The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (266)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (268)
"Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?

That's one of my favorite lines in this book. Puck's character was so entertaining.
This book for me was like watching a movie in my head. Ms. Kagawa does have a way of writing that brings everything she writes to life. I'm going with 3.5 stars for this book just because I wasn't crazy about the main character Meghan Chase. She was a bit of a whiny butt.
I loved fairy stories when I was a little kid. I wondered in my yard and woods and truly believed fairies could come to life. Heck I may still believe that. (fairy garden in my yard) I would have eaten this series alive if it had been around when I was younger. All in all though. I still have enough belief that I liked it. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed the first part, then I got a little bored, then it got a little better at the end. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
*Spoilers are clearly marked.

**Disclaimer: This is likely to be a half-assed review. I went ahead and read the short story and the 2nd book before writing this, so now it’s a bit difficult for me to assess this objectively. I’m going to try to stick to my main points and not ramble too much.. because that always works out so well for me.

3.5 Stars I liked this book, but I didn’t love it.

Kagawa has definitely created a lovely and interesting world, but I think there is a lot of silly going on here, too. I felt like this mostly teetered between Pre-teen and teen, but then there were things that were very grown-up. Weird.

About Meghan: I want like her, but all I could manage was tolerance. Damn, she was dumb. (What is the deal with all the dumb YA chicks? When will this epidemic end?) Certain death is barreling at her face and this doofus just stands there – numerous times, mind you. Is there really not a shred of self-preservation in your body, ya big dummy?

She’s also apparently nostalgic for the 70’s, cuz this chick played Let’s Make a Deal with errrry fay she happened upon. How do you tell yourself that you shouldn’t trust these people and then jump at making a deal with every last one of them? Dumb.

The whole TSTL heroine thing is getting so old. It’s unpleasant when you’re engrossed with a story and have to stop reading for a moment to facepalm and/or yell at the book.

How long did you know Ash before you vowed to have his babycicles? A week? Two? Tops? EYE ROLL

Let’s talk Grim. I loved him – to an extent. While his sarcasm and wit were very enjoyable, how often must he frikkin yawn? I mean, really. I have a cat. I’ve had cats for years. I’ve had as many as 4 cats at one time. None of them yawned before EVERY sarcastic comment.. Talk about overkill. It was distracting, because I had to keep taking my eyes off the book for a good roll.

My conclusion is that if you can get past the MC’s stupidity, this book is enjoyable and the series has promise. The concept is interesting and new. The world is beautiful and there are countless creatures to read about. I’d go into it without taking it too seriously. It is a fairytale, after all.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
The Iron King is the start of a lovable YA series about Faeries. Most YA book with similar plots start out with the main character, in this case Meghan Chase, thinking that her life is somewhat boring or hard. Only to realize that the original life she had was super easy compared to what she is now facing. Which is a life of folklore, magic and crucial future, that may get both her families in trouble or worse.

What The Iron King has going for it is likable characters. As we travel through the book we meet characters reminiscent of Alice In Wonderland, The Wizard Of Oz, A Midsummer’s Night Dream, and Jim Henson’s Labyrinth. The story is quick paced although sometimes too quickly as scenes whirlwind by. What I like about it is there more real life folklore brought to the story that some authors leave out of there fictional faerie stories.

I mentioned that The Iron King was a little too quickly rushed. Now that might be because I read it too quickly but I think it may be because I wanted more description in some scenes. Now while I did like the book I was a little bored by the plot because I have read it in so many other fictional faerie or witch books.

I did more than a little liked The Iron King, which is the first book in a series called The Iron Fey. It is a book for teens. Written with a teen in the lead. Fans of Alice in Wonderland would probably really enjoy this adventure too. ( )
  lavenderagate | Aug 7, 2014 |
Got kind of slow midway through for me but I finished it. It may be a while before I go further along in the series but I probably will try to finish it. ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible