The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (275)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (277)
I'd like to first shout a big THANK YOU to all the book bloggers who discussed, fangirl'd, and recommended this book to me. This is a perfect example of why I'm so glad to be a book blogger. I wouldn't have picked this book up on my own, and if I had never read this book I'd be missing out-- big time!

The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series. I haven't read many fairy/Fae books really. It's sort of weird because I love paranormal and I think fairies are cool. I have read books where "Fey/Fae" are encorporated in the story and I'm always intrigued by the unique ways the authors use them in the story. Of course, they're central in this story.

One of the reasons I loved this book so much was the host of amazing characters. When I say characters, I certainly mean characters. Meghan herself is a white-blond stick-thin teenager who crushes on a dumb-jock and isn't noticed by, like, anyone. (no, it's not because she's ugly or boring, there's actually a reason--but you'll have to read it to find out). Then there's Meghan's best friend Puck. He's a hilarious red-headed goof who has had her back forever. Or, at least as long as she can remember. Although she's never been to his parents house, never met his parents or seen his house. (Suspicious, right?!)

Meghan is just a high school girl who doesn't lead a particularly interesting life...(you know where this is going, don't cha?) Until she turns 16. The day of her birthday--sh*t goes down. Once Meghan comes home to find her horrible birthday getting even more horrible by being left alone with her little half-brother Ethan who is admittedly not himself all of a sudden. Meghan is determined to get Ethan back when he is kidnapped (it's in the blurb, so I'm not spoiling!) and whisked to The land of Fae (Not neverneverland--just the NeverNever). Meghan enlists Puck's help and finds herself on one hell of an adventure.

Oh, and did I mention my favorite character is a talking cat? *snickers* Grumalkin (said cat) is hilarious. And there's a hot bad boy Ash who Meghan finds herself hopelessly crushing on (hey, who wouldn't? And he's way better than the jock she previously vied for).

I strongly suggest you read this piece of YA fantasy heaven. I read The Iron King in one day (yeah, it's better than TV) and am going to Barnes & Noble this week to buy the next book in the series (or maybe the next two books...) because it will fill you with a NEED to read the rest of the series! It's that good. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews

That’s Meghan for you, children. “Whoa, I better not get too close to the answer, let me just move away now.”

Meghan was such an annoying main character. I couldn’t believe that there would actually be someone as stupid and as naïve as she was. She would hear whole conversations about a secret being kept about her, and instead of questioning it, or asking them directly what was happening, she would be like “nah, that’s okay. I don’t need to know”.

Meghan was also so incredibly juvenile. I was 16 once, and I hope with every fiber of my being that I never acted like Meghan did. I think that this book was trying to sound 16, but ultimately just felt childish. A character actually talked like: “Ohmygosh, did you like hear about Meghan? She is like, a super obnoxious looseeerr” (this was paraphrased)

That affected a lot how I enjoyed this story.
Meghan had the answers right there and she never knew what to do with them.
It was funny seeing everybody in the book saying: “You are a powerful girl, you are so incredibly smart” when I could never see her that way. I almost gave up on this book because I was so frustrated with it. I guess I shouldn’t have put so many expectations on it because all the 5 star reviews definitely influenced me. I'm actually frowning as I write this review because I really can't believe that I couldn't enjoy it as much as everyone else did.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the prose when it wasn’t overly simplified. Julie Kagawa found ways to describe the Never Never beautifully. The fae aspect was really nicely fleshed out as well.

I think the secondary characters were much more tolerable than Meghan, especially Ash and Grimalkin. Ash because he’s the tortured hero, the mysterious prince. I enjoyed reading more about his past and learning who he actually was. Grimalkin was a talking cat who helped Meghan get out of trouble a couple of times. Think of him as the Cheshire cat. I liked his character a lot, because it added to the “fairy theme”.

I think there was a good message in this book, but it ultimately fell a bit flat. I’m really disappointed in this book, but I will keep reading this series nonetheless.

Rating: 2.5 stars
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Desafío de Las NO-Recomendaciones: Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)

No-recomendado por Xime García e Yvette
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I received an ARC of the book "Iron Traitor" and even though the flaps on the dust jacket told me the story would appeal to me, I was put off by the publisher - Harlequin Teen. Me? Read a Harlequin Teen book? I don't think so! Folks, I was wrong. This series is good. Not great - and I would rate Girl of Fire and Thorns series as better - but Iron King is a good book. It is a sort of mashup containing elements of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and American Gods along with a healthy dose of steampunk and romance. Don't let the romance dissuade you. It is there and provides some tension for the story but is only one element.

There are the cliches and there is some just plain bad writing, but overall the plot is very well done with plenty of action and intrigue. This one might be a good series to listen to as well, since it is available on Audible. I can totally see this being read on long cross country trips. This is pure escapism. Perfect for reading on chaise lounge on a summer day at the beach. I just checked out book 2 - Iron Daughter from the library because the story has so intrigued me. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jun 4, 2015 |
Plot: Although there are a lot of elements that are commonly found in other faery books (Seelie and Unseelie Courts, Summer and Winter Fey, etc.), the world created by Kagawa is still unique. She created her own Fey that I had never read about before. Meghan's journey takes her to many different places and there was no way to anticipate what would happen next or who she would meet. There is action, suspense, and a little bit of mystery as the characters try to find Ethan and figure out who the Iron King is and where he came from.

Characters: I loved all of the characters in this book. Meghan, the main character, is half human/half faery who also happens to be a princess. She is a pretty awesome heroine and I loved her sarcastic personality. She was also independent, selfless and extremely stubborn which made me admire her because she knew what she wanted and fought for it. I just wish she hadn't been so dependent on the boys to save her all the time. The other characters include Ash, the Winter prince, Robbie/Puck, Meghan's best friend and Grimalkin, a cat faery that helps Meghan along the way. I genuinely enjoyed each and everyone of these characters. They were all different and had their own distinct personalities. They all stood out in their own distinct way. However, my favorite would probably have to be Puck because of his great sense of humor. He had me laughing out loud quite a bit.

Cover: The cover is gorgeous! I love all of the swirly vines/tress. Also, the girl represents Meghan nicely.

Overall Impression: Awesome! Why did I wait almost a year to read this? I can't wait to start The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,985,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible