Why Does E=mc²?: (And Why Should We Care?)…

Why Does E=mc²?: (And Why Should We Care?)

by Brian Cox, Jeff Forshaw (Author)

1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
I really, really want to understand this. It started well, but when the maths kicked in i got lost. You Do have to have more than a basic understanding of maths to get this. ( )
  JWoolfenden | Nov 25, 2013 |
An attempt to combinte pop science with chick lit. = to : ( ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I found this book both frustrating and riveting. I'm abysmal at maths, so portions of the book that were heavy on the mechanics of the equations mentioned left me a little bored when I couldn't completely follow (not to mention depressed about not being good at adding). But then the non-math heavy parts were very engaging and it was hard to not get caught up in the enthusiasm of the authors. There were places I wished for more of an explantion and things I found would have been useful if they had been mentioned earlier, but overall I was very glad I stuck with the book. I got a sense of what went into that one small equation that says so much about the universe. It's pretty awe-inspiring.

Also, a million points to any book that makes you stick your hand in the air and smile as you imagine heaps of neutrinos passing through your thumb. Very cool. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
As a layman who is interested in Physics and finds some books too technical and many others lack of precision and depth, I found this book brilliant and very helpful. It is an easy-to-follow popular science book, yet more profound than that.

Most of all, it isn't a book that just throws out "facts", results and theories towards you. It gives the readers an opportunity to looke into minds of the great, to think like a physicist and to understand how theories of Relativity and some other scientific ideas came into being.

Finally, aided by this book, I came to understand Einstein's theories of Special Relativity in detail. It really has given me more insights into this subject than any other book I've read on the same topic.

The only thing that left me somehow unsatisfied, is its brevity on theories of General Relativity, of which, the book only explains its concept. Although the mathematics should be difficult, I'd really like to learn more, by following a similar way that this wondeful book has guided us through previously. ( )
  vlucia | Mar 2, 2013 |

Brian Coxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forshaw, JeffAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
What do the words "space" and "time" mean to you?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0306817586, Hardcover)

Product Description
The most accessible, entertaining, and enlightening explanation of the best-known physics equation in the world, as rendered by two of today’s leading scientists. Professor Brian Cox and Professor Jeff Forshaw go on a journey to the frontier of 21st century science to consider the real meaning behind the iconic sequence of symbols that make up Einstein’s most famous equation, E=mc2. Breaking down the symbols themselves, they pose a series of questions: What is energy? What is mass? What has the speed of light got to do with energy and mass? In answering these questions, they take us to the site of one of the largest scientific experiments ever conducted. Lying beneath the city of Geneva, straddling the Franco-Swiss boarder, is a 27 km particle accelerator, known as the Large Hadron Collider. Using this gigantic machine—which can recreate conditions in the early Universe fractions of a second after the Big Bang—Cox and Forshaw will describe the current theory behind the origin of mass.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:01 -0400)

A deeply fascinating, engaging, and highly accessible explanation of Einstein's equation, using everyday life to explore the principles of physics.

140 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,149,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible