The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

3,3171521,638 (4.42)2 / 207
Member:sibyx
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Collections:Your library, 150 books in 2017
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (2010)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (151)  French (1)  All (152)
Oh, what a ride has it been. Terrific worldbuilding, intricate characters, amazing magic mechanics (lashing) make for an exhilarating read.

One place where Sanderson falls a bit short is character development. I find myself constantly comparing Cosmere to Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings. I wouldn't say that the characters are one dimensional or do not develop, they just don't have the same level of intricacy or sophistication as Hobb's characterisations. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Robin Hobb.

A very obvious point of similarity is Elhokar's fool (Hoid) and King Shrewd's fool (Beloved/Amber). I don't know if this is a common trope or not - a court jester with an ability to divine the future, and knowing more than they let on. But these fools turn out to be very important characters. ( )
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |
Like all first books of a long series - with new worlds, secrets, and rules - Way of Kings was a little slow-moving in the beginning as everything was laid out. And, at first, I felt there were quite a few too many characters to keep straight.

But once the story started to progress, it REALLY took off. And when the various stories started to point towards each other, everything just fell into place. I really like that the story didn't follow the usual structure of similar fantasy stories. A few things happened that I either didn't anticipate or that went the opposite of what I was thinking was going to happen. Really kept me guessing up until the end.

I would definitely recommend and I cannot wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
Wow... I hadn't read something this good in years, YEARS! Characters are likeable and interesting, plot is gripping, turnovers are not obvious and actually surprise, and the mystery behind the world is... without words to describe it. Heck, we know almost nothing of the main "evil" force yet and still I shiver from the magnitude of what it's power must be from the hints we get. 1300 pages that read like it was a 350 pages book so much they fly by.

And there's ART inside!! Something I hadn't seen since the good old AD&D books days! And don't make the mistake of not reading the "quotes" at the start of each chapters, they are actually really important to read. Brilliant use of that feature even!

READ-THIS. It's grand fantasy like we haven't had in decades. Starting the second book with eagerness! ( )
  kinwolf | Aug 22, 2017 |
Wow, what a beginning! This book is a time investment, but it's good. Really good.

We are following 4 main characters: Szeth, Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar; seemingly unrelated characters whose lives come together over the course of the story. Sanderson builds a large, complex world full of military strategy, magic, and morality tales, and one not easily forgotten.

My favorite storyline is Kaladin, by far. He's a flawed, everyman hero who usually does the right thing. He is my favorite kind of character, and the reason I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Stick with the confusing web of characters and stories at the beginning, and you will be glad you took the journey. Good stuff. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Beautiful world building, a complex and fascinating magic system, and characters that compel. Loved it, highly recommend to any fans of high fantasy. ( )
  jdawslloyd | Jul 17, 2017 |

Too kindly
And too wonderful
For words
But I try anyway.
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,515,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible