The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

The Monstrumologist

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Monstrumologist (1)

DNF at page 100. Disappointingly one of the most boring books I've had the displeasure to read. I wanted to like this book, but literally nothing happens as the story progresses, and progress it does at the pace of a snail. The 100 pages I managed to get through consisted of 5% action and the rest was talking and repeating the same thoughts over and over and over...to the point of madness; which, ironically, is not unlike the mad doctor in the story. ( )
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |
Had to put this one down. I liked the shades of Frankenstein, but the gore was excessive, to the point that I could no longer overlook it in an otherwise intriguing plot with creepy atmosphere and well-written characters.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Yes, my dear child, monsters are real. I happen to have one hanging in the basement. Orphan Will Henry James assists Dr. Pellinore Warthrop in his effort to hunt and destroy the Anthropophagi. These monsters have a mouth in the center of their chest, eyes on their shoulders and their brain in their "groin". Written for young adults, it's quite graphic when describing the carnage and the vocabulary is higher than most newspapers. A bit of a twist at the end of the book. :-) ( )
  sraelling | May 6, 2018 |
I really was not expecting to like this book, and it did start off kind of slowly.

I really started liking this book once things started to get serious (after the Erasmus Gray incident). Doctor Warthrop's character annoyed me a great deal because he seemed both absent minded and intensely focused to the point of being neglectful. Towards the end, I ended up liking him over all.

I definitely felt sorry for Will Henry more than once because he gets dragged through all kinds of hell for Warthrop simply because he is all he has in life after his parents' deaths.

Kearns is one character that I hated from the first moment. I won't say why to avoid spoilers, but I had my eye on him from appearance 1.

Over all, I really enjoyed this story and the characters all worked well together, creating a setting and pace that had me hooked (after the slow beginning). I will definitely be continuing on to the next book. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franken, AxelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sandy
The director of facilities was a small man with ruddy cheeks and dark, deep-set eyes, his prominent forehead framed by an explosion of cottony white hair, thinning as it marched toward the back of his head, cowlicks rising from the mass like waves moving toward the slightly pink island of his bald spot.

These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed.But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets.The one who saved me... and the one who cursed me.So begins the journal of Will Henry, orphaned assistant to Dr. Pellinore Warthrop, a man with a most unusual specialty: monstrumology, the study of monsters. In his time with the doctor, Will has met many a mysterious late-night visitor, and seen things he never imagined were real. But when a grave robber comes calling in the middle of the night with a gruesome find, he brings with him their most deadly case yet.

AR Level 7.0, 18 pts

In 1888, twelve-year-old Will Henry chronicles his apprenticeship with Dr. Warthrop, a scientist who hunts and studies real-life monsters, as they discover and attempt to destroy a pod of Anthropophagi.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible