The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:eBook, 2013
Rating:**1/2

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (291)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (293)
Though there were a lot of elements I enjoyed about this book - the writing style, the pacing, the main character - there were times it felt a little bit like playing Young Adult bingo. Plain jane and overlooked heroine, check. Secret destiny, check. Love triangle between boy next door and inutterably beautiful supernatural being, check. I wouldn't object to reading the next book, but I'm not running out to buy it, either. ( )
  MinaKelly | Aug 19, 2016 |
This young adult fantasy/romance features a socially awkward girl whose family has a big secret. When her little brother is stolen, Meghan Chase must enter the Never Never with a mischievous friend and a quirky cat in order to track him down. The story draws heavily on traditional fairy lore and Shakespeare’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream to create a wondrous, yet believable, fantasy world.

Megan is the kind of hero we admire. She has flaws and weaknesses, but her love for her little brother spurs her on to face life and death challenges. Friendship and romance add another dimension to the story. It is suspenseful and dramatic.

I thought I knew where the story was going. I expected her father to show up in a certain manner, but Kagawa wasn’t writing a predictable plot after all.

This is book one of the series. It has a satisfying conclusion to the main dilemma that leads well into the next novel. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Jul 10, 2016 |
Did NOT like this one at all. Story was just okay, but the writing really irritated me. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Excellent, already bought the second one on my nook! ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible