The Red Book by Carl Jung

The Red Book

by Carl Jung

Laura Battle gave me this.
  susanaberth | Jan 16, 2014 |
The Red Book does a great job of telling a weird and interesting story without the use of words. We get a real sense of plot and character through the pictures.
  mrea | Sep 26, 2013 |
Yes, for us Carl Jung fans this book is the Grail, but really it is kind of a let down. Aesthetically this book is the revelation all of us hoped it would be. The paper, the typography, the reproductions are scrumptious. (Yes, I ate them.)

But there is a little bit of the presentation that leaves me head scratching. There is sort of this "introduction to Carl Jung," section and I think to myself, why would anyone interested in this book need an introduction to Carl Jung? And let's be serious: this is Jung's dream journal. There's your content. I loved looking at the pictures. If you wanted something else you are barking up the wrong tree.

Speaking of the pictures, I was struck by similarity to Crowley & Harris' Thoth tarot deck. That tightly wound bear trap is where I am going to leave it. ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 21, 2013 |
This is quite a book that I was able to check out of the Levittown Library and able to peruse. This is a manuscript that Jung worked on from 1914 to 1930 setting down or, better yet, recreating his visions including much from his inner dream life. This facsimile is almost like a medieval manuscript with many hand drawings, beautiful in color. The first letter of each chapter is illustrated. The first letter D shows a vision of quite village sitting by a lake, somewhat dominated by a church with a steeple. The D itself is in red and sits on top of the water. In the lower left of the red an an urn with flames bursting upwards -- out of the flames is a long serpent with a crowned head. Although the sky within the D is in daylight cloudy day, the sky above the letter D is dark, suggesting night, with a crescent moon not too far away from the crown on the snake's head. A guiding star exists on the upper right. The lower part of the picture seems to depict the strange plants and animals that one might find on an ocean floor.

I write this descirption to give you a sense of the first quarter of the first page of this book. The title in German for this beginning chapter is Der Weg des Komenden (The Way of What is to Come). But then there is a long quote from Isaiah (53:1-4) in Latin. And then Isaiah 9:6, John 1:14, Isaiah 35:1-8. On page two Jung starts his German text. Each sentence begins with a red letter and the whole volume is beautifully lettered.

There are larger illustrations throughout the book covering most if not all the page, and they are a treat to look at and try to understand. They have a quality of the Mandala to them. There is some Greek in the volume, some pieces of dialogue, as well as poetry. This is a book, huge as it is, to savour ( )
  vpfluke | Apr 14, 2012 |
I doubt I could do justice to this work in the way that a serious student of Jung's work could, but want to say it is magnificently produced, with Jung's original manuscript carefully reproduced, as well as an English translation and commentary providing historical and cultural context. The Red Book demonstrates, in magnificent, poetic words, and breathtaking, unforgettable imagery, nothing less than the Process of Self-transformation, of Individuation. ( )
  brittneydufrene | Nov 17, 2011 |

The most influential unpublished work in the history of psychology. When Carl Jung embarked on an extended self-exploration he called his “confrontation with the unconscious,” the heart of it was The Red Book, a large, illuminated volume he created between 1914 and 1930. Here he developed his principle theories—of the archetypes, the collective unconscious, and the process of individuation—that transformed psychotherapy from a practice concerned with treatment of the sick into a means for higher development of the personality.

While Jung considered The Red Book to be his most important work, only a handful of people have ever seen it. Now, in a complete facsimile and translation, it is available to scholars and the general public. It is an astonishing example of calligraphy and art on a par with The Book of Kells and the illuminated manuscripts of William Blake. This publication of The Red Book is a watershed that will cast new light on the making of modern psychology.
212 color illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:36 -0400)

When Carl Jung embarked on an extended self-exploration, the result was "The Red Book," a large, illuminated volume he created between 1914 and 1930. However, only a handful of people have ever seen it. Now, in a complete facsimile and translation, it is available to scholars and the general public.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible