The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess…

The Financial Lives of the Poets (edition 2009)

by Jess Walter

Member:kate.librarian
Title:The Financial Lives of the Poets
Authors:Jess Walter
Info:Harper (2009), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012

The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter

My sister took some kind of American Fiction class and this was one of the assigned readings. It was lying around the house so I picked it up --this is definitely not the kind of book I would normally buy or even borrow from the library (white writer gets involved with some unsavory dealings--no thnx) but I realized that the novel had grown on me when I got excited that the protagonist was going to get out of his foreclosure by selling two pounds of weed.

I wish I had saved the book to read when I was in Vegas -- I had to stick with "I, Claudius" when I was lounging by the Paris hotel poolside. Overall, a very entertaining read and a more literary version of the breezy summer read. I liked reading this after White Noise --both novels are written in the first-person; the protagonists are white guys reaching middle age; both reflect contemporary life in America (or at least, American life during the contemporary periods in which they written). I would just like to point out that Financial Lives is way funnier than White Noise. ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
A fun easy read. Chapter 13, "On the Spiritual Crises of Financial Experts" is probably the best poem about finance I've ever read. Character: Matthew Prior, a journalist who quits his job to start a website devoted to financial journalism served up in blank verse. His career and marriage are flatlining; he gets involved with drug dealers, and gets involved with the police. A funny, engaging story on the theme of life falling apart and discovering what's essential and what's not. ( )
  charliesierra | Jul 5, 2014 |
I just fell in love with Jess Walter's "Beautiful Ruins", and I was really happy to see that he's been able to do his magic with this book too. The striking element in Walter's writing (in these 2 books at least) is his sense of humor, and that's where I see some readers not liking it because they just have a different sense of humor (or they just don't have one). I understand humor is a very personal thing.
However, while many "funny" books are just shallow, stupid, unfunny, or absurd, or very often unbalanced structural abominations (especially the ones with idiotic comments on the cover like "I barfed with laughter all the way through", or "you will be laughing so hard your hemorrhoids will explode" or something), "The Financial Lives" strikes a wonderful balance between comedy and drama, between very light-hearted moments and intimate, touching scenes. And all of it fitting in a harmonious structure. It is a joy to read. It is elegant, alla Italiana.
Do you have an idea of how hard it is to do that? To strike this kind of balance? It takes a very unique kind of alchemist, one who knows just how many drops of this and that substance is too little or too many.
I also loved the inventiveness of the poetry. Yes, of course is a joke, a game. But it's poetry, as well. And it bears meaning, too.
The best books are the ones where you can feel the writer's own enthusiasm and joy of writing, and I can say I felt that playfulness and joy all through the book, despite the very serious subjects.
Hats off, Mr Walter. This is the kind of story-telling that I wish I was able to pull off in my fantasy life as a writer. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
This was an enjoyable read & once I picked it up, I zipped through it much more quickly than I expected. Matt Prior is the narrator & I have to admit that at first I felt he was self-indulgent (I didn't care that that was the point), I didn't much like his wife either (I loved the children & Matt's father) but somehow I was pulled in & felt that I wanted everything to work out for he & his family eventhough he was making decisions high on the epicly stupid list. The main of the story takes place over a series of days as the foreclosure of the Prior's house looms & when Matt's plan finally goes completely off the rails, I was just relieved. I was rooting for the family to lose everything except each other because I couldn't take the crazy anymore.

Though satire, I must say that this pulled at my heart a bit. It felt a little crazy but I cared what happened to the characters. The ending was happier than I expected & I enjoyed that as well. Jess Walter certainly didn't disappoint. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
“The Financial Lives of the Poets” is less memorable for its title than for the success with which it captures fiscal panic and frustration... Mixing financial advice with poetry is a terrible idea. But combining the elements of tragedy with a sitcom sensibility is a good one. And it’s what Jess Walter continues to do best.

Poets have to dream, and dreaming in America is no cinch. Saul Bellow
For Anne, always
--Here they are again--the bent boys, baked and buzzed boys, wasted, red-eyed, dry-mouth high boys, coursing narrow bright aisles hunting food as fried as they are, twitchy hands wadding bills they spill on the counter, so pleased and so proud, as if they're the very inventors of stoned--
--Turns Out There Are Only Four Eskimo Words for Snow, However--

Matt Prior is losing his job, his wife, and his house, and he's about to lose his mind--until he discovers a way that he might possibly be able to save it all.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,151,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible