The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:eBook, 2013
Rating:**1/2

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (273)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (275)
Desafío de Las NO-Recomendaciones: Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)

No-recomendado por Xime García e Yvette
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I received an ARC of the book "Iron Traitor" and even though the flaps on the dust jacket told me the story would appeal to me, I was put off by the publisher - Harlequin Teen. Me? Read a Harlequin Teen book? I don't think so! Folks, I was wrong. This series is good. Not great - and I would rate Girl of Fire and Thorns series as better - but Iron King is a good book. It is a sort of mashup containing elements of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and American Gods along with a healthy dose of steampunk and romance. Don't let the romance dissuade you. It is there and provides some tension for the story but is only one element.

There are the cliches and there is some just plain bad writing, but overall the plot is very well done with plenty of action and intrigue. This one might be a good series to listen to as well, since it is available on Audible. I can totally see this being read on long cross country trips. This is pure escapism. Perfect for reading on chaise lounge on a summer day at the beach. I just checked out book 2 - Iron Daughter from the library because the story has so intrigued me. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jun 4, 2015 |
Plot: Although there are a lot of elements that are commonly found in other faery books (Seelie and Unseelie Courts, Summer and Winter Fey, etc.), the world created by Kagawa is still unique. She created her own Fey that I had never read about before. Meghan's journey takes her to many different places and there was no way to anticipate what would happen next or who she would meet. There is action, suspense, and a little bit of mystery as the characters try to find Ethan and figure out who the Iron King is and where he came from.

Characters: I loved all of the characters in this book. Meghan, the main character, is half human/half faery who also happens to be a princess. She is a pretty awesome heroine and I loved her sarcastic personality. She was also independent, selfless and extremely stubborn which made me admire her because she knew what she wanted and fought for it. I just wish she hadn't been so dependent on the boys to save her all the time. The other characters include Ash, the Winter prince, Robbie/Puck, Meghan's best friend and Grimalkin, a cat faery that helps Meghan along the way. I genuinely enjoyed each and everyone of these characters. They were all different and had their own distinct personalities. They all stood out in their own distinct way. However, my favorite would probably have to be Puck because of his great sense of humor. He had me laughing out loud quite a bit.

Cover: The cover is gorgeous! I love all of the swirly vines/tress. Also, the girl represents Meghan nicely.

Overall Impression: Awesome! Why did I wait almost a year to read this? I can't wait to start The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
I went into this book having already read The Lost Prince. with that in mind, some of the characters were familiar to me, but I don't feel that it ruined the story for me at all.

I love the world that the author had created. I was completely enthralled with the story and found myself being completely sucked in and unable to walk away.

I felt a strong connection to Meghan. I always felt as a teen that I didn't fit into the world I lived in and felt almost invisible to those around me. Of course, I didn't have write the answer that she did.

My favorite scene in the while book was when Meghan finally figured out who Robbie was. I literally nearly sprayed iced tea all over my Kindle I was laughing so hard! I even tweeted that fact at the author.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible