Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay

Indigo's Star (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Hilary McKay

4401823,849 (4)8
Title:Indigo's Star
Authors:Hilary McKay
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2006), Paperback, 265 pages
Collections:Children's Literature, Your library, Favorites

Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay (2003)

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
I totally don't consider this hilarious. ?Only at the end does it get gently humorous, imo. ?áMostly it seems sad - this family does not seem like a happy one to me. ?áMom is always hiding in her shed, Caddy is dating a whole bunch of other boys because she thinks she shouldn't commit to Michael, Rose is aching for her Daddy who is almost never home from London and thinks her letters pleading for help are her jokes on him, Indigo is being bullied, Saffy and Sarah are almost invisible except for the time they come to Indigo's rescue (well, that was almost funny, as it was in the boys' bathroom at school... but still, mostly I felt embarrassed for Indigo, and I did not laugh), they almost never have enough to eat despite their father being able to consider travelling to Paris a chore....

To me this and Saffy's Angel read more like some sort of poignant *L*iterature or something. ?áI feel like I should love the Cassons, but after two tries I give up.

And I don't know what the Star is of the title. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A book for older children or younger teens about the delightful and disorganised Casson family. Indigo has been off school for some time with glandular fever, and although he is now recovered he doesn't want to go back to school at all, because he has been badly bullied. However, at last he must return... and to his surprise he meets a new boy, Tom, who does not seem to be worried by the bullies...

The story isn't just about school, or about bullying, however. There's an underlying thread about family breakdowns, with a sad but not unexpected revelation towards the end of the book. It's about family loyalty, too; Rose, Indigo's small sister, takes up the cudgels on his behalf and Tom is easily accepted and adopted into the extended Casson family chaos.

It's about maturity, too; about learning to deal with fears and worries, and about facing up to the worst that life can bring. There's nice irony in the book, and some light humour, and a great deal of warmth.

I didn't think it was quite as wonderfully refreshing as 'Saffy's Angel', the first book in the series, but still an engrossing and enjoyable book. It stands alone, so although more things make sense when read as a sequel, it's not necessary to have read that first.

Recommended to anyone of about eight or nine and older, including adults who want a light and relaxing read. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I loved this chapter book, it was so well written, and it kept me engaged the whole time. I could never put the book down, because all I wanted to do was finish the book. This book manages to address so many themes that are dear to me (the difficulties and delights of being eccentric, the tyranny of schoolyard bullies, the importance of being kind to the underdog, family love and loyalty) in a way that is heartfelt, serious, and funny. The author has an amazing way with language development, and truly making your heart feel warm. I also think that the author created amazingly strong imagery by explaining about how the characters received their names, and then their names said things about their appearances. It was beautiful, and neat. I thoroughly enjoyed this book for a chapter book read, and I am so glad I read it. ( )
  kbarry9 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I loved Saffy's Angel so much I came right back for more. I think the first is still my favorite, but I enjoyed this one very much!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A sequel to Saffy's Angel. The delightfully quirky Casson family is held together by its children, not their vague and oft-absent parents who, in some ways, are a bit unbelievable. I love Indigo, the kindest 13-year-old boy I've heard of. He lets his 8-year-old sister, Rose, tag along with him and loves his two older sisters just as much. He befriends an American boy in school and defends him from bullying even before he knows him because it is the right thing to do. The book says much about family, especially irregular families. The Cassons adopt all number of people into their midst, from Sarah, the rich neighbor girl to Michael, one of eldest sister Caddy's many boyfriends to Derek, another boyfriend and fixer of plumbing and electronics. At the end, Tom, the American boy, realizes he can accept his stepmother and stepsister into his family because of the time he spent with Indigo and Rose. A feel-good novel that address tough issues in an unsentimental way. ( )
  bookwren | Nov 18, 2012 |
For the first time in his life Indigo Casson had been properly ill.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141691403X, Paperback)

Indigo, having just recovered from a bout of mononucleosis, must return to school after missing an entire semester. Only his younger sister and loyal sidekick, Rose, knows why he's dreading it so much. As it turns out, the school bullies are eagerly awaiting Indigo's return so that they can pick up where they left off -- flushing his head in the toilet. But Indigo hasn't counted on meeting Tom, an American student who is staying with his grandmother in England for the year. With his couldn't-care-less attitude and rock-and-roll lifestyle, Tom becomes Indigo's ally, and together they work to take back the school. Meanwhile, eight-year-old Rose is desperately trying to avoid wearing horrible glasses, nineteen-year-old Caddy is agonizing over her many suitors, Saffy is working overtime with her best friend, Sarah, to protect Indigo from the gang, and with their father, Bill, in London at his art studio, their mother, Eve, is just trying to stay on top of it all!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

Spurred on by his youngest sister, Rose, twelve-year-old Indigo sticks up for himself and an American boy who has replaced him as the primary target of the school bullies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,757,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible