A Splendid Friend Indeed (Bear and Goose…

A Splendid Friend Indeed (Bear and Goose stories) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Bloom

392None27,176 (4.03)None
Member:hcurrey
Title:A Splendid Friend Indeed (Bear and Goose stories)
Authors:Suzanne Bloom
Info:Boyds Mills Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:picture, friends, animals

A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom

Recently added byHTorrance, SSH, Colbi, MissDemain, MWFBAZ, private library

Illustrations done in pastel. An annoying duck wants to do everything bear is doing, and bear does't like it. But in the end duck is very nice to bear and they are good friends and share a snack together.
  Colbi | Mar 15, 2014 |
This story just comes to show that everyone is in need of someone to be there for them. We have bear who seems to be doing fine without anyone by his side. He seems to be quite content just doing his own thing. However, here comes goose with his vibrant and persistent personality to try to start a conversation with bear. Bear is hesitant and tries to reluctantly to stay away and just as he is about to blow up, goose reads something to him. "I like you. Indeed I do. you are my splendid friend." Sometimes that's all it takes, someone to say these words to make everything else disappear and make someone truly happy. That was what bear had been missing all along.
  mariasegoviano | Jan 21, 2014 |
This is a short and sweet book about a duck who really want to be the bear's friend. He annoys the bear and wants to be part of everything the bear is doing. In the end the bear realizes that the duck is just trying to be nice and then they both eat a snack together. I think its a great read-aloud book. ( )
  tarannum93 | Dec 12, 2013 |
Wanted to read this one for a while, so much did I like the cover. Sweet story about friendship and understanding, illustrated in lovely, dreamy, textured pastels, blue, yet warm, the type you would want to frame and hang by your child's bed. There are follow ups to this books, in a series of titles about Goose and Bear, and if my son was younger (he's four, going on five) I would probably get all the titles without hesitation. [b:A Splendid Friend, Indeed|1081530|A Splendid Friend, Indeed|Suzanne Bloom|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347798127s/1081530.jpg|1068273] however, while probably aimed at toddlers/preschoolers can double as an early reader with its simple vocabulary, and yet it contains two of my favorite words of the English language: splendid and indeed! Goose and Bear are certainly an unlikely pair of friends, as different in temperament as they are, one eager, inquisitive, the other quiet and contemplative. This creates a tension right from the beginning, that definitely caught my young reader's attention. We loved the happy conclusion! ( )
  Fjola | Oct 16, 2013 |
This is a very cute children's story about a duck and a bear. Throughout the book the bear reads, writes, and thinks, while the duck "annoys" the bear, asking him what he is doing, and that he can do the same thing. The duck just likes the bear, and wants to be his friend, so he writes him a note, and makes a snack; the bear realizes that the duck isn't annoying, but that he just cares and wants to be his friend. The two end up hugging and eating the snack together because the bear gave the duck a chance. ( )
  Backus2 | Sep 9, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159078488X, Paperback)

Stunning illustrations capture the exasperation of Bear, whose solitary reading and writing are continually interrupted by persistent Goose. In the end, Bear is won over and to his own surprise, declares Goose a Splendid Friend, Indeed! A very funny story with a warm message about not judging others.

A Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:53 -0400)

When a studious polar bear meets an inquisitive goose, they learn to be friends.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible