Living Out Loud by Anna Quindlen

Living Out Loud

by Anna Quindlen

For a long time, Molly Ivins and Anna Quindlen have been my two favorite columnists, political or otherwise -- although Quindlen long ago stretched beyond that label, writing fiction that I have always found honest and moving. And Quindlen's columns, while sometimes covering ground that Ivins (now sadly deceased) covered, spring equally from heart and mind.

This is a collection of Quindlen's columns from the 1980's, grouped into various headings that cover the whole range of life: from memories of her childhood, the death of her mother at an early age, growing up and starting a "man's" job in a very patriarchal field, marriage, children and balancing these with career, friendships, happiness, illness and death. All these are written in Anna Quindlen's characteristic poetic voice, and almost always with that enviable ability to wrap it up with a final line that movingly crystallizes what she has just written and makes me stop and softly go "wow".

And I may have found a hook here to entice my 14-year-old son Jacob into my book world. He has become entranced with the music of my salad days, envying my "being there" when his favorite artists began their music, even buying vinyl LP's which often mirror what I used to buy. One of Quindlen's columns is an homage to the music she grew up with (she's 2 years older than me): "Raised on Rock-and-Roll". I think Jacob will love it. ( )
  burnit99 | Jun 7, 2012 |
Living Out Loud is a collection of heartfelt, hilarious and beautifully written newspaper columns. Anna Quindlen articulates what so many of us are living in a manner that makes us think "Wait!That’s my life she’s talking about!" She takes parenting, personality, work, marriage, and society at large and melds her experiences into the experiences of us all. She is witty, and sentimental, and often just plain makes a reader think.

For many years her column was the first thing I read in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE. It always set a tone for my day, usually an upbeat one ( )
  siubhank | Sep 28, 2007 |
To take what there is, and use it, without waiting forever in vain for the preconceived - to dig deep into the actual and get something out of that - this doubtless is the right way to live. ---Henry James

"A panopticon of life in this decade, sure to be valuable to future social historians She touches on life, love, home, family, work, men, women, children and issues large and small."
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
The voice is Anna Quindlen's. But we know the hopes, dreams, fears, and wonder expressed in all her columns, for most of us share them. With her NEW YORK TIMES-based column, "LIFE IN THE 30s," Anna Quindlen valued to national attention, and this wonderful collection shows why.
As she proved in OBJECT LESSONS and THINKIN OUT LOUD, Anna Quindlen's views always fascinate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

A collection of the author's "Life in the Thirties" newspaper columns.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible