The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

3,0211431,885 (4.43)2 / 197
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (2010)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (141)  French (1)  All (142)
An excellent read, As expected of Sanderson! This was a reread for me in preparation to read the next book in the series 'Words of Radiance'. I wanted to refresh myself on the events of the first book before jumping into the second. I may have mentioned previously, but I love novels that follow multiple characters in different parts of the world. Then those moments towards the climax, when the characters stories begin to intersect are so fulfilling! This novel was filled with so many interesting and fascinating hints at lore, magic, and dark enemies waiting to reveal themselves. As I've tended to notice with Sanderson's works, while there were a few romances, both hinted at and slowly growing, they were definitely not a major focus of the story. A lot more attention was paid to the character development of individuals, as well as mounting action, and growing revelations regarding the Radiants and the history that they were involved with. Overall fantastic, and I am eager to delve into the second novel. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
Roshar is a world ravaged by war and nature. A military slave, an army leader ,and a female student, are drawn together to discover the secrets of the ancient Knights Radiant.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 2, 2017 |
OK, so December comes and I'm some 20 books short of the annual goal of 75. No problem, just pick up a few quick reads and...

Well, let's just say 2017 will start slow too as I take on a no-shorter second volume, Words of Radiance.

The Way of Kings is the start of a massive epic tale. Common for such things, there's a lot of characters to establish, lore to put their actions in to context, and development of the unearthly elements that make this fantasy and not just some alternate history. While this could be done efficiently with some straight narration, it would probably read like a history book. Instead, Sanderson jumps the time line, using events when they happened to infer impact on the current time. This can be hard to get into, particularly in an audiobook format. I probably should go back and re-listen to the first 10-12 hours of this 48 hour recording just to pick up things I missed as my mind wandered often until I started getting engaged in the story.

Thus far, despite the size of the book, the number of principle characters is rather small. This is no Game of Thrones -- yet. And while that simplifies things for the reader, the story lines for the characters involved move quiet slow as Sanderson pours a lot of information establishing the hows and whys of their actions.

The climax of the story left the sympathetic characters in rather good shape, but the bad guys didn't exactly lose. There are still things not fully understood, I presume we will be enlightened in books to come. One thing that starts to become clear is that the events that unfold through Way of Kings are but a sideshow to something more profound that few of the characters are just beginning to understand. I look forward to the next and future books of the series.

One quick note on the audio production. Several different readers are used, and one of them pronounces a major character's name differently than the others. I'll put this squarely on the producers, who should be aware of such things and correct the reader. I've seen this happen when series changes readers mid-stream, but it's especially disconcerting when it happens within a single book. ( )
  JeffV | Dec 31, 2016 |
So far, everything Sanderson has put out I have thought was fantastic. Even Warbreaker.

That being said, this book was overhyped and it failed to capture me.

At over 1000 pages, Sanderson needed to make me care about the characters, the world, the plot. I didn't actually start getting into the book until after the 500page mark. If this had been another author, I wouldn't have finished the book.

Thankfully, I did finish it. That being said, it was only from the 800page mark and on that I actually got excited about the story. I know this is supposed to be a 10book series and hence the first book is going to be a huge world setting up", but the reader still needs to be drawn in and captivated.

Given how this was written, I will probably wait until 3 or 4 books are out before reading any more. Nothing in this first novel really made me want to read 10books worth of it.

I am sad. Because like I said at the beginning, I have LOVED what Sanderson has written so far. Maybe a re-read in 5 or 6 years will change my perspective; I sure hope so." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A new epic fantasy series.

There's a lot to take in and some of the story lines take a little while to get going, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

553 wanted5 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,485,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible