How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The…

by Jordan Christy

11619104,032 (2.93)6
Member:GraceWing-YuanToy
Title:How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace
Authors:Jordan Christy
Info:Center Street (2009), Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:*

This was one of those books I started and finished because I finish every book I start but I wish I had never started it. Terribly disappointing. It was shallow and simple. There was nothing thought provoking and it wasn't funny. Often it felt like I was reading a very long version of a people magazine. Pass on this book. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World has some useful information, but just thinking about Audrey Hepburn, and Andy Rooney's "taped-up pseudo-Asian" eyes for his character in Breakfast at Tiffany's really turned me off of the book. ( )
  GraceWing-YuanToy | Dec 31, 2012 |
Is it really possible for girls to maintain classic virtues when the news is full of attention seeking behaviour by sad starlets in g-strings, belly rings, shorter than short skirts and rehab? Author Christy abhors the current flock of ‘It Girls’ who are really letting the sisterhood down as ‘embarrassing, flippant and shallow.’ Where are the classy role models, the self-confident and graceful women we want our intelligent young women to emulate? Perhaps they need to look to classy iconic women like Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and Jackie O. This book includes advice on finding your own glamorous style with tips on professional success and true love. Sections on diet, speech, work ethic, friends, relationships, manners, makeup and fashionable yet modest clothing, are intended to show modern women how they can be beautiful, intelligent and fun whilst retaining values and morals. Christy also stresses the need to find purpose and work hard towards life goals rather then expect to be handed things on a platter. Self-explanatory chapter titles include ‘Keep your chin up and your skirt down,’ ‘let him come calling’ and ‘choose your friends wisely.’ As Christy says, ‘Lets face it – it’s high time some extraordinary young women brought self-respect, intelligence, and true beauty back to the female gender’ (p. 5). Great for teenage girls and their mums too! ( )
  boppisces | Jun 19, 2011 |
Subtitle: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace. ( )
  Elishibai | May 7, 2011 |
The exact reading niche for this book is difficult to determine. Those who already want to live with intelligence and class like the classic strong Hollywood women from the 1940s and 1950s will be hard-pressed to find much new information here beyond the fashion advice (which is quite good). On the other hand, the partying "Stupid Girls" who most need this book probably won't be inclined to pick it up. Still, everyone gets tired of partying eventually. Hopefully this book will serve as a much-needed guide to women raised to a partying lifestyle by reality tv and the media instead of to use the freedoms our suffragette fore-mothers fought for to the best of our abilities.

For my full review, see: http://wp.me/pp7vL-rv ( )
  gaialover | Feb 4, 2011 |
It would be naive to think we could ever again have a woman exactly identical to Jackie O., Audrey Hepburn, or Mother Teresa; we live in a different world now, and like my mom says "It was a simpler time then."

Counsels young women on how to develop a glamorous personal style while promoting oneself professionally and romantically, sharing advice on avoiding the pitfalls of undignified trends while drawing on the examples of classic role models.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World: The Art of Living with Style, Class, and Grace by Jordan Christy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,730,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible