Makers by Cory Doctorow

Makers

by Cory Doctorow

English (55)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (57)
(139)
  activelearning | Nov 16, 2014 |
Doctorow loves to write about the near-future with the little guy going up against evil mega-corps and 'Makers' is no exception to that basic premise. Perry and Lester are hacking a post-modern living out of the wasteland of near-future America while living in the shadow of the evil Disney corporation. Suzanne is an ex-reporter turned blogger hired to cover their story. Together, along with a few other people, they create a cult of personality that changes the world - for a little while.

This book was up & down for me. Mostly up; the writing style is direct and easy to read. The characters are pretty well-conceived and have interesting relationships with each other. The back-drop of the post-modern, post-consumer world is rendered in great, but not over-bearing, detail. I'm not entirely sure what the denouement was supposed to be though? The last few chapters left me feeling flat as the story just sort of petered out.

I have to add that I did not really intend to read this book when I began it. Doctorow, putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to his stance on intellectual property rights, released the e-book version of 'Makers' under a Creative Commons license. That means it's free to download from online sources, (his website, gutenberg.org, etc). However... the cover artwork is not included in the licensing. So... here I had this blank bookcover on my e-reader and, having forgotten what it was that I downloaded several months ago, I only openend the file to see which book it was. I parsed a few paragraphs and was quickly hooked in & ended up reading this almost 600-page tome in just about four days. In short, it's an easy read that you can snag for free. Give it a shot. Even though the book is not perfect, it does contain a lot of cool ideas. ( )
  ScoLgo | Nov 5, 2014 |
A great book centering and the friendship between two guys that just want to make awesome tech stuff. They start a revolution, and the story gets told to the world by a tech journalist. ( )
  andystehr | Oct 20, 2014 |
This is up there as one of my favorite books, it starts with an exploratory fiction of what manufacturing could be and follows through with a world of change. It really does seem to capture the human endeavor and watching the characters mature and change was amazingly interesting. It reminds me every time I read it that there is a time for unyielding optimism and want for a perfect world and, while it will annoy everyone around you, it helps ( )
  Lorem | Oct 11, 2014 |
A novel of ideas that includes well-developed characters and endless inventiveness. In a near future, large corporations begin to invest in small entrepreneurial operations. Two makers in Florida catch the eye of an investor and a Silicon Valley blogger. Each of the three has to decide how their work will fit with their values in a world where the US has huge Hoovervilles full of homeless folks. Lots of fun and lots to think about.
  bfister | Sep 13, 2014 |
For "the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things."
Suzanne Church almost never had to bother with the blue blazer these days. Back at the height of the dot-boom, she'd put on her business journalist drag--blazer, blue sailcloth shirt, khaki trousers, loafers--just about every day, putting in her obligatory appearances at splashy press-conferences for high-flying IPOs and mergers. These days, it was mostly work at home or one day a week at the San Jose Mercury News's office, in comfortable light sweaters with loose necks and loose cotton pants that she could wear straight to yoga after shutting her computer's lid.

What happens to America when two geeks working from a garage invent easy 3D printing, a cure for obesity, and crowd-sourced theme parks? Lawsuits against Disney are only the beginning in this major novel of the booms, busts, and further booms in store for America in the age of open source and its hero/hacker culture.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,482,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible