The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Recently added byRena37, GeekGirlReads83, Aneris, private library, KnightDay, kmurray_69, trc2017, kroy486
    A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (296)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (298)
Even Meghan Chase doesn't know the secrets about her. Her father disappeared, and now her best friend isn't who she thought he was. A whole new world awaits Meghan.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 2, 2017 |
The one thing I appreciated about this book was that it did not take very long for Meghan to figure out she was half fey. Afterwards, the story continues in a fast pace as Meghan tries to figure out how to get her brother, Ethan, back to the human world - while picking up a few unlikely friends along the way.

I enjoyed reading in Meghan's voice, she was a tough female lead who was dedicated to finding and returning her brother to the human world. She gave vivid descriptions of the fey world and its creatures, which is necessary for the world building.

The story moves along quickly, but not so quickly that you can't take a breath. The characters take on a life of their own and the ending is strong. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of books in this series.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I've always wanted to read this series, so I finally borrowed a copy to read on my nook. With reviews like "brilliant and masterful" how could you not be dying to read it?

I was hooked on the very first page, greatly enjoyed the first few chapters, and then... I honestly just got bored. I liked the story line enough to keep reading it, but the pace was just so slow for me, and I was just expecting MORE. I just did not like Meghan Chase and I definitely didn't like Puck & didn't find him funny. Ash was shallow, selfish, and immature.

I don't find the storyline terribly original, the storyline isn't compelling, and added to the fact that I just didn't like the characters, I have to say I won't bother reading any more. The only reason why this one is rated 3 stars is because I did like it enough to finish it. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Posted on my blog Ruby's Books

Rating: 3.5 stars

This is one of those slightly painful to write reviews. Ever since I read The Immortal Rules I've been dying to read this series. I loved Kagawa's writing style and, since I've heard so much about The Iron Fey series, I thought I'd give it a try.

I loved the world in this series, the mythology and the whole "believe and it will exist" theme of the series. It was also interesting to see so may new creatures and the different interactions between them and the different rules and customs of the two courts.

The characters where great too. I especially liked Robbie. I wouldn't say I'm on his team, but I really enjoyed reading about him. He's very funny, charming and very, very mischievous. I was surprised to learn his real name and who he really is. I had a very different idea.

Then there's Ash. I did like his character, though at times he seemed a little too serious. But I liked that in the end he helps Meghan on her quest and that he tries to get along with Robbie.

Here comes the hard part of my review. While I liked Meghan a lot, I didn't understand her at all. I couldn't exactly figure out if she really loved Ash. I didn't feel that emotion for some reason. Yes, she was attracted to him (who wouldn't be?) but I didn't feel the love that much.

Then there's the ending. I would've wanted a little more drama, like we get in The Immortal Rules. Something big, something that leaves me staring at the computer and go "WTF? What just happened?". I don't know, something. Instead, I felt the book ended too easy, given what Meghan and Ash and Robbie had to go through to get to that point. Throughout the book there's this very nice pacing and a sense of danger and mystery and suspense and action, but right at the end it was stopped too fast in my opinion.

Even so, I did enjoy the books and I will be reading the next ones in the series. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I feel a bit undecided about this book as there were parts of it that I liked but parts that frustrated me .

Plot: 3/5

The plot is slightly different to your normal YA books at the moment with the involvement of Fey in the story but it still wasn't amazing. At times the plot moved quickly and was exciting but at times it moved slowly and was full of details that didn't seem necessary to the story. Also I feel there are the beginnings of a love triangle in this series which is a theme in YA that is getting old now.

Characters: 2/5

The main character Meghan is another frustrating female protagonist who spends most of her time needing to be saved by "her knight in shining armour", (the males in the novel). This is a boring character trait that a lot of YA main characters have that I find very annoying. Meghan also spends a lot of the start of the novel whining about things which makes her a bit unlikeable. The two males are a bit two dimensional and we don't know very much about them at this time.

Overall: 3/5

This is an alright YA novel which is based around an interesting idea but which doesn't quite deliver as much as you hope it would. Overall worth a read but I don't think I will bother continuing the series.
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,858,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible