Antichrista by Amélie Nothomb

Antichrista (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Amélie Nothomb, Shaun Whiteside (Translator)

475None21,718 (3.25)18
Member:christiguc
Title:Antichrista
Authors:Amélie Nothomb
Other authors:Shaun Whiteside (Translator)
Info:London: Faber, 2005.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, female author, belgian, friendship, adolescence, faber and faber, bookshelf25, tbr

Antéchrista by Amélie Nothomb (2004)

English (4)  French (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (9)
Antéchrista is a delightful game of psychological-cat-and-introverted-mouse built on the skeleton of an almost-serendipitous friendship between two teenage girls in their first year at university. This being Nothomb, events rapidly spiral into the playfully unexpected, shedding rapid-fire dialogues along the way.

I've read this book in four languages now, and I've enjoyed it every time. And even though nothing magical or unexplainable happens, Nothomb's novellas are set in a world that exudes a sense of quirky magical realism, a sense of the world -- and people's thoughts and behaviours -- being ever so slightly off kilter. They're a joy to read, in the sense that they make you feel like you're about to smile but not quite, because you're too focused on what twist the protagonists' train of thought is going to take in the next paragraph. ( )
  Petroglyph | May 27, 2013 |
վաղուց էի գնահատել, բայց էսօր մտա գրեմ, որ էշությո​
սրան կարդում ու հասկանում ես, որ պատանիներն (ում հ​ամար որ գրում ա) ավելի լավ ա Կոելյո կարդան, Բրեդբե​րի ու Բախ ու տենց... թե չէ էս հայվանը... պֆ...​ ( )
  Dorian_am | Mar 7, 2013 |
Blanche is a shy sixteen year old with an image and confidence problem, parents who don't understand her and a strong desire for a friend. Christa is a loud, confident sixteen year old who knows how to attract many friends. When they both attend the same college in Belgium aged two years younger than their classmates Blanche is amazed and delighted when Christa takes and interest in her. Blanche's parents are equally amazed and delighted, prizing Christa so much that they alienate Blanche further and ask Christa to move in. And that's when Blanche realises that her friend is really her enemy and has another personality which she names the Antichrista. But can Blanche stand up to her and win back her home, her family and find some self respect?

I love this book, first read it in 2006 when I borrowed it from Yeovil Library and spent the last two years wishing I had stolen it from them and trying to track it down (which I finally did on Biblio.com). Even the cover of my copy is perfect for the story and I find myself very firmly on Blanche's side, wanting to shake some sense into her parents and give Christa a good slap. It's hard to put my finger on why I love this book so much but think perhaps it is the foreign but familiar feel as I do love to find something that isn't clogging up the Times Bestseller/Richard and Judy/Waterstones chart and am finding that more and more I need to track down foreign translations to get something that bit more unusual and not so formula-written. The only trouble is that Amelie Nothomb has written other books and I wnat them but can't get them. Back to Biblio.com for me and onto my favourite books and authors lists for her. Highly recommend this wonderful book. ( )
  Jodyreadseverything | Sep 20, 2008 |

Amélie Nothombprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arijs, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Große, BrigitteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pàmies, SergiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whiteside, ShaunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Blanche er 16, men går på universitetet. Selv i Bruxelles er det ungt. Christa er også 16, men hun virker meget ældre. Hun udstråler selvtillid og har masser af venner. Blanche vil helst være alene med sine bøger. Eller det er hun i hvertfald. Indtil Christa beslutter sig for, at hun kan bruges. Blanche føler sig beæret over Christas opmærksomhed og på en eller anden måde ender det med, at hun skal overnatte hjemme hos Blanche om mandagen. For Christa bor langt væk og skal derfor op kl. 4 for at nå til timer kl. 8. Gab. Blanches forældre er vilde med den glade og larmende Christa. Hvorfor kan Blanche ikke være mere som hende? Det siger de! Flere gange! Christa snakker ikke om sin familie. Men de er fattige. Sociale tilfælde. Men kæresten Detlev ligner David Bowie. Til sidst flytter Christa helt ind. Og bare sådan er det hende, der er datteren i huset. Blanche bliver usynlig. Hendes forældre forguder Christa. Men Blanche har luret hende. I vikeligheden er hun Antichrista. Og det skal bevises…

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,421,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible