The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:TayteH
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:love, fey, iron

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (289)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (291)
Did NOT like this one at all. Story was just okay, but the writing really irritated me. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Excellent, already bought the second one on my nook! ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
"4.5 out of 5 stars! It's a fast paced, imaginatively written, and a page-turner from beginning to end! I cannot wait for the "The Iron Daughter" [Yet to be Released]!!! *sigh* The characters were AWESOME!! The story is a little mix of "Peter Pan" [the faery aspect], "Alice in Wonderland", and "Cinderella" ... love it I do!"

Check out my review and read a teaser here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/heart-dont-fail-me-now-courage... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
The major thing that I thought was fantastic about this book is how the story/plot takes Faerie and the legends and the folklore and the characters and the belief system behind it, and actually updates it for the 21st century. The faeries in this book are on the decline, a la Tolkien, and they are either very aware of this or in extreme denial. Characters from popular folklore like Oberon/Titania/Puck and stuff like the Seelie/Unseelie Courts are present, but there are also metal trees and--what are these strange creatures? They seem to be Faerie, only made of iron. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.
Meghan, the MC, is brought into this world in turmoil (oh yeah I just used that phrase, deal with it) and has to deal with her own personal problems, figure out who wants to use her and why, and somehow survive and be productive.
Like I said, I REALLY liked this idea. The plot and the way it was executed was really excellent in every way. I liked that it wasn't happy flowery fairies, but it also wasn't just the old, dangerous fairies in modern setting. It really goes into how the Faerie world would have changed since, say, the Middle Ages, but it wasn't completely "OMG HUG TREES SAVE THE PLANET" either. The characters and the world are struggling to achieve balance with everything that is going on, and of course not everything is resolved in this book (it's a trilogy). The only downside to the plot story was that occasionally it got a little confusing. It was like a video game quest, where you go to a NPC for an item, but then they're like "oh first you need to help get my cat down, so you'll have to go to this OTHER guy and get a ladder" etc etc. I had to pause a couple of times and think, "Okay, where are they going, and WHY?" and also "Who owes faerie debts to WHO right now?"
On to the characters!
Meghan screams at least once in every chapter. Let's get that out of the way. This REALLY annoyed me, but despite her endless screaming she does show good qualities like bravery, resourcefulness, and most particularly quick wits. Once she gets the idea of "FAERIES WILL MANIPULATE YOUR WORDS" into her head, she is able to hold her own and even outwit people at points. Overall I liked her. *nod of approval*
Robbie was my favorite part of this book. I was almost cheering every time he showed up. :) I would read this book for Robbie.
Ash was....Well. Ash was just one of those male love interests where you know exactly who he is and what he's going to act like, generally. Not very many surprises for me with him. But a nice icy winter faerie is always fun. I liked how the theme of balance came out with him, too: he begins to learn that it's not all about white/black Seelie/Unseelie Us/Them.
The other faeries were, in general, terrifying. I thought Oberon was a typical Oberon characterization, whereas Titania was VERY disappointing in that she's a 1-dimensional bitch. I was hoping she would be a bitch but in an awesome, flawed, complex way. Nope, she's just a bitch. POSSIBILITIES, LET US EXPLORE THE. I liked all the creatures, bugs, grimalkins, pack rats, etc etc etc...you'll have to read to enjoy all of those. The Iron King...Well, let me just say, the Iron King was completely hot, oh, and, er, interesting, and I really hope he's in the rest of the trilogy. Fantastic.
The writing was pretty good for a debut. There was definitely a few spots when I was shaken out of my reading with a "wtf is that sentence doing", a few iffy metaphors/similes (but I am wayyyy critical of sensory language) and such. But it was a much higher quality than, say, The Line or even Restoring Harmony. It was easy to ignore the language and get into the story, which is something I've been struggling with in debuts so far this year.
This is so long, I'm sorry! Just one more note. The romance: I wasn't huge on. The sexual tension was paced pretty well for the most part, but then there came a point when they were just suddenly-deeply, madly, truly in love and I was like oh okay. Wait, when did you decide this was working out????? :P But otherwise it was fine. I especially loved it because there wasn't a ton of sappy drippy romance until at least halfway through. We get emphasis on STORY here, people! :D ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,722,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible