Once and Always by Judith McNaught

Once and Always (original 1987; edition 1990)

by Judith McNaught

847None10,557 (4.03)3
Member:TsumiNaBara
Title:Once and Always
Authors:Judith McNaught
Info:Pocket Books (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Once and Always by Judith McNaught (Author) (1987)

English (8)  German (1)  All languages (9)
I found this story of an American coming back to England to claim her heritage and her mother's past, quite a lot of fun. Some of the angst was a little overwrought but overall it engaged me and kept me reading.

However, it didn't really have a good anchor in the past, it could be anytime, but still Victoria entertained me with her attempts to be both herself and to fit into English society. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 23, 2012 |
Victoria lives in America with her sister and parents until her parents are killed in an accident. Her dreams of wedding her childhood sweetheart are put on hold as he is touring Europe and won't be back for six months. She must leave America for England to join the elderly cousin who will be her guardian. Her guardian has plans of his own. He wants her wed to his illegitimate son, Jason.

Jason has had an awful first marriage to a woman who wanted him only for his money and his title. The first wife has her own affairs that he is willing to put up with as long as he has his son. The first wife leaves him and takes their son on a ship's voyage to America but never make it because the ship is lost during a storm.

Jason will never willingly wed again or trust a female for that matter. He slowly melts and falls for Victoria.

Throughout their relationship there are many misunderstandings that are heartbreaking for the reader. They are much more "off" then "on." A very tumultuous relationship that overcomes all obstacles. ( )
  melorem | Sep 6, 2011 |
this is everything Judith Mnaught is and more.A lovely romantic book about love in the olden days.This book makes you stay up all night. and you love how she puts the books title in the book.Takes your breath away. ( )
  nayudaKaonga | Oct 15, 2010 |
Not my favorite McNaught, but I did enjoy it and reading about Jason's transformation from a brutal beast of a man to a wonderful human being who loves his wife and learns to open his heart - even if she had the brain the size of a pea!

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2010/09/once-and-always-by-judith-mcnaught.html ( )
  ktleyed | Sep 28, 2010 |
Once and Always is an earlier release for Judith McNaught and though I know I've read it before it's been so long, I had forgotten all about it. Because of this, I felt like I was coming to a brand new McNaught novel. Reading Once and Always was such a pleasure because it still holds up- after all these years- and it packs a powerful emotional punch. (Although I must admit not so much now as it would have back in the day because so many authors have copied her style.)

Jason Fielding, embittered by a marriage gone horribly wrong, is not interested in marrying ever again. His father has other ideas. Charles Fielding wants an heir and he wants Victoria Seaton, the daughter of the woman he loved and lost years ago, to give his son that heir.

When Victoria, orphaned and alone, shows up at Jason's Esatate he's sure she's yet another empty-headed, gold digger. But her free-spirited charm, kindness and sharp mind begin to weaken his resolve from the first moment he meets her.

Victoria has sworn to never marry for anything but love and the arrogant Jason Fielding is the last man she would ever consider marrying, especially since she's already met the love of her life back home in America.

Circumstances change though when she gets word that Andrew, the man she thought she'd spend the rest of her life with, marries someone else and the ailing Charles Fielding makes her promise to marry Jason while on his deathbed. Feeling betrayed by Andrew and strangely attracted to the man who would be her fiancé, she agrees.

Misunderstandings ensue when Jason, for self-preservation reasons- pulls away from her soon after their marriage. On top of that, Andrew suddenly appears, unmarried and desirous of a re-connection with Victoria. When Victoria discovers that Charles and Jason tricked her into marriage- she abandons the Estate on a wild ride, disappointed beyond belief- the tremulous dream of everlasting love dashed once again by the betrayal of men.

Though Jason is the type of man to love once and always ... will their love be enough to conquer the circumstances aligned against them?

Okay, this is old school romance. The guy is alpha, brooding and difficult to like. But Mcnaught won me over with Victoria- she charmed the mean Jason Fielding out of his arrogance and me right along with him. People who read romance novels now won't like him- heck he keeps a mistress even after he's met the heroine- SHOCKING!- but I fell for him all over again ... even if it all felt a bit contrived.

Sadly, they just don't write these emotional tour-de force romance novels anymore and I miss them.

Realizing this book is a first in many ways, I'm giving it 4.5 out of 5. Can't wait to re-read some of McNaught's other oldies! ( )
  ZEEK319 | Jan 12, 2010 |
To my father, who always made me feel that he was proud of me
and
To my mother, who helped me do the things that made him proud
What at team you are!
"Oh, there you are, Jason," the raven-haired beauty said to her husband's reflection in the mirror above her dressing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671737627, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:25 -0400)

Across the vast ocean sailed Victoria Seaton, a free-spirited American beauty left suddenly orphaned and alone. Eager to claim her long-lost heritage, she was amazed at the formal elegance of Wakefield, the sumptuous English estate of her distant cousin...the notorious Lord Jason Fielding. Sought after at plays, operas, and balls by London's most fashionable ladies, Jason remained a mystery to Victoria. Bewildered by his arrogant demeanor, yet drawn to his panther-like grace, she came to sense the searingly painful memories that smoldered in the depths of his jade-green eyes. Unable to resist her spitfire charm, Jason gathered her at last into his powerful arms, ravishing her lips with his kisses, arousing in her a sweet, insistent hunger. Wed in desire, they were enfolded in a fierce, consuming joy, free at last from the past's cruel grasp. Then, in a moment of blinding anguish, Victoria discovered the shocking treachery that lay at the heart of their love...a love she had dreamed would triumph...Once And Always.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible