Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

Black Magic Sanction

by Kim Harrison, Kim Harrison

Recently added byKCV, WildPikachu, GregoryRPettit, Sluchi, opus13, LauraK623, private library

A common complaint with series in general is that the books start to go off course, become redundant, or just plain stupid as more books are released. The Hollows is the opposite. I honestly believe that the second half is even better than the first, and the world and characters just get more interesting with each new release.

I officially dislike the witch counsel. We hadn’t seen them before, only heard of them, but egads, what a despicable group. What they planned to do to Rachel sickens me. There’s a lot of disturbing stuff in this series, and out of everything, even the tortures and murder scenes, this is more disturbing to me on a personal level. Against your will, being lobotomized and stripped of mind, choice, and even freaking fertility! Leaving the person an imprisoned husk. Wow, what monsters.

As another creative technique (Rachel never ceases to amaze me with how she can wiggle out of things), Rachel impresses me with her bargaining, in addition to a cool twist with Trent. Nick and his devious ways have returned, and a fun moment with Al/Rachel/Nick is written – cool. I also really liked the Lee scenes. Before his character didn’t sit right with me but now he’s more enjoyable.

Rachel “high” is just hilarious. Whether it was in the vamp club getting blood sugared, Jenks accidentally buying her street grade brimstone in ‘A Pocketful of Charms’, and now being sedated with darts, she’s a hoot. Here, maybe best of all, she leans out the window singing “I’m king of the world,” almost getting everyone killed, flirts with Lee and his ‘scar’, sits at Al’s feet (the concern from him was thrilling), and compliments Ivy’s eyes. I repeat: Rachel wasted is always fun.

I was pleased to see Ceri at first (she’s been missing too long), but her smugness started irritating me. Can anyone tell I really dislike smugness? It’s one of my biggest pet peeves, whether in life or in invented characters. Al times shine, the demon warmed his evil self even further into my soul with his scenes. I’m really digging the mentoring bond developing.

I liked Ivy for the most part but she seriously chickens out when it came to using magic and going with Rachel to help Jenks. I actually liked Trent the last part of the book. This is of course after he pissed me off by getting amused when Rachel is scared of being chemically castrated and lobotomized. >:0

Sadly there’s a character loss which leaves a devastating absence.

There is one sex scene and, while I don’t want a perma-relationship there, I found it hot because it was unique with the discovery with the ley line, and honest during a vulnerable moment. Pacing stays up to speed and a lot happens in this one. It was a delight to shift between reality and the Ever After. Both of the worlds fascinate. As always Kim writes her characters realistically, uses words which make them seep into my mind perfectly, and makes me want the book to never end while I rush through it with anticipation.

If only these books could be endless? But in this life I guess nothing’s perfect.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Wow! Just wow! Spoiler! Matalina dies. Rachel is able to talk Jenks from dying with her, so we'll have his pixy self for a while. Nick summons Rachel for the Coven and she is sent to Alcatraz. While there she is threatened with having her eggs harvested and being lobotomized, and these are the 'good' witches. Rachel is able to talk Al into taking back his name after she's summoned again by Jonathon. Then its trying to figure out a way to keep Trent from forcing her to sign a contract virtually making her a slave to him and stopping the Coven from killing her, after of course harvesting her eggs. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Sit down and take a deep breath Rachel is taking you on a rolling ride. The action kick starts at the first page and does not let up. Rachel Morgan, shunned Witch/Demon (?) is hunted by the Coven of Moral and Ethical Standards and her friends are drawn into the fight with horrible consequences. She finds herself in Alcatraz facing a lobotomy.
AL shows a new side and endears himself more to me (I love AL) Pierce in human skin, tries to save her and things change between them. Trent he and Rachel have a very complicated relationship and maybe something more. They've known each other since they were kids at camp. The charm given to her helps her remember some of it. One of the characters has something horrible happen to them, tears will flow.
Wow is the reaction I have to this book, a fine read ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I was a little disappointed to see that Rachel and Ivy have adjusted to the status of "friends only," which significantly reduces what I'd found most compelling about their relationship. But I enjoyed the storyline more than the previous book in the series and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can look forward to several more books before I read the last in the series, which was recently released. I've read a lot more urban fantasy since I first started this series, but it remains one of my favorites. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Very, very light reading but some of Harrison's books are fun. This one, not so much. There was far too much reiteration of action that had taken place in previous books and it quickly reached a point where it was getting in the way of the story. I gave up after Chapter 10 and put it aside for another day when I'm feeling a bit more patient.
  turtlesleap | Jul 7, 2015 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, Kimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the guy in the leather jacket.
Tucking my hair back, I squinted at the parchment, trying to form the strange angular letters as smoothly as I could.

Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons, and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter - and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind...until now.

Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment - her worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery. Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom. But trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and a lowlife ex-boyfriend-turned-theif.

A malicious coven accuses witch detective Rachel Morgan of consorting with demons, which could mean imprisonment--or death.

Eos

An edition of this book was published by Eos.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible