The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

1,731None4,078 (3.91)85
Member:TayteH
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:love, fey, iron

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

2010 (10) 2013 (11) adventure (23) ebook (28) fae (12) faerie (84) fairies (37) fantasy (186) fey (21) fiction (56) Iron Fey (24) Kindle (13) library (12) magic (17) novel (8) own (20) paranormal (26) paranormal romance (16) read (22) read in 2010 (11) read in 2011 (14) romance (52) series (31) supernatural (13) teen (19) to-read (116) urban fantasy (34) wishlist (10) YA (92) young adult (102)
    A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (256)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (258)
Meghan is half fey and half human but never knew it (gee sounds familiar doesn't it?) Her brother is stolen and replaced with a changeling (again, familiar!) so she goes into the fairy realm to save him.
Nothing new about this book. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 9, 2014 |
So. I would like to begin by pointing out and then promptly dismissing the fact that there are some small problems with the book. BUT WHO CARES! I still loved it! Now, for those who are wondering, it is actually a huge deal that I liked this book. If you would refer back to my review of Ballad, you will see that I have had a festering grudge against fairy/faery/fey books for quite a while. They all seem to jump right into the fey-frey without explaining what the hell is going on! Throw in some drivel about iron allergies and some kind of phobia about telling people your "true name" and ta-da: a dumb story that makes no sense. Well, Kagawa actually went to the trouble to throw in a few explanatory sentences. THANK YOU! She doesn't over do the explanations, she includes just enough that you are not left wondering what the crap happened to Tinker Bell.

Much to my surprise, the story was actually original in some of its plot points. There were a handful of scenes that reminded me of a variety of other faery stories but overall, it very much stood apart from similar tales. I also felt the characters were well done. They have very distinct personalities and for the most part stayed true to themselves throughout the book. Meghan was a little all-over-the-place at times, but I felt like that was okish (or at least overlookable) since her character is going through a very rough transformation. I was a little dismayed with Meghan's initial reliance on her "protectors" but was glad to see that she begins to grow into her own power. She's no Katniss (yet?), but she is certainly no Bella either. I will definitely read the sequel and most likely all of the books in this series. There is something very rich about the world(s) Kagawa has set up for us. There are a variety of themes and focuses present in the story which sets this book apart from the many other very boring YA books that are only about girl boy=blah,blah,blah. I love meeting all of the new faeries that Kagawa introduces us to and I think the Iron Fey is a REALLY COOL idea. Very apt for our age of wasteful IT-will-save-us tunnel vision. I might put this on my favorites shelf, but I have to read the rest of the books in the series first. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this. I loved the fresh ideas on the fey and the story line progressed smoothly. Can't wait to read the next books in the series. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Well done and interesting addition to the whole "teen-girl-finds-out-she's-a-faerie" genre. ( )
  LouisVillains | Mar 31, 2014 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible