I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret…

I Heard the Owl Call My Name (1967)

by Margaret Craven

Recently added byLighthouse_Library, kpevjen, lisa.schureman, fmcdonald1044, private library

You get a hint of what's ahead from the first page where the bishop is discussing his vicar. Somehow I wound up reading this as I was heading north to Victoria, B.C. I only knew that the book was about Native American culture. Margaret Craven does a wonderful job bringing the native culture to life and characters that you care about. The tribal elder who is so relieved when Mark Brian helps clear a new burying ground, blesses it, and helps re-bury Kingcome's ancestors who due to storms have had their burial trees and boxes destroyed. Another tribal member gets drunk, sells a valuable mask and not he winds up disgraced but his extended family as well ( )
  lisa.schureman | Sep 8, 2014 |
About a vicar and his experiences ministering to Indians of the west coast of British Columbia. One of the few books that present both sides with respect. Even Residential schools are respectfully treated. ( )
  charlie68 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Amid the grandeur of the remote Pacific Northwest stands Kingcome, a village so ancient that, according to Kwakiutl myth, it was founded by the two brothers left on earth after the great flood. The Native Americans who still live there call it Quee, a place of such incredible natural richness that hunting and fishing remain primary food sources.

But the old culture of totems and potlatch is being replaces by a new culture of prefab housing and alcoholism. Kingcome's younger generation is disenchanted and alienated from its heritage. And now, coming upriver is a young vicar, Mark Brian, on a journey of discovery that can teach him—and us—about life, death, and the transforming power of love.
  XNGched | Dec 24, 2013 |
There is something compelling about I Heard the Owl Call My Name, by Margaret Craven, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is. It is a story with characters and themes that are delicately interwoven, telling a tale in a powerful yet understated manner. I found myself frequently re-reading sentences and paragraphs, not because they were too complex, but because they were so rich with meaning. Craven has written a fairly short novel, but one that I wanted to linger over.

The central character is Mark, a young priest, who does not know he has a fatal illness and a limited life expectancy. He is sent by his bishop, who knows of Mark’s illness (although Mark does not know), to serve a remote congregation of Native American’s living along coastal British Columbia. Mark is clearly an outside but he has a certain maturity as he enters into the Native community, getting to know them, and becoming known by them, in gradual increments. It is never forceful and in this way they not only accept him as their priest, but also as their friend, one in whom they feel free to trust with their deepest concerns.

I can’t write more without giving bits of the story away. And I think the reader would rather discover the beauty in this story on their own. I really liked this book and I highly commend it. ( )
  BradKautz | Jun 22, 2013 |
Mark Brian is a young Anglican vicar sent by his bishop to British Columbia to serve the Kwakwaka'wakw nation. The bishop knows what Mark does not--that Mark is dying. Among the Kwakwaka'wakw it is believed that one will hear the call of the owl when death is imminent. It is among this seemingly primitive tribe that Mark learns about the meaning of life. ( )
  cfk | May 29, 2013 |
In the 1960s, young, terminally ill priest Mark Brian is sent to a remote Kwakiutl parish in British Columbia. Sensitive and respectful, he shares in the peoples' hardships and sorrows and earns their trust. He learns that the Indians are "…not simple, or emotional, they are not primitive." He learns, too, that "there was no one truth [of the Indian]…." The Kwakiutl are consistently referred to as "the Indians." The characters are somewhat romanticized, but this is as true for the whites as for the Kwakiutl.

This book is for the Tsawataineuk Tribe at Kingcome Village, B.C., and for Eric Powell.
The doctor said to the Bishop, 'So you see, my lord, your young ordinand can live no more than three years and doesn't know it.'

A young minister is sent by his bishop deep into the seacoast wilds of British Columbia to a parish of Kwakiutl Indians called Kingcome. The Tsawataineuk live in an inlet village and take their sustenance from the sea and from the forest. The bishop has not told him this, but the priest has only two years left to live.
Among the vanishing Indians, Mark Brian learns enough of the meaning of life not to fear death. Through his faith and humanity, he becomes part of the village, of the Indians themselves,a d witness to their rituals and beliefs and the gradual disintegration of a culture.
then, on a cold winter evening, when he hears the owl in the forest call his name, he understands what is going to happen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440343690, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:24 -0400)

A terminally ill Anglican priest and his assignment in a coastal Indian community in British Columbia. The nonfiction story behind this book is told in Again Calls th Owl (1984). Best Books for Young Teen Readers. A young minister who has two years to live learns about the meaning of life when he is sent to an Indian parish in British Columbia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible