Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay

Indigo's Star (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Hilary McKay

Title:Indigo's Star
Authors:Hilary McKay
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2006), Paperback, 265 pages
Collections:Children's Literature, Your library, Favorites

Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, schoolofalternatives, newsandy, Mr.Steve, davidgn, sherryearly, olschool

English (15)  German (1)  All languages (16)
I loved this chapter book, it was so well written, and it kept me engaged the whole time. I could never put the book down, because all I wanted to do was finish the book. This book manages to address so many themes that are dear to me (the difficulties and delights of being eccentric, the tyranny of schoolyard bullies, the importance of being kind to the underdog, family love and loyalty) in a way that is heartfelt, serious, and funny. The author has an amazing way with language development, and truly making your heart feel warm. I also think that the author created amazingly strong imagery by explaining about how the characters received their names, and then their names said things about their appearances. It was beautiful, and neat. I thoroughly enjoyed this book for a chapter book read, and I am so glad I read it. ( )
  kbarry9 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I loved Saffy's Angel so much I came right back for more. I think the first is still my favorite, but I enjoyed this one very much!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A sequel to Saffy's Angel. The delightfully quirky Casson family is held together by its children, not their vague and oft-absent parents who, in some ways, are a bit unbelievable. I love Indigo, the kindest 13-year-old boy I've heard of. He lets his 8-year-old sister, Rose, tag along with him and loves his two older sisters just as much. He befriends an American boy in school and defends him from bullying even before he knows him because it is the right thing to do. The book says much about family, especially irregular families. The Cassons adopt all number of people into their midst, from Sarah, the rich neighbor girl to Michael, one of eldest sister Caddy's many boyfriends to Derek, another boyfriend and fixer of plumbing and electronics. At the end, Tom, the American boy, realizes he can accept his stepmother and stepsister into his family because of the time he spent with Indigo and Rose. A feel-good novel that address tough issues in an unsentimental way. ( )
  bookwren | Nov 18, 2012 |
This story in the series about the Casson family focuses on the problems Indigo faces when he returns to school after a long illness. He is once more the target of bullies but something has changed. There is a new American boy, Tom, in his class and they slowly become friends. Meanwhile, Rose worries about the absence of their father, Caddy brings home a string of unsuitable boyfriends and Saffy concentrates on her schoolwork. ( )
  RefPenny | Sep 20, 2010 |
Indigo is sick of getting hassled by the kids at school, until an American shows up to divert their attention. As he becomes friends with Tom, the boys take refuge with Indigo's loving (if scatterbrained) family of artists. 8-12 ( )
  Sarahfine | Feb 23, 2010 |
For the first time in his life Indigo Casson had been properly ill.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141691403X, Paperback)

Indigo, having just recovered from a bout of mononucleosis, must return to school after missing an entire semester. Only his younger sister and loyal sidekick, Rose, knows why he's dreading it so much. As it turns out, the school bullies are eagerly awaiting Indigo's return so that they can pick up where they left off -- flushing his head in the toilet. But Indigo hasn't counted on meeting Tom, an American student who is staying with his grandmother in England for the year. With his couldn't-care-less attitude and rock-and-roll lifestyle, Tom becomes Indigo's ally, and together they work to take back the school. Meanwhile, eight-year-old Rose is desperately trying to avoid wearing horrible glasses, nineteen-year-old Caddy is agonizing over her many suitors, Saffy is working overtime with her best friend, Sarah, to protect Indigo from the gang, and with their father, Bill, in London at his art studio, their mother, Eve, is just trying to stay on top of it all!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

Spurred on by his youngest sister, Rose, twelve-year-old Indigo sticks up for himself and an American boy who has replaced him as the primary target of the school bullies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,915,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible