The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (269)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (271)
The first thing I noticed about this book was the cover, it's gorgeous. I also noticed the pages, I love the swirly vine pattern on some of the pages in the book. It is gorgeous and a beautiful addition to my library; I love my ebooks but I can't wait to get a physical copy of the next book, The Iron Daughter, the cover is also truly beautiful.

I love Puck, I have always loved Puck in his many reincarnations whether Shakespearean or not. He is mischievous and just hilarious. I also like Ash but not quite as much as I like Puck. On the note of favorite characters, what person couldn't like Grim; he is completely awesome and a true faerie, deals and all.

It took a minute for me to get into the book and there are some predictable parts but not too many. I like the plot, it runs at a good fast pace. I do love the extreme imagination in this book, there is so much grandeur and so many truly unique contributions to faery lore. It is an honor to add this book to my faery literature shelf. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The Iron King is a book about a girl named Meghan Chase. In 24 Hours Meghan will be sixteen. But strange this happen not her on her birthday. Meghan finds out that her brother Ethan Chase was taken to the NeverNever and a changeling was left in hike place. Meghan Chase goes to the NeverNever with her guardian Puck Goodfellow on an adventure o find her brother. On the way they tag along with the Winter prince who says he will help them find Meghan's brother if Meghan goes back to the Winter Court to be turned in to his mother. Meghan and the Winter prince go to the Iron King's Layer to find her brother. Once Meghan has found her brother and has taken him home the Winter prince shows up to take Meghan back with him.

I loved this book. I loved fiction book that take me on adventures and gets me rapped up in them. This book had me non-stop reading it. even thought it took me awhile i wanted to take in every word they said. i even imagined every where they went.Also i imagined every fight that went on in this book. i didm't want to do anything until i finished reading this book.But now that i'm done i can do anything until i read the next book in the series. ( )
  trinety.b4 | Oct 19, 2014 |
This book is an adventure through Fairyland complete with lost princesses, changelings, handsome princes, and host of supernatural creatures. Meghan thinks she's a relatively normal teenager - until her toddler brother is replaced with a fairy changeling and Meghan ventures into the Nevernever (Fairyland) to get him back. Along the way, she discovers things she never suspected about herself, her past, and her lifelong best friend. Fun reading, highly recommended for those who enjoy YA fantasy! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 12, 2014 |
First of all, I can't quite believe this comes from the same author that wrote [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]. Kagawa has certainly made progress in developing her talent. There's no question that she comes up with great ideas but The Iron King shows she wasn't always great at executing them.

The first 50% of this book severely lacked finesse and, at times, was excruciatingly painful to read. Meghan's introduction to the fae world isn't seamless. Instead of the protagonist having that "seeing is believing" moment before we have a much needed explanation, we get it after, which, under the circumstances, wasn't the way to go. I found myself thinking, "Really, and you believe him why?" to Robbie's revelation about her brother's kidnap and switcheroo with a badly behaved changling doppleganger. To me, her brother's unusual reaction to his mother's accident wasn't enough evidence to start believing in the paranormal, and for following her, possibly delusional, best friend into the unknown to rescue the real, adorably innocent, 4-year-old Ethan. In Meghan's situation, I'd be trying to figure out a way to get Robbie to a mental hospital ASAP.

Other than this, in general, Meghan's point of view wasn't compelling -it was often jarring, angsty or just plain dull, and I soon turned to skimming, mostly slowing just for dialogue, which soon turned to skipping pages altogether. I don't think I missed much, lending to the idea that this wasn't as concise as it could've been. After the halfway point the prose became a little more readable so I slowed down but didn't stop skimming completely.

The Iron King has many influences ranging from Shakespeare's [b:A Midsummer Night's Dream|1622|A Midsummer Night's Dream|William Shakespeare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327874534s/1622.jpg|894834] to Carroll's [b:Alice in Wonderland|13023|Alice in Wonderland|Lewis Carroll|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166512952s/13023.jpg|2933712]. I haven't read the former so I didn't get those references but I'm definitely familiar with the latter, and I really liked what she took from that work and made it her own.

I enjoyed Kagawa's descriptions of the fey world. The use of seasons for the environments for each fae court: summer for the "good" Seelie court and winter for the "evil" Unseelies, was a nice touch. I also liked that human belief was the magical source of strength and immortality for the fae, and the effect of human technological progress where iron rules, deadly to fey, had created this third court where the corrosive iron is poisoning the fey world as it expands, soon to be encroaching on Summer and Winter territory. I've always been a fan of politics and manipulation in books and with the regular use of binding contracts by the fey, this element pleased me.

Unfortunately, the characters within this world are pretty much throwaways, I cared so little for them.

Our protagonist, Meghan isn't someone I rooted for. She's a non-character in my eyes. She's naive, loyal to her detriment, and has the potential to unnecessarily become a martyr making her ever so slightly irritating, but otherwise she lacks a personality. She not your typical fey, or half-fey. She's stubbornly human. Which reminds me, she's also a hormonal, horny teen salivating over Prince Ash's cold beauty. There'd be no tears if she accidentally "fell" off a cliff.

[Sidenote: She's had 3 fathers. One biological and 2 stepdads, one of which she believed to be her real father who disappeared out of thin air when she was very young. I wonder what happened to him. I'm guessing her biological daddy had a hand in it.]

Robbie, Meghan's [b:Grover|28187|The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)|Rick Riordan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327877746s/28187.jpg|3346751] and sidekick is nice and supportive with hints of having a crush on her, no doubt developed from Bodyguard Syndrome -instead of just guarding her body for all those years he started admiring it. His transformation into Puck in the fae world, I didn't like. On the one hand, his comedic flair added levity but on the other, he came across as a bit of an ass. This might be down to his difficult relationship with Ash, and later, his jealousy of Meghan's interest in Ash. I had hope he'd die before he makes his crush known (because obviously he will), thereby creating the dreaded Love Triangle. His presence, in effect, ended up creating more conflict rather than offering familiar comfort for Meghan during her journey to reclaim her brother.

Prince Ash, third son of Mab (the ruler of the Unseelie court) intrigued me to begin with. His verbal threat to kill Meghan while dancing with her had me sitting up and paying attention. His unwilling attraction to Meghan leads to a Romeo & Juliet angst-filled situation (I'm fed up of those in YA) although I'm not sure what exactly he's attracted to. Perhaps he senses an opportunity for an easy lay. Oops, I forgot. It's YA. There's none of that evil sex here, but there's nothing romantic about the pairing. They've been slapped together out of necessity, and if anything, physical lust is all that's between them.

The relationship of any substance in this book was between Ash and Puck. Previously the best of friends until Puck made an unintended mistake resulting in a deadly accident Ash has been unable to forgive. Since that disastrous day he's promised to kill Puck, meeting him in a number of skirmishes in which it seems clear that Puck has always had the advantage but has no wish to harm Ash. I think they deeply love one another. If either of them ever kill the other, I believe there would be deep regret.

The Cheshire Cat Grimalkin, the sarcastic talking cat, is easily the best character in the book. He's an independent outsider, content to observe the entertaining train wreck that is Meghan, Ash and Puck, as it unfolds, only offering help when it benefits him. However, he appears aware these are the only people able to save his homeland (and himself) from extinction so in emergencies he gives much needed aid freely without a price attached. He saved their lives many times. If Grimalkin had been narrating this book it would've been a far more delightful and humorous read.

Ash's contract with Meghan, his help recovering her brother in exchange for her willingly going with him to the Unseelie court and his waiting mother's hands, was obviously going to create fodder for another book but I just so wish for more stand alones. I don't like "crack" series -series with books which aren't that great but which you become addicted due to tantalizing (or agonizing) hooks thrown out by authors (e.g. cliffhangers), and The Iron Fey has all the markings of such. I want to read the next book but I have serious doubts after also reading [b:Winter's Passage|8070049|Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)|Julie Kagawa|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1271790569s/8070049.jpg|12771315]. I imagine it would be a frustrating experience I have no desire to put myself through.

1.5 stars.

*Bought in the UK Kindle Spring Spectacular 2011. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
"Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?

That's one of my favorite lines in this book. Puck's character was so entertaining.
This book for me was like watching a movie in my head. Ms. Kagawa does have a way of writing that brings everything she writes to life. I'm going with 3.5 stars for this book just because I wasn't crazy about the main character Meghan Chase. She was a bit of a whiny butt.
I loved fairy stories when I was a little kid. I wondered in my yard and woods and truly believed fairies could come to life. Heck I may still believe that. (fairy garden in my yard) I would have eaten this series alive if it had been around when I was younger. All in all though. I still have enough belief that I liked it. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible