Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Books 1-5)…

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Books 1-5)

by Rick Riordan

6561914,665 (4.45)27

This series is SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!

I have been into Greek Mythology for about two years before I read these. Now, it's all I talk about!

If you are into books with action, humor and no sparkling weird things like that, this is your go-to book!
I was jumping for joy when I read the second series. Longer than this one, maybe less enjoyable when you get to Blood of Olympus........but still, REALLY REALLY GOOD!!
For all you fans, Rick Riordan is writing a WHOLE NEW SERIES of Greek Myths, and Apollo is the star! This means that the chapter titles are........very bad haikus!!!!
(Not sure if Riordan wants us to die laughing- or die because the haikus became evil minions of Apollo!) ( )
  22-eleanor.sears | Oct 19, 2015 |
good book ( )
  hyjtyjtyjty | Aug 4, 2015 |
I found it too kiddish - maybe it's because I'm almost 30. Don't get me wrong. Ive read the harry potter series and loved them so much that I saw all their movies and played their pc games too. But this one is too predictable on a lot of occasions:

1) bad guy comes, irritates/tortures hero, hero does a strike move, wins, praise, cheesy dialogues and lots of "how did i do that". it gets boring pretty fast.

2) hero asks qs, answered with riddles, more qs more riddles, someone else comes into the picture who is very reputed and the conversation stops. this someone else regards hero lower than himself but just then or maybe sometime later event (1 above) happens. Now this guy holds the hero in very high regard and explains some stuff to him.

3) hero is just doing his normal daily stuff. Someone comes up to him and either starts taunting him or starts chatting with him. Either way the hero is told some amazing facts and now he goes to character (2 above) and gets a lot of explanation about it.

The same cycle keeps repeating endlessly. so i stopped halfway through the book. too bad i wont read the rest of the series. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
The Percy Jackson series is an amazing series for young and older adults. Percy is a humble hero who faces many challenges and his friendships, courage, and the will to do the right thing gets him through them all. I have always found stories of the gods and goddesses interesting and opens your mind to new creative perspectives. Percy faced each situation with courage no matter the odds. Percy is a demigod and doesn't know it until he is running for his life from mythical head hunters. A thief steals Zeus's thunderbolt and the mythological community all blame Percy because he is Poseidon's son. Percy and his best friend and Annabeth all go on a search to save his mom. They find the lightening thief and recover the thunderbolt saving the world while adjusting to the world including Roman and Greek mythology being mostly true.

Personal Reaction:
I admire Percy's character with his courage, kind heart, and inner strength. I also enjoy reading how different authors describe and characterize the gods and goddesses of roman and greek mythology most of them are different which demonstrates each authors imagination and creativity.
Extension Ideas:
We could have a party where each student comes dressed as their favorite god or goddess and the student can give a short summary of what they think their god or goddess would be like.
Have the students write a short summary of the difference between the Roman and the Greek mythology.
Have a discussion on how the students can help each other like Percy does with his friends.

Extension ideas:
-have the kids do a book report on which of the five books is their favorite.
-have the kids pick a god or goddess and draw what they think they would really look like. ( )
  SarahSpangler0515 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Percy Jackson in this story learns he is half god and the son of Poseidon. I really enjoyed this book because it was action packed and had a good story line. I would use this book in a classroom that is studying Ancient Greek Mythology. ( )
  AliciaFine | Jun 4, 2014 |
This LT work consists of all five novels in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, namely: Book 1, The Lightning Thief; Book 2, The Sea of Monsters; Book 3, The Titan's Curse; Book 4, The Battle of the Labyrinth; and Book 5, The Last Olympian. Please do not combine it with any individual title or other collection of titles from the series. Thank you.

31 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible