BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism…

BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch…

by Lisa Jervis, Andi Zeisler (Editor)

Other authors: Diane Anderson-Minshall (Contributor), Gus Andrews (Contributor), Laura Barcella (Contributor), Beth Bernstein (Contributor), Audrey Bilger (Contributor)38 more, Carson Brown (Contributor), Kathy Bruin (Contributor), Keidra Chaney (Contributor), Margaret Cho (Foreword), Julie Craig (Contributor), Athena Douris (Contributor), Aimee Dowl (Contributor), Karen Eng (Contributor), Rachel Fudge (Contributor), Rita Hao (Contributor), Amy Harter (Contributor), Rebecca Hyman (Contributor), Lisa Moricoli Latham (Contributor), Jennifer Maher (Contributor), Marisa Meltzer (Contributor), Anna Mills (Contributor), Anne Elizabeth Moore (Contributor), Gabrielle Moss (Contributor), Jennifer Newens (Contributor), Monica Nolan (Contributor), Brendan O'Sullivan (Contributor), Tammy Oler (Contributor), Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha (Contributor), Jennifer L. Pozner (Contributor), Margaret Price (Contributor), Don Romesburg (Contributor), Danya Ruttenberg (Contributor), Keely Savoie (Contributor), Julia Scheeres (Contributor), Heather Seggel (Contributor), Julia Serano (Contributor), Leigh Shoemaker (Contributor), Matilda St. John (Contributor), Shauna Swartz (Contributor), Lori L. Tharps (Contributor), Noy Thrupkaew (Contributor), Vanessa Veselka (Contributor), Summer Wood (Contributor)

Satiating. Good to read, like bell hooks, just after a class in which a few loud students are insisting that feminists are merely man haters, and racism is a thing of the past.

some of the articles in the magazine itself are pretty out there. like, my little ponies teach little girls how to raise their humps and bat their big, dilated eyes. i'm not saying it's bad to question the toys we hand our kids, but still. the fare in the book is a bit more selective.

these collected articles tackle some pressing issues in just the ways i want them tackeled. for once. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |

usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
A great collection of essays from Bitch magazine, organized thematically.
  bfister | Nov 13, 2010 |
Never really read the magazine except for maybe one issue. Gave me a lot to think about that I'm still kicking around. Would like to read more. ( )
  kanata | Apr 11, 2010 |
The easiest way to sum up my impression is that I'd never read the magazine when I started this book, and when I was done, I ordered a (prepaid) subscription. I've still read very little on feminism, so even the presumably standard stuff was novel. It was surprisingly not-angry, given the title. Most pieces were just wry, and unnervingly close to resigned. On the other hand, except for one bit in one chapter intro, everything was thoroughly rational and quotable. I particularly liked seeing some of my presumably more out-there views expressed; the ones I've never heard anyone share before. And I still love the bit "[apparently women] use their genitals only as sticky traps in which to catch wedding rings." ( )
1 vote kristenn | Nov 17, 2009 |

Newens, JenniferContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nolan, MonicaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Sullivan, BrendanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oler, TammyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piepzna-Samarasinha, Leah LakshmiContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozner, Jennifer L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tharps, Lori L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thrupkaew, NoyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veselka, VanessaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, SummerContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In the wake of Sassy and as an alternative to the more staid reporting of Ms., Bitch was launched in the mid-nineties as a Xerox-and-staple zine covering the landscape of popular culture from a feminist perspective. Both unabashed in its love for the guilty pleasures of consumer culture and deeply thoughtful about the way the pop landscape reflects and impacts women's lives, Bitch grew to be a popular, full-scale magazine with a readership that stretched worldwide. Today it stands as a touchstone of hip, young feminist thought, looking with both wit and irreverence at the way pop culture informs feminism--and vice versa--and encouraging readers to think critically about the messages lurking behind our favorite television shows, movies, music, books, blogs, and the like. BITCHFest offers an assortment of the most provocative essays, reporting, rants, and raves from the magazine's first ten years, along with new pieces written especially for the collection. Smart, nuanced, cranky, outrageous, and clear-eyed, the anthology covers everything from a 1996 celebration of pre-scandal Martha Stewart to a more recent critical look at the "gayby boom"; from a time line of black women on sitcoms to an analysis of fat suits as the new blackface; from an attempt to fashion a feminist vulgarity to a reclamation of female virginity. It's a recent history of feminist pop-culture critique and an arrow toward feminism's future.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:39 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible