The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) by…

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,9011381,988 (4.43)2 / 193
Member:bangerlm
Title:The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 1280 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (2010)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (archivesman)
    The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Kassilem)
    The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (ajwseven)
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another beginning to a ten volume fantasy work featuring almost overwhelming scale.

English (137)  French (1)  All (138)
A new epic fantasy series.

There's a lot to take in and some of the story lines take a little while to get going, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
EPIC!!!! Brandon Sanderson is a Genius!!!! ( )
  Valli_Prabhala | Oct 26, 2016 |
I had pretty much given up on epic fantasy. It had been done, sometimes well, but I felt the genre had been exhausted. Most of the new stuff I'd seen was derivative and seemed to drag on forever. There are more new books being published now than I will ever be able to read, so I tend to avoid lengthy epics that belabor the point they are trying to make (assuming they have a point to make). But one of my sons recommended this book. I picked it up at the library, and he was right. It is worth reading. The world building is excellent. The magic system is refreshingly different. The large cast of characters are believable enough for a fantasy story and some have a bit of depth. Their musings can even provoke a thought or two, which makes this novel stand out from typical 'good' versus 'evil' sword and sorcery stories.
On the other hand...
-There are a number of subplots narrated in more detail than needed to tie into the main story arc. They are well done, but they bulk up the page count.
-There are entire chapters devoted to flashbacks that provide back-story. They also are well done, but they are lengthy, detailed, and interesting enough in their own right to jar a reader from the main story at times.
-After 1,000 pages, there is still no conclusive ending. It's not a cliffhanger, exactly, but it leaves many loose ends dangling.

I may see how they're resolved, eventually. I picked up the sequel, Words of Radiance, another 1,000 page tome, and began reading it last night.

You can consider that a recommendation, I suppose. If you like epic fantasy, this is among the best. Just keep in mind that you're in for a long journey to the end of the tale. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
The Way of Kings was an enjoyable story set in a fascinating universe. While I came to feel for the main characters, I found myself wondering more and more about the secrets of the WoK universe. If I had any complaint, it would be that I wish there were more answers forthcoming more quickly.
I thought the interludes were interesting, but was unsure it they really added value to the book. I expected them to tie back into the main story in one way or another (much like the portions of the interludes regarding the man in white), but many appeared to be basic vignettes, showing different cultures throughout the land. I might just need to be more patient there.
Every since [b:The Emperor's Soul|13578175|The Emperor's Soul|Brandon Sanderson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1343059311s/13578175.jpg|19161502], I have gone out of my way to keep a Sanderson book on my reading list, and I haven't been disappointed. Keep up the superb work, Mr. Sanderson! ( )
  rencheple | Aug 26, 2016 |
OMG! ¿Cómo puede un libro de 1200 páginas hacerse tan corto? Sanderson me conquistó con Elantris hace muchos años, pero esto ha sido el remate.

Tenía miedo, por los comentarios que había leído, que se hiciera pesado por el tamaño de la novela, por las descripciones. Al fin y al cabo en una serie de 10 libros, el primero suele perderse introduciendo al lector en el mundo y sus protagonistas. Supongo que estoy curtida gustándome como me gusta Tolkien y otros autores criticados por su afición a las descripciones "lentas y sin acción" (hola, ya sabéis que me refiero a vosotros, descastaos :P).

Pues no, lo único que me ha confundido ha sido toda la mitología, el Cosmere, que tenía olvidado y del que apenas sabía algo. Las traducciones me han chocado un poco, pero no porque las considere malas, al contrario. Una vez habituada al vocabulario, que ha sido rápido, el resto de la historia ha fluido cada vez a más velocidad.

Los personajes me han sorprendido, les he cogido cariño, a ratos me daban ganas de darles una colleja. Pero todo tiene sentido, todo está pensado, todo fluye. Me ha costado soltarlo hasta que lo he acabado (hay que aprovechar los ratos muertos sin incidencias).

Leeré algo más breve antes de ponerme con el segundo libro, suerte (o maldición) que Sanderson es tan prolífico y siempre hay algo suyo para leer o releer (malditas reediciones ampliadas).

Fantasía épica de la buena, un MUST en mayúsculas si os gusta el género. ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . my wife, Emily, to whom this book is dedicated. . . .
(Prelude) Kalak rounded a rocky stone ridge and stumbled to a stop before the body of a dying thunderclast.
(Prologue) Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to kill a king.
(Chapter one) "I'm going to die, aren't I?" Cenn asked.
Editions with ISBN 0575097361 are the first part only of this book and should not be combined with the full work.

Widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, Brandon Sanderson now begins a grand cycle of his own, one every bit as ambitious and immersive.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths,

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.
Slave must now fight, again.

A woman must be a thief.

King sees the world's past.
Something is coming
A dark something is coming
Something is coming

A new epic series by the best-selling writer of Robert Jordan's final Wheel of Time novels introduces the world of Roshar through the experiences of a war-weary royal compelled by visions, a highborn youth condemned to military slavery and a woman who would save her impoverished house.… (more)

553 wanted5 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,779,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible