The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,3011082,759 (4.43)2 / 164
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

I am not sure why, but this book is has an amazing ability to glue you to the page and keep you reading. It has excellent forward momentum and gives you a sense of satisfactory completeness when you finish. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
This book is amazing. I read it for a read-along and so we read 100 pages every week for ten weeks and then discussed each week. If you're interested in our discussion, here are the posts though be warned that there are lots of spoilers since we were discussing each week!

Anyway, even though this book is huge, the writing is so excellent that I never felt it lagged. There are a lot of characters and plot lines and I loved it. A few times I worried that a plot didn't make sense or there was a hole but in every case it ended up being that I was supposed to notice that because it was part of something important later ;-). If you've loved other Sanderson books, you will love this one. If you haven't read Sanderson yet, you might think of trying out [b:The Emperor's Soul|13578175|The Emperor's Soul|Brandon Sanderson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1343059311s/13578175.jpg|19161502] first to get a feel for style and then jumping into this one ;-).

Fantasy lovers must read these books is really what it comes down to. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
I loved this. It was so good! But it's SO LONG!

I started this book about three years ago and I really liked it. It has a lot of stuff going on, but it's written clearly enough that you can understand what is going on except when you're being purposefully in the dark.

I recently decided to pick it up again and finish it and I didn't have to re-read hardly any of it to remember what was going on. I remembered most of the characters, and those that I didn't remember were reintroduced in a way that felt natural to the story and didn't feel forced.

All that aside, I loved this as a fantasy novel. I have only a slight idea of what is happening in the world of the book, but I know it's very complex and it just keeps getting more and more complicated due to all the politics and it's just such a good story on so many levels.

The character development is great and I found times where I was reading faster to find out what happened next sooner.

This is great and I can't wait for the rest of the series. 1 down, 9 to go! ( )
  dementomstie | Jul 28, 2015 |
I don't understand the many 5 ratings though.

For large sections this book gets boring and repetitive. The writing is not Sanderson at his best. Mistborn definitely had a better start to the series.

As far as the epicness goes, yes it is epic fantasy, its a new world. The last 200 pages are really good. That is where everything comes together.

If didn't carry the name of Brandon Sanderson I probably wouldn't have completed it because Brandon Sanderson wrote Mistborn which was a fantastic fantastic trilogy touching upon many themes with fascinating characters and unbelievable deep mythology.

I will probably keep a watch out for this series and see where it goes.

Just don't be surprised if you don't like it as much as you think you will. ( )
  kaipakartik | May 21, 2015 |
Loved it! I can't wait for the next book in this series.... Mr. Sanderson has vaulted to the top of my must read list, i'm just a huge fan-boy at this point. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

496 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,679,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible