A Seal Called Andre by Harry Goodridge

A Seal Called Andre (edition 1975)

by Harry Goodridge, Lew Dietz

Member:Othemts
Title:A Seal Called Andre
Authors:Harry Goodridge
Other authors:Lew Dietz
Info:Down East Books (1975), Paperback, 182 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:***
Tags:READ2003, Harbor Seals, Maine, New England Aquarium, Human-Animal Relationships

A Seal Called Andre by Harry Goodridge

I read this book in the fourth grade. As a child "Andre" the book and movie, were very important to me!

Whole different story now that I'm an assistant Wildlife Rehabber.

It does seem, the way the book reads, that Andre was just special. And a rare case. I'd like to find more information about him.

The only thing I found difficult was that although I've lived in Maine my whole life, I don't live on the coast, and there are a few phrases and words he uses that I had to look up. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
There is story I remember reading as a child about a seal who is adopted by a human and lives in his home and eventually learns to “talk”, or at least mimic human speech patterns like a parrot, and eventually ended up living at the New England Aquarium. So while at Penury Hall, I picked this book up and thought it was the same story, and everything was similar to what I remembered except that Andre didn’t talk. So what did I read in school as a kid? A fictionalization of Andre’s story? A story of another seal adopted by humans that ended up at NEAq? Was it really written as I remember it? I liked Andre’s story all the same, even if Susan mocked me, because I like reading about friendships between humans and animals. A fun light read. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 22, 2008 |

10 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,428,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible