I Scream, You Scream by Wendy Lyn Watson

I Scream, You Scream

by Wendy Lyn Watson

A Cup of Jo by Sandra Balzo (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another fun, cozy mystery
    Maid of Murder by Amanda Flower (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another cute mystery with a fun female protagonist.

Sometimes you just want a book you can read in a few hours. No intelligence needed, no lingering thoughts when you're done, just a quick and easy read to clear your mind. That was this book this month. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
What a great start for a series, I almost figured it out! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Sep 29, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. It had been on my to read list for a while. Then in October 2010 a friend picked up an autographed copy for me, but I didn't want to run the risk of messing up my signed copy, so I waited to read it until I could get a copy from the library. I recently had surgery and chose this as my get me through the ordeal read. It was a good choice.

There were a couple of things about this book that were a good indicator that this would be a series I would enjoy: ice-cream and Texas. I'm a transplanted Texan living in Colorado (love both states by the way) and for me ice cream is second only to chocolate. These are the two reasons I picked up the book. Watson's creative and humorous storytelling are why I kept reading.

This is truly a cozy. Yes, there's a death, but there's not a lot of "danger." In several cozy mysteries I read, our intrepid sleuth manages to find themselves in danger of some sort or another at least once during the story. Tally is a straight forward, no-nonsense character, though she does seem to have a hard time picking the right man.

Watson has created well developed characters (along with Tally we meet her cousin Bree and Bree's daughter Alice and a love interest from Tally's past - Finn) that the reader will want to learn more about. Even though the murder plays a big part in this book, Watson does take the time to give us a clear picture of Tally and the other residents of Dalliance, Texas.

If you are looking for a well paced, light hearted read and love mysteries and ice cream, this is the series for you. Check back soon for my review of Book Two: A Scoop to Kill. Book Three: A Parfait Murder will be released in June.

Booklady's Rating: 5 of 5 ( )
  Booklady123 | Feb 23, 2011 |
If Tallulah Jones didn’t need the catering job, she wouldn’t be in the company of her ex-husband Wayne and his new young girlfriend, Brittanie Brinkman – much less making nice with them. But her north Texas ice-cream shop, Remember the A-La-Mode, is struggling; and providing the ice cream concession at Wayne’s company picnic provides some much needed cash. Shortly after the picnic, Brittanie is dead and clues point to Tally as one who might have done her in. It doesn’t help that the two women got into a shouting match at the picnic. Then Wayne asks Tally to lie to police to provide him with an alibi.

Meanwhile, the high-school beau Tally dumped way back when to marry Wayne is back in town … and looking hot. Our heroine’s like-a-sister cousin Bree would love to see straight-as-an-arrow Tally take a chance on love again with Finn Harper. Now a newly hired reporter with the newspaper in Dalliance, Finn isn’t covering the murder – that honor goes to a more senior member of the editorial staff. But he and Tally team up to pool their information to get Tally off the police chief’s radar.

I’m pretty picky about grammar – and Wendy Lyn Watson passed my grammatical litmus test: the ability to use who and whom correctly. Not many authors do. But good grammar doesn’t always equal good storytelling. I’m happy to say Ms. Watson aced that part of the test, too. I Scream, You Scream is just plain fun to read, with great characters and wonderful sensory detail … detail that makes people and places come alive. Here’s an example -- her description of a very minor character: “Ted Albrecht had a lean, rawhide-tough face, the spare build of a Depression-era field hand, and a head as round and bald as a cue ball.” It’s short, to the point – and gives readers a quick mental snapshot. Lovely.

The behind-the-scenes look at the ice-cream business is especially interesting to me – but then I worked at a soda fountain while I was in high-school and college. Needless to say, it’s easy for me to recommend I Scream, You Scream to even the pickiest of cozy readers. It has the added bonus of a cozy heroine who is not dating a cop. Hooray! (Ice cream recipes also included.)

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library October 15, 2009.

Review based on publisher- or author-provided review copy.
  NewsieQ | Jan 24, 2011 |
Could not get into it. The characters were unappealing and the language coarse. Too much of the beginning of the book was taken up with describing the characters and location. ( )
  Read2Me2010 | Jan 23, 2011 |

Recently divorced Tallulah Jones is mortified when she's stuck scooping sundaes for her two-timing ex-husband--and his bodacious new girlfriend, Brittanie--at his company luau. But when Brittanie drops dead, Tally is suddenly the prime suspect in her murder investigation. To catch the killer, Tally will have to dip deep into her small Texan town's darkest secrets and churn up stories some would prefer to keep in the past. But can she uncover the real culprit before a murder charge puts her dreams on ice for good?… (more)

Wendy Lyn Watson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,481,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible