The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,1431033,050 (4.44)2 / 159
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

The Way of Kings is a massive epic fantasy adventure that is just beginning. This book stands in at 1006 pages with 75 chapters and 3 interludes. Sanderson immerses you in his world from the get go, so there’s no big info dump in the beginning. There are 3 main characters in this book whose POV we read from of Kaladin, Dalinar, and Shallan, but there are also 15 others who’ll tell a small part of their own tale. These different viewpoints are relevant on a broader scale and they mostly will tie in to each other. For some, this is a set back and makes them want to put the book down. For me, I like it. I get to see a world and story build from these different perspectives. I don’t have to decide if I like the main character or not from just them. I get to see their actions and how they affect others from those others’ eyes. What seems right to one character isn’t to another, and I get the reasoning behind both.

Even if this seems too much to handle, Sanderson included drawings to bring to visual life the plants, animals, and scenery. If that isn’t enough, there’s also a huge wikia that breaks down everything. The world building is fantastic, the prose is smooth and transitions great. I can’t wait to hunker down with the second one and wait out the highstorm until the third gets here.
1 vote jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qq
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qq ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 12, 2015 |
Roshar is a world with a wide variety of people and landscapes. It took me a little while to get my head around things, but once I did, I was able to relax into the story more. As the opening book of what looks to be an epic series, The Way of Kings spends a lot of time on character and world building. We have four main characters to get to know and each of their sections are peopled by supporting characters with important roles. The people who live in Roshar have a complex theology and different groups have their own interpretations of the theological lore. This makes for complicated politics both within groups and between nations. The characters are realistic and flawed and able to explore the morals and attitudes of their belief system without coming across as preachy. They also have magic. Like his Mistborn series though, the magical system is science based. There is physics and chemistry and work involved. Not the typical potions and such, but a combination of skill, effort, ethics and science that is unique and just plain cool. ( )
  nittnut | Jan 12, 2015 |
Nary a dull moment, but not nearly as anxiety-inducing as a George R.R. Martin novel, this book is perfect for someone looking to ease their way into the fantasy/science fiction genre. By way of delicate prose that is easy to understand, Sanderson carefully introduces the reader to Roshar, a world very different from our own.

There are four main characters (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar and Szeth) in The Way of Kings and, as the synopsis on the back of the book hints, among the four is someone who can save Roshar and someone who can destroy it. The book alternates its focus on each character (and a handful of support cast who are equally as captivating) from chapter to chapter in a nature similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series. This writing technique has proven to be effective as it keeps the reader’s attention, the end of each chapter leaving the reader with a gnawing ache for more.

I don’t think my unpracticed book-reviewing skills can do this novel justice. I found myself yearning to eat my lunches in my car so I could read on in silence, not wanting to wait until I get home to find out what happens next. I was whisked away from my own world almost at the very onset, walking amongst the morally-conflicted men and women of Roshar, a place where magic exists but is still yet to be fully understood, even by those who have the power to control it.

For good measure, I’ll offer what little criticism I have: Sanderson’s writing is very simple, it’s not the kind of book you can pull quotes from and live life by. It’s just a story. At times the story-telling can be corny or garish, and occasionally predictable. When Sanderson really wants to get an idea across to the reader, he tends to be repetitive. These are minor inconveniences, barely even worth noting.

This is a tome of a book - more than 1200 pages - and is only the first book in a ten-book series, so “epic” seems like an applicable word to use here in its multiple meanings. You have to know that starting this is going to be a time investment and emotionally tolling to boot. Like any new relationship, you have to ask yourself “am I ready to make this kind of a commitment?” If you are, the payoff is applied ten-fold. ( )
  theokayest | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book is an impressive piece of work. The world building, characters, and plot weaving is quite impressive and kept me engaged the whole time. ( )
  shawse | Dec 2, 2014 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,698,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible