Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Ngozi…

Half of a yellow sun (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Jeni Thompson (Cover photographer), Vania Leles (Cover model)

3,9062031,315 (4.12)1 / 960
Member:TheoClarke
Title:Half of a yellow sun
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)
Other authors:Jeni Thompson (Cover photographer), Vania Leles (Cover model)
Info:London : Harper Perennial, 2011. Paperback.
Collections:Purged, Unread unowned, Wishlist, To borrow
Tags:1960s, 21st century, Africa, Biafra, civil war, colonialism, fiction, historical, Nigeria, Nigerian author, novel, paperback, war, World Book Night

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2006)

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (mrstreme)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (2810michael)
    The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: En halv gul sol
    There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra by Chinua Achebe (chazzard)
    Ancestor Stones by Aminatta Forna (cbl_tn)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Iudita)
    The Ghost of Sani Abacha by Chuma Nwokolo (WorldreaderBCN)
    The Baobabs of Tete and Other Stories by Kari Dako (WorldreaderBCN)
    A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche (imyril)
    imyril: Another difficult novel of modern Africa, focusing on the Nigeria civil war and the Biafra famine rather than Rwanda.
    Sunset at Dawn by Vincent Chukwuemeka Ike (goddesspt2)
    goddesspt2: A novel about the Biafra war. Cited by Adichie in her Author's Note.
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The stories of a impoverished countryside boy and two upper-class sisters are told against the backdrop of the 1960s Biafran War. This book, by one of Nigeria's most famous authors, should appeal to readers interested in Nigeria's history, Nigerian society and the lives of women in Nigeria.… (more)
    Never again by Flora Nwapa (goddesspt2)
    goddesspt2: Cited by Adichie in her Author's Note.
    Graceland by Chris Abani (wandering_star)

English (183)  Danish (4)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (203)
This was so much more painful to read than Americanah was. It took me several times longer to read, too, but that wasn't why; I just had some other things in the last few weeks that took up most of the time I usually use for reading. Still, amazing, and I think Adichie has become one of the authors whose books I'll automatically want to read just because she wrote them.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
An historical novel set in Nigeria during the Nigerian revolution from the point of view of the Igbo who fought to become the independent nation of Biafra. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
This follows the viewpoint of three people, set just before and during the Biafran conflict at the end of the 1960s.
This is a story of relationships in the middle of a dreadful historical event and puts faces and voices into something that is a dimly remembered disaster for most of the rest of the world.
Touching and heart-wrenching. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
In this book we follow five characters via three points of view in both the early and late 1960s before and during the secession of Biafra from Nigeria. We start off when Ugbu is taken by his aunt to be the houseboy for Odenigbo, a professor with revolutionary ideals, and as we see each person's POV, the story moves forward, although it does do a 4 part system where we see the first part of the early 60s, the first part of the revolts and secession, then the second parts of each of those. The second POV we see is that of Olanna, the intelligent and beautiful daughter of a powerful man who moves in with Odenigbo. Her fraternal twin, Kainene, a strong person who is not as beautiful as her sister ends up romantically linked with the third POV character, Richard. Richard is an English writer drawn to Nigeria first by his love of the beauty of old artistic finds as well as the country.

The lives of these five naturally intertwine to one degree or another throughout the years, and we see how actions by other family members and friends along with the the horrors of the war change each of them both individually and in their relationships with each other.

Adichie has an amazing ability with words and captures a great deal with them. This is a powerful book. However, I am unable to give it a 5 because, honestly, once removed from the book and factoring in the different culture, there was nothing spectacularly new about human nature or how she spent so much time on the brutality of the war and its devastating effects. In fact, I could only read so much per day before I had to put the book down and move on to read something else and it didn't keep me up to all hours of the night wanting to see what came next. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Book Description
With effortless grace, celebrated author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie illuminates a seminal moment in modern African history: Biafra's impassioned struggle to establish an independent republic in southeastern Nigeria during the late 1960s. We experience this tumultuous decade alongside five unforgettable characters: Ugwu, a thirteen-year-old houseboy who works for Odenigbo, a university professor full of revolutionary zeal; Olanna, the professor 19s beautiful young mistress who has abandoned her life in Lagos for a dusty town and her lover 19s charm; and Richard, a shy young Englishman infatuated with Olanna 19s willful twin sister Kainene. Half of a Yellow Sun is a tremendously evocative novel of the promise, hope, and disappointment of the Biafran war.

My Review
I enjoyed reading this book very much. It was an eye opening look into the Biafran War and the Nigerian culture. Adichie has a beautiful writing style that brings all of her characters to life. It is definitely a book that will be hard to forget. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
While there are disturbing scenes, the writing is superb, and Adichie puts a human face on war-torn Africa. The characters are authentic, the story is compelling. It is a worthwhile read, which will linger in your thoughts long after you turn the last page.

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sundström, JoakimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Today I see it still--

Dry, wire-thin in sun and dust of the dry months--

Headstone on tiny debris of passionate courage.--

Chinua Achebe,

From "Mango Seedling" in

Christmas in Biafra and Other Poems
My grandfathers, whom I never knew,
Nwoye David Adichie and Aro-Nweke Felix Odigwe,
did not survive the war.
My grandmothers, Nwabuodu Regina Odigwe and Nwamgbafor Agnes Adiche, remarkable women
both, did.
This book is dedicated to their memories:
ka fa nodu na ndokwa.
And to Mellitus, wherever he may be.
Master was a little crazy; he had spent too many years reading books overseas, talked to himself in his office, did not always return greetings, and had too much hair.
'I am Nigerian because a white man created Nigeria and gave me that identity. I am black because the white man constructed black to be as different as possible from his white. But I was Igbo before the white man came.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0007200285, Paperback)

In 1960s Nigeria, a country blighted by civil war, three lives intersect. Ugwu, a boy from a poor village, works as a houseboy for a university professor. Olanna, a young woman, has abandoned her life of privilege in Lagos to live with her charismatic new lover, the professor. And Richard, a shy English writer, is in thrall to Olanna's enigmatic twin sister. As the horrific Biafran War engulfs them, they are thrown together and pulled apart in ways they had never imagined. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's masterpiece, winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction, is a novel about Africa in a wider sense: about the end of colonialism, ethnic allegiances, class and race - and about the ways in which love can complicate all of these things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

A novel set during Nigeria's struggle for independence in the 1960s involving five characters including thirteen-year-old Ugwu, a university professor, the professor's mistress, and a young Englishman named Richard.

New Internationalist

An edition of this book was published by New Internationalist.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible