The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,7981342,088 (4.44)2 / 190
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

The Way of Kings was an enjoyable story set in a fascinating universe. While I came to feel for the main characters, I found myself wondering more and more about the secrets of the WoK universe. If I had any complaint, it would be that I wish there were more answers forthcoming more quickly.
I thought the interludes were interesting, but was unsure it they really added value to the book. I expected them to tie back into the main story in one way or another (much like the portions of the interludes regarding the man in white), but many appeared to be basic vignettes, showing different cultures throughout the land. I might just need to be more patient there.
Every since [b:The Emperor's Soul|13578175|The Emperor's Soul|Brandon Sanderson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1343059311s/13578175.jpg|19161502], I have gone out of my way to keep a Sanderson book on my reading list, and I haven't been disappointed. Keep up the superb work, Mr. Sanderson! ( )
  rencheple | Aug 26, 2016 |
OMG! ¿Cómo puede un libro de 1200 páginas hacerse tan corto? Sanderson me conquistó con Elantris hace muchos años, pero esto ha sido el remate.

Tenía miedo, por los comentarios que había leído, que se hiciera pesado por el tamaño de la novela, por las descripciones. Al fin y al cabo en una serie de 10 libros, el primero suele perderse introduciendo al lector en el mundo y sus protagonistas. Supongo que estoy curtida gustándome como me gusta Tolkien y otros autores criticados por su afición a las descripciones "lentas y sin acción" (hola, ya sabéis que me refiero a vosotros, descastaos :P).

Pues no, lo único que me ha confundido ha sido toda la mitología, el Cosmere, que tenía olvidado y del que apenas sabía algo. Las traducciones me han chocado un poco, pero no porque las considere malas, al contrario. Una vez habituada al vocabulario, que ha sido rápido, el resto de la historia ha fluido cada vez a más velocidad.

Los personajes me han sorprendido, les he cogido cariño, a ratos me daban ganas de darles una colleja. Pero todo tiene sentido, todo está pensado, todo fluye. Me ha costado soltarlo hasta que lo he acabado (hay que aprovechar los ratos muertos sin incidencias).

Leeré algo más breve antes de ponerme con el segundo libro, suerte (o maldición) que Sanderson es tan prolífico y siempre hay algo suyo para leer o releer (malditas reediciones ampliadas).

Fantasía épica de la buena, un MUST en mayúsculas si os gusta el género. ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
Epic fantasy featuring several outstanding characters. When we meet Kaladin he is a branded slave and is put on a crew of men that carry a bridge to allow soldiers to cross chasms on their way to battle. We eventually learn why this young man has an overwhelming need to help and heal those around him and why he is hiding his prodigious talent in the use of a spear. Another character we meet is Shallan, a young and bright woman who has a complicated plan to try and save her family from ruin. In it she becomes the ward of a scholar named Jasnah and become trusted enough to steal a powerful artifact from her that her family can use to improve their lot. Another of my favorite characters is an assassin named Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, who displayed amazing talents using the power of stormlight. It is this power that links our characters together. Kaladin doesn't realize he can use it at first but gradually puts it to use. Shallan wants very badly to be able to harness this power and Szeth is a master at using it.

Somehow Sanderson has made this 1200+ page behemoth seem almost too short. He gives us lengthy battle scenes and inner discourses which go on for pages but nothing is unnecessary and my attention never wavered.

Now that I have read this I can go back and listen to the audiobook of the sequel which was making absolutely no sense. ( )
  mamzel | Jun 29, 2016 |
Truly the most splendid high fantasy since LoTR. I hope the depth of plot and character in this first installment can be maintained throughout the whole series. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Setting : world of Roshar. A world that's ravaged by random storms.

Plot :There is a war between two groups of people in Roshar, the Alethi(people of a region in the world called Alethkar and the mysterious Parshendi.
The kingdom of alethkar is separated by 10 regions each ruled by their own highprince. Those with light eyes are the privileged upper class and those with dark eyes are the lower class in Roshar.

Story told from 4 main povs :

Kaladin : a young dark eyed surgeon who is forced to fight for his life against all odds. He harbors a grudge against all light eyed nobles due to some unfortunate events in his past.

Shallan : a young light eyed noble who seeks to become the ward of one of the most powerful women in the world, Jasnah Kholin under the pretense of furthering her education. She has her own agenda for wanting to become Jasnah's ward.

Dalinar : an experienced battle worn warrior and uncle to the king of Alethkar. He is plagued with visions of the past and as it becomes a conflict with the rest of the Alethi's interest, starts to lose credibility with the king. He believes that these visions our telling him to unite the separate high princes in Alethkar. He is obsessed with an ancient book called the way of Kings that used to serve as an ethical code for how previous alethi kings used to run the kingdom.

Szeth: "the assassin in white" he is an inherently peaceful man but he is forced to take lives by his master who has control over his will.

Review :
Favorite character is Dalinar. I like how he's conflicted and I enjoy reading about his relationship with his two sons. I also enjoy the polical intrigue in his story line.

Favorite storyline is Kaladin's. It's the most fast paced part of the book.

Other favorites :
Wit : the king's fool or court jester. His dialogue is one of the best. He is witty and sarcastic as he pokes fun at all the lords and ladies of the court. Not much is known about his back story but I am eager for that in the coming sequels.

Jasnah :Dalinar's niece and the current king's sister. Her sharp intelligence combined with her dry humor is entertaining to read.

Rock : I like this tough guy with a soft heart. The little backstory that we get is interesting. I hope we get more! Oh and kudos to anyone who can pronounce his full name... ( )
  Clair_de_Lune023 | Apr 16, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

553 wanted4 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,126,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible