Pinocchio (Little Golden Book) by Steffi…

Pinocchio (Little Golden Book) (1940)

by Steffi Fletcher

Other authors: Al Dempster (Illustrator), Ron Dias (Illustrator)

This is a story of a little wooden boy who only wants to be real. Jeppedo makes him a real boy. He has many adventures and gets into a lot of trouble after that.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
It's interesting to read the Disney Golden Book version of Pinocchio right on the heals of original Collodi version. The Golden Book is a pared down version of an already pared down version. In their brevity, they both try to make a coherent story out of Collodi's rambling allegories.

Characters that survive the transition from Collodi to Disney are Pinocchio, Geppetto, the Blue Fairy, the cat and fox (renamed), the puppeteer (now named Stromboli), the cricket (now named Jiminy), and the giant ship eating sea creature (changed from a shark to a whale and named Monstro). Scenes that survive: the carving of Pinocchio, the initial meeting of Jiminy and Pinocchio, the puppet show, Pleasure Island (a new name), the rescue of Geppetto and Pinocchio's transformation.

Frankly I'm still not a fan of either version of Pinocchio. In the original, Pinocchio is unlovable and brings most of the trouble onto himself. In the Disney version, Pinocchio is naive but otherwise likeable. He ends up sacrificing so much of himself just to fit in by way of becoming a "real boy." ( )
  pussreboots | Jan 18, 2015 |
This was the book my mom used to read to us children a lot. I got into puppets for a while and loved telling the story in front of my class for show and tell. The illustrations make children wonder what happens on the next page. Little Golden Books are nice to have as a collection. ( )
  lannersvalerie | Oct 11, 2014 |
This book is about a little puppet that becomes a real boy. He has a bad habit of lying. Every time he says a lie, he nose grows out long and he gets embarrassed and tries to hide it. This book is good for young children because they can see why lying isn't a good thing and maybe they will think their nose will grow long like his if they lie. I remember when I was little, my parents used to always tell me that my tongue was turning black and was going to fall off if I lied. ( )
  emilyann93 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Pinocchio is about a wooden toy who comes to life. To become a real boy he has prove himself worthy of being a great kid. Pinocchio realizes that its not so hard being a good boy and he lies often. When he lies his nose grows and although when you lie in reality your nose doesn't grow, it's still not good. The consequence of him lying was his nose growing. Students can learn that there is a consequence to every lie and its not being honest.
  Future_educator | Nov 25, 2013 |

Steffi Fletcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dempster, AlIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dias, RonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Is an abridged version of

One night,long, long ago, the Evening Star shone down across the dark sky.

Text and stills from the film present the adventures of the puppet boy whose nose grew whenever he told a lie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

The adventures of the puppet boy whose nose grew whenever he told a lie.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,949,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible