The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:eBook, 2013

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (294)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (296)
Posted on my blog Ruby's Books

Rating: 3.5 stars

This is one of those slightly painful to write reviews. Ever since I read The Immortal Rules I've been dying to read this series. I loved Kagawa's writing style and, since I've heard so much about The Iron Fey series, I thought I'd give it a try.

I loved the world in this series, the mythology and the whole "believe and it will exist" theme of the series. It was also interesting to see so may new creatures and the different interactions between them and the different rules and customs of the two courts.

The characters where great too. I especially liked Robbie. I wouldn't say I'm on his team, but I really enjoyed reading about him. He's very funny, charming and very, very mischievous. I was surprised to learn his real name and who he really is. I had a very different idea.

Then there's Ash. I did like his character, though at times he seemed a little too serious. But I liked that in the end he helps Meghan on her quest and that he tries to get along with Robbie.

Here comes the hard part of my review. While I liked Meghan a lot, I didn't understand her at all. I couldn't exactly figure out if she really loved Ash. I didn't feel that emotion for some reason. Yes, she was attracted to him (who wouldn't be?) but I didn't feel the love that much.

Then there's the ending. I would've wanted a little more drama, like we get in The Immortal Rules. Something big, something that leaves me staring at the computer and go "WTF? What just happened?". I don't know, something. Instead, I felt the book ended too easy, given what Meghan and Ash and Robbie had to go through to get to that point. Throughout the book there's this very nice pacing and a sense of danger and mystery and suspense and action, but right at the end it was stopped too fast in my opinion.

Even so, I did enjoy the books and I will be reading the next ones in the series. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I feel a bit undecided about this book as there were parts of it that I liked but parts that frustrated me .

Plot: 3/5

The plot is slightly different to your normal YA books at the moment with the involvement of Fey in the story but it still wasn't amazing. At times the plot moved quickly and was exciting but at times it moved slowly and was full of details that didn't seem necessary to the story. Also I feel there are the beginnings of a love triangle in this series which is a theme in YA that is getting old now.

Characters: 2/5

The main character Meghan is another frustrating female protagonist who spends most of her time needing to be saved by "her knight in shining armour", (the males in the novel). This is a boring character trait that a lot of YA main characters have that I find very annoying. Meghan also spends a lot of the start of the novel whining about things which makes her a bit unlikeable. The two males are a bit two dimensional and we don't know very much about them at this time.

Overall: 3/5

This is an alright YA novel which is based around an interesting idea but which doesn't quite deliver as much as you hope it would. Overall worth a read but I don't think I will bother continuing the series.
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Meghan Chase has a past and future that she can't imagine. She lives on a pig farm with her mother, stepfather, and stepbrother far from town and takes the bus to her high school. She has been seeing things her whole life but never believed them. Her original father had disappeared and left behind no clues besides his shoes. When her little brother is traded out with a strange creature her best and only friend must reveal the world of Faery to her. Also revealing his true identity, the legendary Puck. She is desperate to find her brother and forces Puck to take her to the faery world to find him. Facing dangers only dreamed of by others and discovering terrible truths all the way, Meghan tries to find information on her missing brother. Making a contract with an enemy to do so she is followed into the iron realm, where her brother is held captive. She sets out to complete her mission, kill the Iron King. It is done so with a witch-wood arrow, the heart of a dryads tree. With courage, hope, and love, Meghan Chase becomes legend.

I think that people who love fantasy, romance, and adventure would fall head over heels to get this book series. With surprises popping from pages and never ending adventure and story, I believe the Iron King is the book for you. I would rate this book four and one-half stars.
  PiperP.BG3 | Sep 9, 2016 |
Though there were a lot of elements I enjoyed about this book - the writing style, the pacing, the main character - there were times it felt a little bit like playing Young Adult bingo. Plain jane and overlooked heroine, check. Secret destiny, check. Love triangle between boy next door and inutterably beautiful supernatural being, check. I wouldn't object to reading the next book, but I'm not running out to buy it, either. ( )
  MinaKelly | Aug 19, 2016 |
This young adult fantasy/romance features a socially awkward girl whose family has a big secret. When her little brother is stolen, Meghan Chase must enter the Never Never with a mischievous friend and a quirky cat in order to track him down. The story draws heavily on traditional fairy lore and Shakespeare’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream to create a wondrous, yet believable, fantasy world.

Megan is the kind of hero we admire. She has flaws and weaknesses, but her love for her little brother spurs her on to face life and death challenges. Friendship and romance add another dimension to the story. It is suspenseful and dramatic.

I thought I knew where the story was going. I expected her father to show up in a certain manner, but Kagawa wasn’t writing a predictable plot after all.

This is book one of the series. It has a satisfying conclusion to the main dilemma that leads well into the next novel. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Jul 10, 2016 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible