The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,5051242,420 (4.43)2 / 173
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

The Way Of Kings is a masterpiece, in the old ways of story telling. Bits and pieces are woven together throughout places and times. As we come to know the characters we begin to hope that the threads will meet. Only a master storyteller could create a world such as this one; the complex characters, the dropping of hints throughout, fueling the desire to read day and night only to want more when we reach the end. ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Add me to the group of people who read this book and thought it was really good. Actually, is there even a group of people who read the book and didn't like it? They must be a sad, lonely group.

I joined the Stormlight party a bit late. I believe I was in the middle of a Wheel of Time re-read when this book came out, and when I finished it I needed a break from epic fantasy, so I decided to wait until the 2nd book came out to read this one. As expected, I spent the first few hundred pages feeling overwhelmed with yet another complex Sanderson world and mixing up characters. But around page 300 or so, things clicked into place for me and it was basically pure entertainment from there.

Sanderson has shown us once again that there is so much that can be done in the epic fantasy genre. My favorite thing about this book is that it didn't remind me of any other fantasy book I've read (except for Sanderson's own books, including Wheel of Time). It's a truly unique world with very interesting characters. I'm excited to see where Sanderson takes this massive series. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 1, 2016 |
Absolutely fantastic. A very original fantasy established in a medieval world, without princesses and dragons. The magic system is fully unique, which is hard to pull off. It does start a bit slow, but momentum grows as you work through the book. By the end, it's an avalanche finish, which does not disappoint. Highly recommended, fantasy reader or not. This is a great book. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
I really think this is a good book for those who like fantasy. Brandon Sanderson is a great writer and the characters and world were well developed. However, I found the world gloomy and depressing and the book is SO long. In the end, I doubt I will read the next one that is about 50% longer! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

586 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible