Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Books 1-5)…

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Books 1-5)

by Rick Riordan

Summary:
The Percy Jackson series is an amazing series for young and older adults. Percy is a humble hero who faces many challenges and his friendships, courage, and the will to do the right thing gets him through them all. I have always found stories of the gods and goddesses interesting and opens your mind to new creative perspectives. Percy faced each situation with courage no matter the odds. Percy is a demigod and doesn't know it until he is running for his life from mythical head hunters. A thief steals Zeus's thunderbolt and the mythological community all blame Percy because he is Poseidon's son. Percy and his best friend and Annabeth all go on a search to save his mom. They find the lightening thief and recover the thunderbolt saving the world while adjusting to the world including Roman and Greek mythology being mostly true.

Personal Reaction:
I admire Percy's character with his courage, kind heart, and inner strength. I also enjoy reading how different authors describe and characterize the gods and goddesses of roman and greek mythology most of them are different which demonstrates each authors imagination and creativity.
Extension Ideas:
We could have a party where each student comes dressed as their favorite god or goddess and the student can give a short summary of what they think their god or goddess would be like.
Have the students write a short summary of the difference between the Roman and the Greek mythology.
Have a discussion on how the students can help each other like Percy does with his friends.

Extension ideas:
-have the kids do a book report on which of the five books is their favorite.
-have the kids pick a god or goddess and draw what they think they would really look like. ( )
  SarahSpangler0515 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Percy Jackson in this story learns he is half god and the son of Poseidon. I really enjoyed this book because it was action packed and had a good story line. I would use this book in a classroom that is studying Ancient Greek Mythology. ( )
  AliciaFine | Jun 4, 2014 |
[Percy Jackson and the Olympians] by [[Rick Riordan]] illustrated by Rick Riordan. This is a older fiction story book , That a boy named Percy Jackson goes on adventures to save or rescue someone in different places and he doesn't tell stories from the past I't happens in present. When he goes on adventures I like when he fights and when I read the book It makes me feel like i'm alive in the story.
I think this book is a good book to read because If you like adventurous stories well here is the book.
It is a big book and it is interesting, you can read this book in 1 week.
If I was you I would definitely read this book. (stars) 4.27.

My Response

(Instead of reviewing each book individually, I've decided to rate them all together). Each and every Percy Jackson book was AMAZING! With every single page, Rick Riodrain, using his magic touch, adds humor, romance, and just plain adventure! I highly recommend each and every Percy Jackson story!

First, the characters were just all so unique! You literally have thousands of unique characters, each of them well-developed and realistic.
I loved the idea of the demigods (a decedent of a Greek god or goddess and a human). Each demigod has unique traits that correspond to the realm of control their parent has over the world (i.e. Percy, who is the son of Poseidon, the god of the sea can manipulate water, etc). This was a fresh, creative idea!

I also loved the plots of each and every story! No story was even close to being similar; they each had individuality and fresh, new ideas on Riordan's part. Each story was filled with LOTS of action, romance, and TONS of humor. Riordan really knows how to "spice it up!" I also LOVED the narration by Percy! :-) He has such a great sense of humor!

This really helped my insight on Greek mythology in such a creative way it felt like I didn't even know I was learning! :-) I imagine this technique will be useful to young readers who, like me, will definitely fall under the influence of Riodran's master skills as storyteller.

All in all, I loved the whole series! These books are definitely recommended to fans of fantasy (specifically Harry Potter) and fans of Greek mythology. (However, let me confess, the movies highly disappointed me!) Happy reading...may the gods be ever in your favor! :-) ( )

(Other persons response) ( )
  AmalV | Mar 28, 2014 |
The Percy Jackson books have become an incredible young adult series. These books take Ancient Greek mythology and establish them in our modern day world. The story follows young demigods on epic quests to fight monsters, accomplishing the impossible, and save the world (multiple times). These stories are pure adventure and down right heroic, if that's what you love I strongly recommend reading this series (maybe more than once). ( )
  BookSeekers | Dec 28, 2013 |
An unlikely hero find his place in a whole new world. ( )
  makasireh | Nov 27, 2013 |
This LT work consists of all five novels in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, namely: Book 1, The Lightning Thief; Book 2, The Sea of Monsters; Book 3, The Titan's Curse; Book 4, The Battle of the Labyrinth; and Book 5, The Last Olympian. Please do not combine it with any individual title or other collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,229,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible