You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas by…

You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas (edition 2010)

by Augusten Burroughs

Member:thatwordnerd
Title:You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas
Authors:Augusten Burroughs
Info:
Tags:read in 2013, alcoholism, memoir, christmas, essays, gay, holidays, homosexuality, humor, dark humor

You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas by Augusten Burroughs (Author)

These are some stories, memories, of Christmas past by Burroughs. The first ones are from his childhood when little Augusten didn’t know the difference between Santa and Jesus or just wanted all the presents he definitely could get. As the young kid becomes a young man the problems become more severe. And although I started some of these stories thinking “Get over it! Not another booze and wimpy I-am-so-miserable-story”, they all turn out being beautiful images of a life, of experiences and of human interaction that leads to new insights.
Well, I loved “The Best and Only Everything” best because the way Burroughs describes his first long-lasting relationship is so touching and moving, not only because of all the romantic moments, but mainly because of all the true human feelings like dislike, hate, disappointment and regret that are in it, too. And after having read “Silent Night” I really got the Christmassy feeling.
A wonderful read, not only on the 25th of December. ( )
  Kaysbooks | Jan 1, 2014 |
Author tried too hard. ( )
  cherilove | Dec 9, 2013 |
It started off hilarious! It ended on a touching and humorous note, which was a relief from the bummer that was the pentultimate story. Overall, I'd highly recommend it, but I think I'd read the first story last. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
I found this hilarious. I read it immediately after reading "Running With Scissors." I love love love Augusten Burroughs. When he confuses Jesus with Santa I about peed my pants. ( )
  Laurakeggg | Jul 30, 2013 |
Interesting to read as a companion to David Sedaris's [b:Holidays on Ice|3300121|Holidays on Ice|David Sedaris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267920282s/3300121.jpg|674383]. Where Sedaris's Christmas tales are absurd but restrained, Burroughs provides the more warped and damaged end of the spectrum (in the last piece, the warpage is literal). Some reviewers don't like Burroughs's sudden transition from weird child to problematic drunk, but I though it captured perfectly the nature of blackouts and traumatic memory suppression. Read Sedaris first, and imagine Amy Sedaris as Jerri Blank creeping around the edges of both. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312341911, Hardcover)

You’ve eaten too much candy at Christmas…but have you ever eaten the face off a six-footstuffed Santa? You’ve seen gingerbread houses…but have you ever made your own gingerbread tenement? You’ve woken up with a hangover…but have you ever woken up next to Kris Kringle himself? Augusten Burroughs has, and in this caustically funny, nostalgic, poignant, and moving collection he recounts Christmases past and present—as only he could. With gimleteyed wit and illuminated prose, Augusten shows how the holidays bring out the worst in us and sometimes, just sometimes, the very, very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

A volume of holiday tales celebrates the author's best and worst Christmas seasons, marked by such memories as a six-foot stuffed Santa, a gingerbread tenement, and waking up with a hangover beside Kris Kringle.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible