Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Drop of Blood (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out…

A Drop of Blood (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science)

by Paul Showers

Very cute and informative picture book. The graphics display realistic and computer generated diagrams of blood cells and images of the circulatory system . I would recommend this book to any child that is intrigued by the human body and its functions. This would also be a great book to introduce the circulatory system in the class room as the book is narrated by fun characters like a vampire and his ogre henchman. ( )
  CLEBLANC0 | Nov 26, 2018 |
Great book and explanation of the Circulatory system. I love how detailed and student friendly it is. There is even an activity mentioned in the book for students to go home and try. Paul showers has several other books that is a great source to bring inside the classroom to help with student knowledge and understanding of science. I know the system of the body are complex things to understand and he does a great job of explaining the systems to children audiences. The illustrations are great and detailed as well. ( )
  kml597 | Nov 15, 2017 |
40 months - O has been pretty obsessed with blood since she had her first "blood owie" two months ago. This is the perfect book for her age to learn about what blood is and it's importance in our body. Great book. Be sure to grab your flash light when you read it so your kiddo can see the blood in their hands and fingers! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Summary: This is a book about the blood inside your body. It explains how blood clots when you have a cut and that's why the bleeding stops. It also goes over specific facts about red and white blood cells and also plateles. It goes over the function of each one. It also explains how much blood is in each person of a different age and how we are always making new blood to replace blood cells we might lose.

Personal Reaction: I thought the illustrations were excellent. I thoguht it was maybe a little too mature for the audience Showers was targetting. I liked that he included a poem that summed up the information we had just learned. That makes is easier for readers at a younger age.

Classroom Extension: The poems in the book could be made into short songs to help students remember things about blood. Also, the book itself holds enough facts and information to teach students about blood and the different characteristics of it. ( )
  AmyPierce | Apr 28, 2013 |
A DROP OF BLOOD is an exciting way for children to learn the basics about blood and how it works in the human body. The illustrations and use of the vampire and monster characters help children stay engaged when reading. Children immediately want to read this text due to the colorful cover. The information within the pages is limited, but it will leave children wanting to learn more. The book is fact-checked by an expert in the field. A DROP OF BLOOD has clear organization and is easy-to-navigate. Children will love reading this story because it gives factual information in a very kid-friendly way. ( )
  amartin2787 | Aug 30, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006009110X, Paperback)

You've seen your own blood, when you have a cut or a scrape. You can see the veins in your wrist, and you've seen the scab that forms as a cut heals. But do you know what blood does for you? Without blood, you couldn't play, or grow, or learn. That's because just about every part of your body needs blood, from your muscles to your bones to your brain. How does your body use blood? Read and find out!

Ages 10 – 14

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

A simple introduction to the composition and functions of blood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible