The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier

The Silver Sword (1956)

by Ian Serraillier

1,869345,825 (3.94)1 / 74
The night the Nazis come to take their mother away, three children escape in a terrifying scramble across the rooftops. Alone in the chaos of Warsaw, they have to learn to survive on their own. Then they meet Jan, a ragged boy with a paperknife, the silver sword that they recognize as belonging to their long lost father. The sword becomes their symbol of hope as, with Jan, they begin the hazardous journey across war-torn Europe to find their parents. Based on a true story. Suggested level: primary, intermediate.… (more)
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr (markbarnes)
    markbarnes: Both books tell the story of escape from Nazi Germany, through a child's eyes. Although quite different from one another, both are poignant, and beautifully written.
    I am David by Anne Holm (Cecrow)
    Star of Danger by Jane Whitbread Levin (bookel)
    Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Siblings looking after each other in a real world, without parents.
    Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop (infiniteletters)

3.5 stars.

Mum bought this for me from a secondhand bookshop on a road trip when I was in primary school, and I loved it (I think I also got gastro on that trip and it was a good distraction from the puking!).

I found it again when moving house and figured I’d give it a reread as an adult.

A bit simplistic and optimistic from an adult’s point of view, but still a wonderful story and engaging plot. ( )
  Shabraque | Nov 19, 2019 |
I read this book over 7 years ago and found it to be incredible. When reading this book one can expect to go on a rollercoster of emotions. The suspense and the action in the sotry adds a great sense of drama to the novel. Overall an amazing read. ( )
  noorhassan | Jun 16, 2019 |
Had this read to me as a child and reread as an adult. A story of hope and hardship. Great read. ( )
  Deborah_J_Miles | Jun 1, 2019 |
A fast-paced children's adventure that doesn't shirk describing realities of its time - World War II Poland and Germany. A little too young adult for my adult taste but still an enjoyable quick read. ( )
  heggiep | Feb 15, 2019 |
The story of 3 children determined to find their parents after they were taken away by nazi soldiers. A touching look at war from children's eyes. ( )
  TheWasp | Oct 6, 2018 |

Ian Serraillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hodges, C. WalterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Here is no final grieving, but an abiding hope.
The moving waters renew the earth. It is spring."
--Michael Tippett, A Child of Our Time
To Helen
This is the story of a Polish family, and of what happened to them during the Second World War and immediately afterward.
Later alternative title "Escape from Warsaw"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,223,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible