The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:WeaselOfDoom
Title:The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:eBook, 2013
Rating:**1/2

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Kerian)
    Kerian: The Iron King ties to and borrows characters from this work, a book which also has romance. Not everyone who likes one book will like the other, but some will.
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (kiwiflowa)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (SunnySD)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: Both feature the traditional and modern worlds in conflict as a theme.

English (272)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (274)
I went into this book having already read The Lost Prince. with that in mind, some of the characters were familiar to me, but I don't feel that it ruined the story for me at all.

I love the world that the author had created. I was completely enthralled with the story and found myself being completely sucked in and unable to walk away.

I felt a strong connection to Meghan. I always felt as a teen that I didn't fit into the world I lived in and felt almost invisible to those around me. Of course, I didn't have write the answer that she did.

My favorite scene in the while book was when Meghan finally figured out who Robbie was. I literally nearly sprayed iced tea all over my Kindle I was laughing so hard! I even tweeted that fact at the author.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This review will also be up on BOOKLIKES!

"You would do anything to find your brother -- put yourself in danger, bargain with the enemy, give up your own freedom -- if it means saving him. You'd likely do the same for your friends, or anyone else you care about. Your personal loyalty is your breaking point, and your enemies will certainly use it against you. That is your weakness, princess. That is the most dangerous aspect in your life."

When I went to school in Italy, my Italian (which is the equivalent to English class) teacher liked to work on our creativity. In her mind, we were all young authors/poets/artists/whatever just dying to break out of the boring school roles and do something amazing with our... erm, talents. I had a knack for story-telling, whereas my crush had a knack for comic-book writing. He'd hand in homework in the form of comic books and the art was so beautiful, so in detail that people always found it hard to believe it came from the fingers of an eleven year old.

Anyway, every week or so, Doddy (the teacher) would give us a creative assignment. One week, it was to write a collection of short poems about the season, another week it was write fanfiction about the class (which was awkward to do, even at eleven) and one week it was to write a story -- however long we wanted it to be -- about something completely fantastical. "The stuff dreams are made of," she said. "Something only you can think up, no one else. Gather those thoughts and write me a story."

Where everyone else wrote their favourite film in eleven-year-old-story form (someone wrote a Lord of the Rings short story, but instead of the ring, Frodo -- or Franco, as he was called -- had to deliver a magic umbrella to the Mountain of Everlasting Rain) I wrote about faeries.

Bearing in mind, I was ELEVEN. So when I say that this story sounds a lot like the assignment I did that one time I mean it. Thinking back to that assignment, it had the same premise: MC goes to the faerie land to save someone and gets stuck (in my story).

The Iron King has a premise I'd only ever seen in younger stories, where Meghan Chase travels to the Nevernever to save her four year old brother. He'd been kidnapped and replaced with a changeling, and this changeling is evil. So obviously she wants her brother back.

I guess my main problem with the book was Meghan. At sixteen years of age, you'd think her voice would sound like it. However, she came across as whiny, immature and childish. In her position, I'd probably feel as helpless, awed and horrified as she did but it just didn't read like she was sixteen at all. Thirteen, definitely. Not sixteen.

My other problem was how... convenient the whole story was. Her childhood best friend turns out to be a faerie who had been set up to guard her, she turned out to be a princess (good God it took her forever to catch on to why people called her 'princess' all the time... even after the reason slapped her in the face) and you can pretty much guess what happens from around 20%. This not only made it anticlimactic, but it also took away that oomph.

So far, we have a predictable, young-sounding story. Which is already topping my list of no-no.

Not to mention that apparently the whole land and history of faeries is based on Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. This sounded SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME when it was first presented, but it failed to deliver. All we have to show for it is Puck, King Oberon and Queen Titania, which is sad. Really sad.

And of course, we have the hinting of a love triangle. It bothers me and I seriously hope that Puck is the projected love interest, because Ash?

He's boring, annoying and childish. I have no doubt that Kagawa meant to present him as irresistibly hot, charming and nice, but it failed. I get that he's supposed to be the Prince of some Court or other (was it the Winter court? The Unseelie court? I can't remember) but he came across as an annoying brat and the insta-love sucked more than it has in any other YA book I've read this year. Talk about out of the blue.

However, I'm probably going to end up reading more of the series. I've been told, repeatedly, that Meghan does some serious growing up and that she comes across as more mature in the next books. I hope that's the case, because I don't think I'd be able to deal with her crying/whining/passing out again.

(In total, I calculated that she cried 5 times, whined about everything 10 times, felt disbelief at least twice per page and passed out 5 times. Not good.)

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
The first thing I noticed about this book was the cover, it's gorgeous. I also noticed the pages, I love the swirly vine pattern on some of the pages in the book. It is gorgeous and a beautiful addition to my library; I love my ebooks but I can't wait to get a physical copy of the next book, The Iron Daughter, the cover is also truly beautiful.

I love Puck, I have always loved Puck in his many reincarnations whether Shakespearean or not. He is mischievous and just hilarious. I also like Ash but not quite as much as I like Puck. On the note of favorite characters, what person couldn't like Grim; he is completely awesome and a true faerie, deals and all.

It took a minute for me to get into the book and there are some predictable parts but not too many. I like the plot, it runs at a good fast pace. I do love the extreme imagination in this book, there is so much grandeur and so many truly unique contributions to faery lore. It is an honor to add this book to my faery literature shelf. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
The Iron King is a book about a girl named Meghan Chase. In 24 Hours Meghan will be sixteen. But strange this happen not her on her birthday. Meghan finds out that her brother Ethan Chase was taken to the NeverNever and a changeling was left in hike place. Meghan Chase goes to the NeverNever with her guardian Puck Goodfellow on an adventure o find her brother. On the way they tag along with the Winter prince who says he will help them find Meghan's brother if Meghan goes back to the Winter Court to be turned in to his mother. Meghan and the Winter prince go to the Iron King's Layer to find her brother. Once Meghan has found her brother and has taken him home the Winter prince shows up to take Meghan back with him.

I loved this book. I loved fiction book that take me on adventures and gets me rapped up in them. This book had me non-stop reading it. even thought it took me awhile i wanted to take in every word they said. i even imagined every where they went.Also i imagined every fight that went on in this book. i didm't want to do anything until i finished reading this book.But now that i'm done i can do anything until i read the next book in the series. ( )
  trinety.b4 | Oct 19, 2014 |

Julie Kagawaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Iron. Ice. A Love Doomed From The Start.
For Nick, Brandon and Villis. May we continue to beat those dead horses unto the ground.
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny--one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face, and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,262,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible