HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…
Loading...

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,0042773,349 (3.89)97
Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:eBook, 2013
Rating:**1/2
Tags:None

Work details

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

  1. 40
    A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
  2. 40
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
  3. 20
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
  4. 00
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
  5. 12
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 97 mentions

English (275)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (277)
Showing 1-5 of 275 (next | show all)
Deze recensie is als eerste verschenen op Carpe Libra
Julie Kagawa is er met De Ijzerkoning in geslaagd om in een pakkende schrijfstijl een prachtig boek te schrijven. Een boek dat me wegnam naar een andere werkelijkheid, waar elven en alle andere wezens waar mensen over dromen echt bestaan. Tenminste zolang je in ze blijft geloven ;) Vol kobolden, wyverns en draken. Met knappe prinsen, pratende katten en magie natuurlijk. Heerlijk om deze wereld te ontdekken!
Het verhaal mocht er ook wel zijn. Een ontvoerd broertje terughalen uit de klauwen van gevaarlijke monsters... Je kan je wel voorstellen dat ik af en toe op het puntje van mijn stoel zat! Wat was het spannend! Zou iedereen het wel overleven? Ook de manier waarop Julie Kagawa de personages had geschetst was zeer goed. De fae vooral waren erg mysterieus. Je kon bijna nooit met zekerheid zeggen dat er niets achter zat. Dat er niet eerst een tegenprestatie geleverd moet worden... Wow! Ik zou niet lang in Nimmernimmer overleven, ik flap er altijd van alles uit ;)
Waarom dan niet die vijf sterren als ik zo lovend ben over het verhaal? Dat heeft helaas te maken met onze hoofdpersoon. Meg. Ze kwam namelijk de meeste tijd over als een dom gansje. Een tegenstrijdig dom gansje dat natuurlijk de meest idiote dingen in het hoofd haalt. Waardoor andere mensen meestal pijn moeten lijden.... Niet iets waar ik echt goed tegen kan en aangezien het verhaal door Meghan's ogen verteld wordt, moest ik me af en toe bedwingen om haar door elkaar te schudden als ze weer eens op het punt stond iets ongelooflijks uit te halen...
Conclusie
De Ijzerkoning was een leuk boek om te lezen, met een prachtige wereld en een goed verhaal. Enige en ook grootste domper was onze hoofdpersoon. Die gedroeg zich het grootste gedeelte van de tijd als jonkvrouwe kip zonder kop die gered moest worden door haar prins op het witte paard. Zeer frustrerend af en toe, maar laat je door haar niet ervan weerhouden om aan dit boek te beginnen. Vooral de wereld (en de hotties) zijn meer dan de moeite waard! ( )
  CarpeLibra | Aug 16, 2015 |
I'd like to first shout a big THANK YOU to all the book bloggers who discussed, fangirl'd, and recommended this book to me. This is a perfect example of why I'm so glad to be a book blogger. I wouldn't have picked this book up on my own, and if I had never read this book I'd be missing out-- big time!

The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series. I haven't read many fairy/Fae books really. It's sort of weird because I love paranormal and I think fairies are cool. I have read books where "Fey/Fae" are encorporated in the story and I'm always intrigued by the unique ways the authors use them in the story. Of course, they're central in this story.

One of the reasons I loved this book so much was the host of amazing characters. When I say characters, I certainly mean characters. Meghan herself is a white-blond stick-thin teenager who crushes on a dumb-jock and isn't noticed by, like, anyone. (no, it's not because she's ugly or boring, there's actually a reason--but you'll have to read it to find out). Then there's Meghan's best friend Puck. He's a hilarious red-headed goof who has had her back forever. Or, at least as long as she can remember. Although she's never been to his parents house, never met his parents or seen his house. (Suspicious, right?!)

Meghan is just a high school girl who doesn't lead a particularly interesting life...(you know where this is going, don't cha?) Until she turns 16. The day of her birthday--sh*t goes down. Once Meghan comes home to find her horrible birthday getting even more horrible by being left alone with her little half-brother Ethan who is admittedly not himself all of a sudden. Meghan is determined to get Ethan back when he is kidnapped (it's in the blurb, so I'm not spoiling!) and whisked to The land of Fae (Not neverneverland--just the NeverNever). Meghan enlists Puck's help and finds herself on one hell of an adventure.

Oh, and did I mention my favorite character is a talking cat? *snickers* Grumalkin (said cat) is hilarious. And there's a hot bad boy Ash who Meghan finds herself hopelessly crushing on (hey, who wouldn't? And he's way better than the jock she previously vied for).

I strongly suggest you read this piece of YA fantasy heaven. I read The Iron King in one day (yeah, it's better than TV) and am going to Barnes & Noble this week to buy the next book in the series (or maybe the next two books...) because it will fill you with a NEED to read the rest of the series! It's that good. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Desafío de Las NO-Recomendaciones: Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)

No-recomendado por Xime García e Yvette
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I received an ARC of the book "Iron Traitor" and even though the flaps on the dust jacket told me the story would appeal to me, I was put off by the publisher - Harlequin Teen. Me? Read a Harlequin Teen book? I don't think so! Folks, I was wrong. This series is good. Not great - and I would rate Girl of Fire and Thorns series as better - but Iron King is a good book. It is a sort of mashup containing elements of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and American Gods along with a healthy dose of steampunk and romance. Don't let the romance dissuade you. It is there and provides some tension for the story but is only one element.

There are the cliches and there is some just plain bad writing, but overall the plot is very well done with plenty of action and intrigue. This one might be a good series to listen to as well, since it is available on Audible. I can totally see this being read on long cross country trips. This is pure escapism. Perfect for reading on chaise lounge on a summer day at the beach. I just checked out book 2 - Iron Daughter from the library because the story has so intrigued me. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jun 4, 2015 |
Plot: Although there are a lot of elements that are commonly found in other faery books (Seelie and Unseelie Courts, Summer and Winter Fey, etc.), the world created by Kagawa is still unique. She created her own Fey that I had never read about before. Meghan's journey takes her to many different places and there was no way to anticipate what would happen next or who she would meet. There is action, suspense, and a little bit of mystery as the characters try to find Ethan and figure out who the Iron King is and where he came from.

Characters: I loved all of the characters in this book. Meghan, the main character, is half human/half faery who also happens to be a princess. She is a pretty awesome heroine and I loved her sarcastic personality. She was also independent, selfless and extremely stubborn which made me admire her because she knew what she wanted and fought for it. I just wish she hadn't been so dependent on the boys to save her all the time. The other characters include Ash, the Winter prince, Robbie/Puck, Meghan's best friend and Grimalkin, a cat faery that helps Meghan along the way. I genuinely enjoyed each and everyone of these characters. They were all different and had their own distinct personalities. They all stood out in their own distinct way. However, my favorite would probably have to be Puck because of his great sense of humor. He had me laughing out loud quite a bit.

Cover: The cover is gorgeous! I love all of the swirly vines/tress. Also, the girl represents Meghan nicely.

Overall Impression: Awesome! Why did I wait almost a year to read this? I can't wait to start The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 275 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (1 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
Dedication
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
First words
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 5 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
7 avail.
264 wanted
5 pay2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.89)
0.5 2
1 10
1.5 2
2 37
2.5 13
3 153
3.5 46
4 242
4.5 20
5 222

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,995,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible