The Silver Sword (1956)

by Ian Serraillier

2,159385,348 (3.94)1 / 85
The night the Nazis come to take their mother away, three children escape in a terrifying scramble across the rooftops. Alone in the chaos of Warsaw, they have to learn to survive on their own.
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr (markbarnes)
    markbarnes: Both books tell the story of escape from Nazi Germany, through a child's eyes. Although quite different from one another, both are poignant, and beautifully written.
    I am David by Anne Holm (Cecrow)
    Star of Danger by Jane Whitbread Levin (bookel)
    Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Siblings looking after each other in a real world, without parents.
    Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop (infiniteletters)

I read this when I was 11/12 years old. It had a fab beginning and was gripping all the way through. Read it again recently and it was the same BUT major really good bits had been edited out. Really exciting bits like hiding under a chain to escape by the boy had been replaced by the father doing something similar. Bring back the original please ( )
  mumoftheanimals | Jan 17, 2021 |
I read this book as a young boy, and was tremendously moved, challenged and fascinating by the history and the experiences of this little family. Outside Christianity, its probably one of the books that has most influenced me as it awakened by mind to the horrors and glories of war. ( )
  mark_read | Aug 13, 2020 |
We read this as one of our set novels in year seven. My greatest memory of it is my friend pronouncing Nazi to rhyme with snazzy. I liked the book well enough, too. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
3.5 stars.

Mum bought this for me from a secondhand bookshop on a road trip when I was in primary school, and I loved it (I think I also got gastro on that trip and it was a good distraction from the puking!).

I found it again when moving house and figured I’d give it a reread as an adult.

A bit simplistic and optimistic from an adult’s point of view, but still a wonderful story and engaging plot. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | Nov 19, 2019 |
I read this book over 7 years ago and found it to be incredible. When reading this book one can expect to go on a rollercoster of emotions. The suspense and the action in the sotry adds a great sense of drama to the novel. Overall an amazing read. ( )
  noorhassan | Jun 16, 2019 |

A beautiful story suitable for both adults and children. I loved the vivid descriptions of Europe at war and how children fought tooth and nail for their own survival.

added by meephraim | editReader - Johannesburg, Elaine Ephraim

Ian Serraillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hodges, C. WalterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Here is no final grieving, but an abiding hope.
The moving waters renew the earth. It is spring."
--Michael Tippett, A Child of Our Time
To Helen
This is the story of a Polish family, and of what happened to them during the Second World War and immediately afterward.
Later alternative title "Escape from Warsaw"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,949,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible