The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

1,839923,776 (4.47)2 / 149
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added bykpevjen, aeromaxtran, kazancapi, NineLarks, private library, Monique9684, Guide2, Balailey
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    Talent Storm by Brian Terenna (Anonymous user)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)

Once more Sanderson creates a fantasy world that is fascinating and different. The characters are complex and interesting. It's not always obvious who's good or not, and the story is not linear at all. Can't wait to read book 2. ( )
  Guide2 | Sep 13, 2014 |
Wow-- went and bought the second one, hope I live long enough to get through this series. ( )
  ehousewright | Aug 3, 2014 |
I'm not a big fan of high fantasy to begin with, with a few exceptions (Sanderson's Mistborn series being one of them). I saw this offered on FirstReads and through my name into the ring, and was actually pretty surprised I won a copy. It's been sitting on my nightstand for a couple of months, a brick of a paperback, and I finally decided to give it a shot. I just can't get into it, and honestly don't really have the motivation to start in on a series where the first book is this big, never mind the ones to come...maybe I'll try it again at some point but for now I'm setting it aside. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
Second time around I listened to the audiobook and it's noit surprising that so much more comes to light. Now I believe I may be ready for the second book. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jun 23, 2014 |
This is the start to a truly epic series. I was unsure of it at first, as it starts out very military-heavy (which is not something I enjoy), but then the story really gets going on and I was just along for the ride. Despite the size, I finished this book in a few days. I could not put it down. Not only is it a good read, it is also thought provoking - if that's something you like. If it's not, you can easily gloss over those parts as Brandon Sanderson does not hit you over the head with any of it. If you like fantasy, read this book! ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 21, 2014 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,719,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible