:

Rain Dance

It was dry
under these trees,
until a confetti of birds
in the wet leaves

danced
another
rain shower. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
25 months - Borrowed this one right before going camping... thinking this would be a fun one to read before hand. O was not very into poetry after looking at a couple others so I read through this one looking for a few fun ones that I thought she would like. Most the poems start off interesting but seem to loose it by the end. I ended up not reading any of them to her. :( ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I loved these poems; perfect for kids & even for middle school. Simple enough to break down stereotypes that poetry is too difficult to write or understand, complex enough to delight & provide examples for studying poetic elements & devices, these poems include all aspects of the camping experience. I'm definitely buying a copy for home and school. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a wonderful collection of 30 poems about camping and being outdoors. The poems cover activities and subjects like fireflys, fishing, tents, walking in the forest and in caves. The illustrations are beautifully done and the poems are simple and yet thought provoking. These poems provide wonderful examples to children that they can write about their everyday experiences, and to be a writer, there doesn’t always need to be some crazy adventure involved. Sometimes it is the simple things that speak to us the most. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 3, 2015 |
This collection of poems is about the adventures of camping. The cool part about this book is that some of the poems are in the shapes of the object that the poem is referring to. This is a perfect set of poems to introduce to children around third grade. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 4, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061804597X, Hardcover)

Everything that happens when you go camping can be an adventure, from getting dressed inside your sleeping bag on a chilly morning to meeting a moose to sharing secrets in a tent at night. Kristine O’Connell George turns the memorable moments of a family outing into spirited, evocative verse, and Kate Kiesler’s vivid paintings provide a cast of characters and the perfect setting. The captivating poems and pictures in Toasting Marshmallows will leave readers with wonderful memories of a camping trip—even if they’ve never been on one!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:57 -0400)

Presents thirty poems that depict the experience of camping, from toasting marshmallows to enjoying the solitude of an abandoned cabin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,698,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible